where to stop around Bournemouth????? or the south coast (1 Viewer)

do1977

Free Member
Oct 28, 2008
where i park up
Funster No
MH
A class rv
we are thinking of taking a drive to Bournemouth area for a weekend and was wondering if any body knows where a good place to stop for the night ( wild camping )

or any where along the south coast as i can change from Bournemouth to anywhere

is there a book available which lists the more basic camp sites ie the ones that don't want to charge you £30 a night as they have a shower block !
i had one before that was sent to me by the camping and caravanning club but i can't remember what happened to it or what it was called
thankyou in advance for any ideas given !

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
is there a book available which lists the more basic camp sites ie the ones that don't want to charge you £30 a night as they have a shower block !
!

Best bet is to join the Caravan Club, they have thousands of CLs (certified locations) basic five van sites, most with EHU and at around 8 - 10 quid per night.. good value for money..

You can join on line and and get instant access to the CL site listings.

Link Removed

hth

Jim

Last edited:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Try on the Baiter Car Parks, Poole, seen plenty of MH's parked up there, 100 yards from the sea or Thistle Hotel Car Park, see the attendant and its £8 for 24 hours, you might get away with £8 for 2 days with a bit of luck if Stewarts on duty, tell him Peter from Lady K sent you!!!!:thumb:

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
baiter park car park

just to let you no theres no over night parking on this car park l use regular and must be off by 11.30pm cost is 6.0pounds all day nice and handy to visit poole bob!!:

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Terry Dunne - at the Kensington Hotel, 18 Durley Chine Hotel Bournemouth BH2 5LE - telephone 01202 557434 - has room to accept several RVs and is happy to take 'overnighter' during the week BUT the hotel is busy at weekends. - Handy for the Poole ferry, it is just 4 miles away from the ferry port!

Might be worth giving him a call to see if he can fit you in.

Baggins

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Try on the Baiter Car Parks, Poole, seen plenty of MH's parked up there, 100 yards from the sea or Thistle Hotel Car Park, see the attendant and its £8 for 24 hours, you might get away with £8 for 2 days with a bit of luck if Stewarts on duty, tell him Peter from Lady K sent you!!!!:thumb:

Peter

Supprised to read that Peter. I used to use the Baiter (2) car park in Poole Harbour back behind the green but last year woke to find a (polite) message attached to the screen in a parking ticket envelope asking me to desist. I noticed also that there were local bye-laws advertised that motorhomes could not park on the public roads surrounding the green (many similar signs in Bournemouth) - I think the latter is a bit much , we all pay road tax.

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
help... Bournmouth?

Not sure if I will be able to ready your replies tomorrow due to subscription issue :cry: But just in case... we need a spot for this Fri night in Bornmouth, as close to the beach front as poss, any ideas? Thanks::bigsmile:

bigfish

Free Member
May 20, 2009
Eastleigh, Hants
Funster No
Exp
8 years, but had caravans & Tents before that
Hi
we use "west overcliff drive" Bournmoth, find it on google earth,
usually quiet in the evening, if its sunny you may struggle to
park before the evening, and preparre to move if you cant get close
to the front, sometimes have a walk and a brew to let it clear out.

Dont go down to the car park as it is tight to turn when busy.

There is a harvester a short walk away,towards town and 15 mins
sees you at the pier.

good luck

Maurice & Val

Free Member
Jul 4, 2010
Hornsea, East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
25+ years
Supprised to read that Peter. I used to use the Baiter (2) car park in Poole Harbour back behind the green but last year woke to find a (polite) message attached to the screen in a parking ticket envelope asking me to desist. I noticed also that there were local bye-laws advertised that motorhomes could not park on the public roads surrounding the green (many similar signs in Bournemouth) - I think the latter is a bit much , we all pay road tax.

Used to park in that area regularly when we were down visiting relatives before it turned into a "no motorhomes" area. Now we won't go anywhere near Poole unless absolutely necessary. Yet another coastal area that doesn't like our vans. (or the money we bring into the area as well)

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Thistle Hotel Car Park on Poole Quay, pay the attendant in the morning, dont pay the hotel.

Normally plenty of room and lots to do on the Quay with pubs and restaurants galore and the Marina to see all the boats!

Bikers Night Tuesday, Fireworks Thursday, Car Nights Fridays.

Peter

Star_gypsy

Free Member
Jun 15, 2011
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1987
we are thinking of taking a drive to Bournemouth area for a weekend and was wondering if any body knows where a good place to stop for the night ( wild camping )

or any where along the south coast as i can change from Bournemouth to anywhere

i had one before that was sent to me by the camping and caravanning club but i can't remember what happened to it or what it was called
thankyou in advance for any ideas given !

Hi,

I work in the summer in Bournemouth and have used my motor caravan for parking.

Unfortunately the local council seem very short sighted and have signs everywhere forbidding overnight parking, so if you decide to stay in Bournemouth you have to be a little fly & move on fairly early in the morning.

A good place for overnight is Whalfdale service road, which is adjacent to the A35. (Not Whalfdale road,which is residential!) it's an industrial area so there are no houses and, besides some main road traffic it's relatively quiet at night.

If I were you I'd park there overnight and then drive to overcliff or undercliff drive during the day for a lovely view but sadly you'll find no overnight parking signs at these 2 locations.

Over-all the Bournemouth, Christchurch & Poole area is difficult but not impossible.

If you don't want to wild camp you might try Mount pleasant touring, which is a large camp site off the A338. I don't know how expensive it is as I've only passed it but their season pitches were a fairly reasonable £80PW.

Here's their e-mail address: enq@mount-pleasant-cc.co.uk

Good luck!:thumb:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Subscription issues? :Eeek:

Pay the man a measly tenner... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Already got your money's worth with free camping info for Bournemouth

JJ :Cool:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I am a pensioner too you know.
JJ :winky:

I thought old show-biz celebs never retired, they just keep going on The One Show and Loose Women.

God knows, you're infinitely better than some of them, when are you on ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back