Which books for Germany

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by cliffandger, Jan 21, 2014.

1. cliffandger

cliffandger Funster Life Member

Just booked our Tesco voucher Channel Tunnel for a month away in May/June. Quick question for you all - which is the best Stellplatze book for Germany? I was going to go for the Vicarious Books one, but have noticed there are others on Amazon. We are toying between following the Rhine down through Germany and into Switzerland, or if the weather isn't so good heading for Italy, so any book suggestions on that would be welcome too! :Smile:

2. froggy59

froggy59 Funster

same plans as us, :thumb:we are going out on the 19th of may for 3 weeks I just have bordatlas that's a year old and this years acsi book.:Smile:

Alan

• Like Like x 1
  3. atlantisbird

atlantisbird

We did Poland ,Germany,France,Holland, Luxembourg and we had all sorts of maps but until we bought a Bord Atlas we found it difficult to find spelplatz.
    With this Bord Atlas although it is all in German you will find all the parking/campsites/spelplatz very easy to locate.
    Hope this helps but make sure if you are using satnav you have a european/Germany one?
    Just a thought.
    Harry

4. Nethernut

Nethernut Read Only Funster

Bordatlas has an app which has mapping built in so can be used off line - brilliant little app which is updated regularly. We have never bothered with the book just used this, covers much of Europe not just Germany

5. cliffandger

I will look into the app, and install it on my mobile. When you say Bord Atlas, is that the one from Vicarious Books?

We are going on the 19th May to stay overnight at Ashford then catch the tunnel early (9.00am - early for us..) on the 20th. Then we will either follow the Rhine, or follow the sun straight down to Italy! :Smile:

6. cliffandger

Just off to darts now, so will check up on the thread when I get home - its a competition night, so I shouldn't be late :Laughing:

7. Wyaye wires

Wyaye wires

How about, 'Mein Kampf' ? :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 2
  8. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

Bord atlas is the definitive publication-but,Vicariuos Books do an 'All the aires germany' which we used a couple of yrs ago with no problems :BigGrin:

Mike

9. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

We used the Bordatlas last year (kindly donated by Loujess, Ivy and Sandy) and found it very useful. Just downloaded the app from google but it appears to want me to log in to use it and mentions 2 months/12 months at varying prices. I suppose they don't give it away when there's a price for the books, anybody know different? Nethernutt?

10. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

Here you go. Bordatlas POI Downloads. :thumb: The books although not cheap, will cover most of Europe, and do you for a couple of years.

Enjoy Germany, it's a smashing country for touring, and like France, it's very MH friendly. :Smile: We find the Rhine a bit more industrial and noisier (trains) than the Mosel.
    The Romantische Strasse route is beautiful.

Cheers for now,

Jock & Rita. :Smile:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  11. icantremember

icantremember Funster

Hi Jock, thanks for putting those links up .... we are planning to head that way this year.

• Like Like x 2
  12. JockandRita

No problems Brian. You and Joyce will love it. August and September are good months to visit, as there is so much going on, eg, Dusseldorf Caravan Salon, Rhine In Flames, Wine Festivals, Oktoberfest, etc. :Smile:

See you both soon, :thumb:

Jock & Rita.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Nethernut

Nethernut Read Only Funster

I bought the app several years ago, think it was £2.50 and then renew subscription each year for about £2. IMHO it is worth he money, you have all the maps, off line search either by current position or a particular point. You also can post reviews, put Stellplatz into "favourites" and read other's reviews. Not sure about the book but the app has Stellplatz/Aires/Sostas etc in other countries too. For a single subscription I can run it on my iPhone and iPad. And, you don't have to carry a heavy book around with you, oh and the app is updated at least once a month plus, if you can understand german, there are links to news articles about motorhoming, sites etc.
    I bought the All the Aires book last year, wouldn't again as not impressed and too cumbersome to search through. I'll just depend on the app this year, not that we plan going to france this year!

• Like Like x 2
  14. gozomike

gozomike Funster Life Member Life Member

Hi.

Is that one still available? I cannot find it in their list of guides.

Mike

15. cliffandger

My hair is a beautiful auburn (thanks to my hairdresser) but I have to admit to a blonde moment.... and for wasting posters time...

Cliff reminded me that our Snooper S2000 sat nav has all the ACSI sites, and the whole European Bordatlas preloaded into it.

I used the ACSI site finder on it last year but completely forgot about the Bordatlas! :Doh:

• Like Like x 2
  16. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

The Bord Atlas 2014 is available on Amazon for £17.72 delivered! :thumb:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bordatlas-2014-B%C3%A4nden-Reisemobil-International/dp/3928803581/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390513099&sr=8-1&keywords=bordatlas+2014

As for the 'All the Aires' books from Vicarious, I'm not a fan because they do NOT contain ALL the aires! :RollEyes: The foreign ones, despite not being in English, are very easy to follow and much more complete.

We have a couple of good maps too, one very detailed good scale one for local planning such as places to go/see, and another for overall route planning - can't remember what they are at the mo though! :Doh:

• Like Like x 3
  17. JockandRita

Good choice of colour, coming from a natural. :thumb:

Never noticed. Sorry, what? :Wink:

Ah, but have you got the Free French Aire POIs?

Join the club. There are thousands of us out there. :Wink:

Cheers,

Jock.

• Like Like x 1
  18. cliffandger

Just bought the Bord Atlas 2014 from Amazon - thanks for the heads up! :Smile:

• Like Like x 2
  19. Wyaye wires

Wyaye wires

Not left yet and Bord already? :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 2
  20. jimiol

jimiol Funster

I used motorhome camperstop Europe it lists stops across Europe and had some very good sites in Germany and pictures along with prices, and although we went in 2013 with a 2013 guide the prices were often slightly out, apart from the free ones which were free.
    Also we did find one that had since been turned into something else but as there was another 5km away it wasn't a drama.
    It costs £25 but we saved that after our first 2 days.

http://www.camperstop.com/en/