Which? Can Bus code reader OBD2. Engine fault code reader

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Phill D, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Phill D

Phill D

Hi all, i have scanned the threads for info on the above but not really found a definitive answer so i hope you guy's can help me out. (y)
    got stuck in "LONG"! tailback on M4 earlier in the week in the van. crawled for around 7 / 8 miles mostly on tickover. then the dreaded Engine Check light came on , on the dash. Cut a long story short no issue just did not like the extended period at tickover revs. fault was cleared and sorted .

Anyway decided i should get my hands on a portable fault code reader. having scanned many a thread and searched google all recommendations pointed me firmly at the following reader:-
    U480 Universal OBD2 Can bus fault code reader. for the pricey sum of £10.99 delivered.

it arrived next day, good handbook and CD data, plugged it in " it dont work on my van"!:cry:

it constantly shows the " Linling Error " statement after going through its routine.

so does any one have one that works on a FIAT Ducato 2.3 130 2012 that i can get the same ?

2. Ninovan

Ninovan Funster

Must be a Chinese one if it's coming up with a Linling error :roflmto::roflmto:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

Try it in another vehicle to see if it's the vehicle or the OBDII reader that's at fault.

4. Phill D

Phill D

:doh::doh:

sorrrry "linking error"! but your correct it is Chinese :Eeek:

5. Phill D

Phill D

going to do that in the morning, but had a message from the seller "it dont work on vans"! apparently stated in the listing! which i read and did not notice. been back and checked listing and it "Now" says dont work on vans"!:whistle2:

6. LaMB

LaMB Funster

7. ianhyslop

ianhyslop Funster

Ah so load a lubbish , you flo in lubbish bin .

• Like Like x 1
  8. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

Torque pro app & a Bluetooth OBD adaptor off eBay

9. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Is true, vans were not obliged to comply with ODB2 until long after cars. They may have the connector but not the standard protocol. I've failed on my 2003 motor.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Neckender

Neckender Funster

• Like Like x 1
  11. markh

markh

Maxiscan MS309 works on my 130 multijet and gives manufacturers codes too, £16.99 on amazon

• Like Like x 1
  12. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

I bought a dirt cheap bluetooth OBDII reader, and downloaded scantool (the free version), I think it cost about £10 off ebay. It has saved me £100's now, I have reset the MIL on all the family cars, mostly when I have done something wrong I hasten to add. Turned on the lights in the van without one of the headlamps connected, that required an MIL reset. Started my Astra without the mass airflow sensor attached, also requires MIL reset.

The diagnostic tests are very useful, plug in, set them running, and Bob is your uncle, a very handy tool. I am pretty sure that all the OBDII readers are much the same, it is just the software that goes on top of them that differs.

I have detected some real problems with it, wifes car kept getting MIL light come on, attached tool, only to discover that the EGR needed replacing, one afternoon, grazed knuckles and problem solved. Would never have sorted it without a scanner.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Phill D

Phill D

thanks all for the replies. (y)

tried the one i bought on neighbors car works fine, so not suitable for the van.

he had a lead with software on pc which worked fine on my van all sorted and reset. then he kindly agreed to swap devices...:cheers:

the fault code was for " clutch switch input circuit"! seems relevant as i was constantly using the clutch crawling for the 7 miles plus.

• Like Like x 1
  14. MikeD

MikeD Funster

I had a look through eBay for one then contacted the seller to ask for a recommendation for my list of vehicles.