Where to stopover on way to Venice? (1 Viewer)

Apr 25, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Hi
I've looked at several articles on Motorhomefun on the route from Amsterdam to Venice and decided to go the Belgium/France/Lux/Switzerland route as opposed to the Germany/Austria route. Both routes seem popular and we may come back the 'opposite' way.
We arrive by ferry in Amsterdam from Newcastle on Sat 19th Aug around 9.30am. We were originally booked into a site in Venice from the Monday but after listening to some of your advice about the timescale, we have changed it to arrive on site on the following Friday.
I am looking for advice on where to stop and if it should be just an overnight or a couple of nights as we now have 6 nights to fill before arriving in Venice.
Popular stops seem to be Metz area then onto Lucerne area then onto Venice. Is Metz a realistic target in miles/time for the first night?
Any advice appreciated, thanks in advance
Paul

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I can't help specifically but this is how I often work out daily "legs".

My satnav is loaded with the POI files for CamperContact and ACSI and I enter possible overnight stops into the satnav and then let it work out how long it will take to get there. If too long I choose somewhere nearer.

Ideally, I don't like to drive more than three hours a day but we do four and five hour days as well. Occasionally a bit more.

Of course this only works if you are working out where to drive from where you are now but you could apply the same method for your trip to Venice. Just get off the ferry, aim for Metz but stop earlier if you want. There are lots of aires available, it is just a matter of choosing which one.

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
Maggiore and Gurda are great suggestions but you have to get there first from Amsterdam. I haven'tstarted there so cant speak from first hand knowledge but we drove from Calais to Luxembourg (250 miles took 5.5 hours). Stayed at Camping Kockelscheuer Tel. 00352/47 18 15 their email address is caravani@pt.lu. bookings can be made through their web site. Very good VFM and clean facilities.
Our next stopping point was Augsburg in Germany where we stayed at Camping Lech (sorry cant lay my hands on their details but Mr Google will get you there. this was 300 miles and very easy driving but the journey time is about 6 hours. from there I cant help sorry because I haven't looked at getting to Venice from there and Augsburg may not be a good second stop point for you but Venice is right on the east of northern Italy and my intuition wouldn't take me through France, particularly if you are staring in Amsterdam.

OP
OP
camel
Apr 25, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Brian (hilldweller)
We have 5 nights booked in Venice area then move on to Lake Garda for 7 nights
Paul

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Amsterdam to Metz looks like about four and a half hours according to Google maps. Add in a shopping stop and it doesn't look unreasonable for a first leg but personally I would prefer something a little less.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I tend to ignore the 'driving time ' on Google maps as its a bit too optimistic.

I look at how many miles and divide by 60 (mph) or 90 (kph)

We use toll roads and motorways, which allow us to cover more miles in less time.

We try not to drive more than 4 or 5 hours per day and get an early start when possible. It's nice to finish driving by lunchtime and have the afternoon off

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Brian (hilldweller)
We have 5 nights booked in Venice area then move on to Lake Garda for 7 nights
Paul

Ah well, nice try.

Metz has a great municipal campsite + aire on the banks of the river, right in town. Easy from Calais and worth a day or two if weather good.

Luzern is an awesome city. Camping International is not cheap but a prime location. Again worth a day or two ( which of course means 3 nights ).

Luzern to Venice is quite a long hop, try Cannero Riviera for a stopover, though it's worth a week, as we have done many times.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Camping Intnl wasn't even cheap when we went - in 1971! LOL But it is dead handy for that thing with all the water, etc.

OP
OP
camel
Apr 25, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Camping international looks a good choice, around £40 night for a couple. They want min 5 night bookings in Aug, how do you view our chances of availability for 2/3 nights?

Jun 22, 2012
Ebbw Vale Gwent
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9048df A class
Exp
seven
Hi Paul
Send me your email address and I will send you a copy of my spreadsheet with safe stops and coordinates all the way to Venice.
I have traveled this route several time and enjoyed every one.
Regards
Ray

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Hi Paul
Send me your email address and I will send you a copy of my spreadsheet with safe stops and coordinates all the way to Venice.
I have traveled this route several time and enjoyed every one.
Regards
Ray

We are planning this trip next year. Would you mind sending a copy as well please? :)

Jun 22, 2012
Ebbw Vale Gwent
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9048df A class
Exp
seven
No problem just send me your email address and I will send you a copy when I've tried to post it via the forum it gets distorted so this is the only reason for an email address
Regards
Ray

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
There's a completely free spacious wooded aire north of Metz a few miles off the A4 at the Amneville leisure complex (which is basically a load of independent leisure attractions grouped on a hillside). It's behind the tourist info office here. We use it as a first stop after Calais when we're heading south eastward. No shortage of eateries if you want to dine out.

Other possibilities include campsites at Interlaken - quite a few to choose from.

We'd probably go direct to Venice from Interlaken, but another possible stopover is the south eastern end of Lake Garda. Tons of campsites round there, but Camping Amici di Lazise gives you a lower cost aire type option at the front as well as shaded pitches inside. It's also very handy for the theme parks if that floats your boat. We'll probably head for there on our autumn trip.

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
There's a completely free spacious wooded aire north of Metz a few miles off the A4 at the Amneville leisure complex (which is basically a load of independent leisure attractions grouped on a hillside). It's behind the tourist info office here. We use it as a first stop after Calais when we're heading south eastward. No shortage of eateries if you want to dine out.

It's now 12 euros per night Inc water & EHU.

OP
OP
camel
Apr 25, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks Ray, spreadsheet would be great.
I've sent my email address via 'start conversation', is that ok?
Thanks again
Paul

MotorhomersRus

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2010
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line
Exp
No problem just send me your email address and I will send you a copy when I've tried to post it via the forum it gets distorted so this is the only reason for an email address
Regards
Ray

@Hydrocell
Hi Ray is it ok for us to have a copy as well .........we're going at end of the month cheers

OP
OP
camel
Apr 25, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Ray, thanks for the spreadsheet, very helpful, printed it off and will study in detail tomorrow
Paul

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
I recieved the info Ray, very interesting and extremely useful. An excellent starting point to our planning next year. Thank you very much

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Malibu i500 A Class
Exp
Since 2010
We have travelled Newcastle to Amsterdam on our way to Lake Maggiore and Garda over the past few years we stop at Obernia in France first night then on to Camping International Giswil in Switzerland then on to Maggiore/ Garda we try to hit the Gotthard tunnel early doors especially on a weekend to try and miss the traffic doesn,t always work out that way :cool::sun:

OP
OP
camel
Apr 25, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks everyone, all the information will be fully digested over the weekend and a decision made, it's only 8 weeks away! Got a few other queries so will check through the forum first and post questions if necessary, thanks again

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back