LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Anyone got advice on which A frame to buy? Have looked at Towtal, Armitage, CarAtow who all seem to be similar spec and price, then looked at Towbars to Towcars who are nearly twice the price when VAT added. :Sad:

Are they that much better? They say they utilise the car's towing eybolt and fit another at the same height so that the car is towed correctly as prescribed by manufacturer. Also fit indication in MH cab to let you know when you apply MH brakes, the toad is braking also.

Could almost buy a good seconhand trailer for the same money. Any advice please? :thumb:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We used Car-A-Tow in Poole and have been very satisfied.

I would NOT use one that relies on the vehicle towing eye as these IMO are not designed for long term towing.

I think Tow bars 2 Tow Cars will only supply complete with the toad

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
From one who does not A frame but reads all the posts I would suggest you consider a trailer - while the A frame is so called legal in the UK it appears to be a no no now across the water in Europe where there are reports of many being stopped and fined or told to remove the A frame and drive it. It appears that it will take a court case to decide legality in the UK which neither police or VOSA are prepared to do ----- at the moment. If I were investing - they will be most unlikely to make trailer towing illegal but if an A frame is made illegal then it will only be worth scrap value

My opinion for what its worth

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
HI,I tow a vauxhall agila behind my 990m on a armitage frame.I have not experieced any problems myself but armitage has had a lot of bad press on this and other sites recently.I find frame quite heavy but it does the job.If i had the room at home i would rather have a trailor thats my view.
Hope this helps if you want any more info pm me.
John m.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
They say they utilise the car's towing eybolt and fit another at the same height so that the car is towed correctly as prescribed by manufacturer.

MY advice is to avoid ANY that utilise the cars towing eye.. it was not designed for towing, especially at an oblique angle.. it is fitted for tying down while in transit.. which is a static load .. not dynamic as when towing .. it has been known for the towing eye bolt to sheer .. This is a cheap way of doing it ..

Towing eyes should only be used as an emergency towing point..

I had a CarAtow.. on a Fiat Cinquecento, this had an angle iron frame bolted onto the chassis behind the engine.. proper job..

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I have a fitted towtal A frame to my racing Panda. :roflmto:

It does the job and no bungee straps and alike,

Although it must be said that Tara sits in the boot and made the wiring short and Hilldweller said that was poor fitting of wiring as it wasn't incased as it should be.

One other thing is that I have to be honest and say the frame is quite heavy. Now it's not a problem for me at my age of course but I have said to Nikki and I don't want to offend any one but I wouldn't like to be lifting and carrying it in my later life. You don't have to carry it much of course but you could certainly do an injury lifting it in to the boot of the car.

I actually like the tow cars to tow bars method..But did think it was a tad overpriced.

Of course, expect the opinions of others about legality and putting on a trailer, and I did actually consider that option too. But opted to be a REBEL :thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
well if you do not know my views by now

Well if you do not know my views by now, you never will.

I reinforce Landylover (Bills) comments a couple posts up and same with Scotjim he is 100% right on the issue of the tow eye.

Me I take my car on a four wheel Brian James trailer.. made for the job and 100% legal in the UK and Europe.

You can lead a horse to water... but.....

Bob

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Buy a trailer a proper one then you can go to Spain or anywhere you want to and be legal,I have also noticed a good trailer will keep its value if you want to sell it at the moment and as Aframes seem to be on the way out could be a good investment

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Have a look at Chris Cox, fitted ours, found him the cheapest at the time, and he will collect & deliver:thumb:

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
a frame

Hi, I have had the car- a -tow now for two years and its very good I pull a little fiat seicento whenever the need arises and this a frame fits in the boot, the adverts for this system say you dont even know its there when towing and I agree overall very happy would recommend a jockey wheel to be fitted as frame rather heavy and can be driven with the wheel down for hooking up etc. :thumb:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I have both. A Brian James trailer which is excellent with built in ramps and also a Car a tow A frame which I prefer using in the UK , much more convenient , easily pops into Peugeot 107 boot and I will continue to use it until proven illegal in UK if that day ever comes :thumb:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
If you want a proper Aframe I've got an all singing and dancing Blue Ox for sale brought it back from the USa last trip.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi, I have had the car- a -tow now for two years and its very good I pull a little fiat seicento whenever the need arises and this a frame fits in the boot, the adverts for this system say you dont even know its there when towing and I agree overall very happy would[HI] recommend a jockey wheel to be fitted as frame rather heavy [/HI]and can be driven with the wheel down for hooking up etc. :thumb:

just my opinion.. but the jockey wheel makes it heavier and takes up more space in the boot.. I used a bungy cord hooked over the edge of the bonnet to hold it up .. in saying that.. it (the bungy) was seldom used..

