Which Bike Rack for Motorhome - any advice? (1 Viewer)

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
My wife and I bought a couple of ebikes at the Harrogate show.

We now need to figure out how to carry them on the motorhome.

They're not folders so there is no way we can get them inside, so it is either a rack on the back or on the top. The latter just isn't feasible as each bike weighs 23kg so there's no way I could life it that high.

Our motorhome is a Burstner IXEO IT724.

Do we need a special bike rack or will any bike rack fit on this kind of motorhome?

Ideally I want something good, that will look nice and last - and of course security is very important too.

Any suggestions and pointers would be much appreciated.

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Contact Johnscross through the MHF web site or phone them , tell them your van details and i am sure you will get all the info you need ,::bigsmile:

I did the same the other year for my Rapido and you get MHF discount :thumb:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Bought mine from Johnscross good advise good service and Funsters discount. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Some sort of towbar mounted rack I think. Whatever you have it needs to be low to the ground and possibly have a ramp you can wheel the bike up.

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
If you can get a towbar fitted you would be wise to consider a Thule EuroPower which is designed for E-bikes rated at 30 kilos for each one. It weighs 18.9 kilos.

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
Broken Link Removed

Thought this was quite clever with integral ramp as well for e bikes.

Last edited:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Personally I wouldn't buy towbar mounted, too low easy for thieves to get at vulnerable to collision and adds unnecessary length to a vehicle. Surely you would take the batteries off before loading and store elsewhere then the bikes not much different to any other.

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
One thing to consider about a Thule is they are precision made and because they can be angled to allow access to a car boot the hinge mechanism has zero tolerance not like some other makes I've seen that rattle.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Bearing in mind the weight (and cost) of the batteries I would suggest removing them before putting the bikes on the rack.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You need to know 4 things:

1. What weight can your MH rear wall carry
2. What weight can the bike rack carry
3. What is the weight of the bikes without the batteries
4. What is the weight of the bikes with the batteries.

For the latter 2, make sure you weight the bikes yourself and do NOT rely on what you have been told by the seller as it can differ quite a bit as we found out!

This will help guide you to get something that is suitable and safe.

We have a van conversion and the maximum weight the bike rack on it can take is 35kg (coachbuilt MHs bike racks can usually take more) so we have had to buy electric bikes that were less than 17.5kg each without their batteries, fortunately after a lot of research etc we've finally got a couple that meet this specific requirement, as well as others, so we can put them on the bike rack it we want, once we're removed the batteries, and they will also go under our fixed bed as they are fairly narrow when folded (we put then under on their sides).

Last edited:

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
We have an Altera Strada towball mounted bike rack from the RoofBox company, 60kg limit, very pleased with the rack after initial problems with the lights setup.
We take the batteries off for travelling, the 21 kg bikes can be locked onto the rack, I also add a motorcycle chain lock for added security, very pleased with this method of carrying, has transformed our way we use our motorhome, hardly ever take it off site until moving on, e bikes or bus for us, or 2 feet!

Apr 20, 2012
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Camper van
Exp
1year 10 times
Have Thule towball mounted rack with 2 electric bikes minus batteries with chain lock secure and safe had a Fiamma high level rack with winder on last MH (already fitted when purchased MH ) always seemed to creak and groan ( much like me) when on bumby roads so did not really like the bikes so high up just a matter of choice there is definitely a large choice out there

OP
OP
yorkieman
Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Thanks to everyone for all that food for thought. I think I have some things to add to my todolist now, like contacting Johns Cross, checking out the Thule stuff (I picked up a recent brochure at Harrogate show) and looking at the other recommendations.

This weekend looks like a right-off weather wise so hopefully if I get going on it on Monday I might be able to get something sorted out for week after next.

Thanks again funsters!!!

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Max weight on most Fiamma Bike racks is 60kg so you should be ok, give us a call on Monday, you really need to speak to Glenn or Ian in the workshop

Phones tend to be busy Mondays and they will be just back from Peterbourough!

Peter

OP
OP
yorkieman
Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Max weight on most Fiamma Bike racks is 60kg so you should be ok, give us a call on Monday, you really need to speak to Glenn or Ian in the workshop

Phones tend to be busy Mondays and they will be just back from Peterbourough!

Peter

I'll try give them a call on Monday and get the ball rolling.

I need to sort something out asap as we want to take them with us on our next trip.

OP
OP
yorkieman
Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Got in touch with JohnCross today and received top class service.

I am just waiting to here from a fitter I contacted and then I will get the order in. Alas, he was really busy today, but hopefully he will call back tomorrow.

I'm just wondering whether I should order some solar panels off them and get the fitter to do those at the same time.

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Bike rack

Electric bike rack by Thule that fixes to towbar. The great advantage is that the rack is set at a lower level. Electric bikes are heavy to lift!

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
After reading this thread, and doing hours of research, I contacted Dan at Johns Cross. Great information and service.
Before I order my Fiamma Pro C, bike rack, I would need to get it fitted.

Anyone able to recommend for the Scarborough area.

Regards from a wet Scarborough.

automedon

Free Member
Mar 22, 2013
Huddersfield West Yorks.
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Sprinter convers
Exp
3 yrs
electric bike racks

My wife and I bought a couple of ebikes at the Harrogate show.

We now need to figure out how to carry them on the motorhome.

They're not folders so there is no way we can get them inside, so it is either a rack on the back or on the top. The latter just isn't feasible as each bike weighs 23kg so there's no way I could life it that high.

Our motorhome is a Burstner IXEO IT724.

Do we need a special bike rack or will any bike rack fit on this kind of motorhome?

Ideally I want something good, that will look nice and last - and of course security is very important too.

Any suggestions and pointers would be much appreciated.

Get to your nearest HALFORDS, they are selling just what you need for £316, fits two electric bikes and if you speak nice to the fitters they will demonstrate/fit it for you FOC. the other model made by the Belgian Co. CYKELL costs £495 and can only be purchased in Warwickshire.
have fun.
icon1.gif

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I looked at getting tow bar fitted to our LMC so that I could use our Thule bike rack-the weight of materials required to extend chassis members etc came to 50kg :cry:

Mike

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
As the average of a motorhomer is old, not teenagers . You would think the manufactures would make a low height bike rack as standard, even more so now with electric bikes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back