Jun 26, 2009
Spain & Midlands
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
New this year 2009
Hi
As total beginners to this lark, I have been looking on Vicarious Books website as I would like to buy a comprehensive "how to" guide. As there appears to be various options, and keeping in mind weight and storage issues if we take said guide with us, can anyone recommend which books are invaluable?? We are also considering a trip thro France into Spain, maybe Portugal too if we can. Are the Aires books and good maps/ sat nav enough or are others recommended? We have already joined the CCC if that makes any difference!
Thanks for your help

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
This is the best handbook by far and I don't think you'll find it cheaper

Link Removed

As for the English language Aires books they are OK but when a French address is translated into English it exactly the same::bigsmile: French satnav coordinates are the same too:Smile: The official Aires books are not only cheaper they are much more comprehensive, most of the facilities are picture icons so you really don't need an inferior translation.

You can buy the official guides almost everywhere, including Vicarious

Upvote 0

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Its not always a book that will give you the answers to the questions you want/need to know.

Its all about getting out and experiencing things first hand, make mistakes and learn from them. The best ways are normally the ways that you have learned through your own experiences.

For travel abroad a map and a campsite guide is fundemental. Research the country that you are travelling to and at least know the law and your fist destination. After that follow your nose.

Read all of the posts on this forum. The info on here comes from experienced people who have been and done it.

Dont worry about it

Happy Days

Jim
:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi
As total beginners to this lark,
Thanks for your help

The pair of European CC club guides are very good. Like small telephone directories. Priced to make you join them.

ACSI good - get off peak discounts worth having. The DVD planner is good value for the money if you take a laptop.

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, i say decide where you want to go .get an atlas of europe and go. books of aires are available in any good book shop ,newsagent or supermarket in france. for a few euro,s. local maps can be purchased as necc. tourist offices give town maps sometimes area maps. practice makes perfect. the more you do it the better easier it becomes. i never use campsites in europe if i can help it. or any where else if i dont have to. honestly pack your van hit the road ,it falls into place as you go. read as much as you can on old threads on this site it covers just about every thing .ask as many questions as you want answers to. every body does it different . have fun life is too short. cheers alan.

Upvote 0

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Cool: Let me see now? Books for Motorhomers? In NO particular order:-

Wilbur Smith
Alistair Maclean
Dean Koontz
David Morrel
Douglas Reeman
Jeffrey Archer
John Le Carre
Stephen King
Tess Gerritsen
Ian Rankin
Chris Ryan
Sven Hassel
John Connolly
Michael Connelly
John Higgins
James Patterson
Peter Stroud
Stephen White
etc, etc, etc.
Too many to list. BUT ALL essentail reading to while away the hours while sunbathing and awaiting other distractions. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back