A great bit of kit, well designed, I liked how easy it was to attach and remove from the car.. a one person job .. :thumb:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
just my opinion.. but the jockey wheel makes it heavier and takes up more space in the boot.. I used a bungy cord hooked over the edge of the bonnet to hold it up .. in saying that.. it (the bungy) was seldom used..

A great bit of kit, well designed, I liked how easy it was to attach and remove from the car.. a one person job .. :thumb:

I just use a suitable length piece of cord with a diy hook for the back edge of the bonnet & a loop in the other which drops over the lifting handle...simples:thumb:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Could almost buy a good seconhand trailer for the same money. Any advice please? :thumb:

Hi Ken, we had a car a tow, and found it very well made. ::bigsmile: But I would if you have room at home to store it buy a trailer, the way things are with A Frames and even just using it in the UK, until they say they are legal you could be wasting your money.
We have used our trailer well over 2 years now and prefer it.:thumb: Bob.

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
I have a towtal on our Berlingo super bit of kit both are for sale either as a pair or seperate, only because I take the Corvette with me most times and that has to be on a trailer.

All the best Rick

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
one other thing to consider is what are the chances you may have to reverse.
if you have an A frame you have little chance of doing so successfully due to the positions of the wheels. where as a trailer will reverse quite easily in comparison.

although i have seen quite a few people trying to reverse those small 3x3 trailers with a car and having little success. multiply the angles presented by the length of the motorhome and the rear over hang even a 20 foot trailer can give you a run around.

OP
OP
canopus

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
one other thing to consider is what are the chances you may have to reverse.
if you have an A frame you have little chance of doing so successfully due to the positions of the wheels. where as a trailer will reverse quite easily in comparison.

although i have seen quite a few people trying to reverse those small 3x3 trailers with a car and having little success. multiply the angles presented by the length of the motorhome and the rear over hang even a 20 foot trailer can give you a run around.

Lynda or myself would jump into the tow car to reverse it depending on who was driving the MH.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Another thread to bring out the A-frame knockers. :Doh:
Peugeot 107, A frame by Chris Cox, tow bar by Mike Parkinson. Tows like a dream, nothing to see when off the A-frame, and didn't cost the earth.

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
What about UNIBRAKE would have one at the drop of a hat if the price came down reasonably :Sad:

www.unibrake.co.uk

So how much is the unibrake ?

Do you think this gets round the problems that other people seems to think are inherant in A frames....and is a Spanish cop going to be educated enough to know the difference ?

barry

sabconsulting

Free Member
Jan 22, 2011
High Wycombe
Funster No
MH
Demountable truck camper
Exp
Since 2010
Do these A-frames need to include some mechanism for operating the car's brakes (like the overrun brakes on a trailer) - or is that not required on an A frame towing a car?

Steve.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
MY advice is to avoid ANY that utilise the cars towing eye.. it was not designed for towing, especially at an oblique angle.. it is fitted for tying down while in transit.. which is a static load .. not dynamic as when towing .. it has been known for the towing eye bolt to sheer .. This is a cheap way of doing it ..

Towing eyes should only be used as an emergency towing point..

I had a CarAtow.. on a Fiat Cinquecento, this had an angle iron frame bolted onto the chassis behind the engine.. proper job..

Thats a reason Jim...but how about an explanation ?

Why do you think that ?

barry

I gave a reason in an earlier post

brush

Free Member
Feb 7, 2012
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Brush

Have towed my Toyota Aygo with a Tow cars to Towbars frame for two years gives me no trouble been to France and Germany no trouble.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I do not think the Spanish will consider it any different

So how much is the unibrake ?

Do you think this gets round the problems that other people seems to think are inherant in A frames....and is a Spanish cop going to be educated enough to know the difference ?

barry

Barry, I doubt the Spanish will look at it any differently to an A frame... I saw recently that in Germany and Belgium a motor home was stopped for using an A frame.. hearing lots of stops in Spain.

Only be a matter of time and EEC law will ban them in the UK the quicker the better.:Sad::Sad::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Trailers are the only way to go.. safe 4 wheel braking.

Bob

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
There was a thread on here about two or so years ago about a toad that broke loose from the mother ship due to a towing eye bolt shearing ..
I've been trying to find it .. but no luck yet.. Does anyone remember or can find the post ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back