Free Member
Apr 2, 2008
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2006
We are thinging of staying in York on Monday and wondered where was the best place to stay.

the other day someone told me that if you go into York on the A64 from Hull you eventually hit the wall which surrounds york, this is at a set of lights, if you turn right there is an area for motorhomes and light commercials to park, and he said you can park for 24 hrs, it is pay n display, He couldn't remember the road name or cost

does anyone know of this or anywhere else where we can park close to the centre of York

Grahaam

A

Addie

Deleted User
Living in York, you have a number of options:

Just recently St Georges field has become a coach car park and had it's barriers removed. It's a 24 hour car park and I've often seen campers in here on a night. I'm not sure if you would have to pay a car or coach rate though, I'd imagine if you could back into a space around the edge in your 432 so your rear was overhanging the grass and was in a car size space then you'd be fine. It's better then the Kent Street Car Park which sounds like the one you was recommended.

Link Removed

There is on street parking available for motorhomes opposite the Kwikfit on Foss Islands Road, but this is a busy road so might be a restless night.

Also, on your approach into York on the A1079 there is a Pub called the Black Bull. It has a LARGE car park at the rear and I'm sure they would let you stay overnight if you was to have your tea there. There is a bus from outside into town too.

Places you could park at overnight and get away with is the David Lloyd Gym car park (next door to the Black Bull) which is sheltered from the road. Have seen a camper here one night.

Your other option is the York Lorry Park:
Link Removed

Or there is a big Layby just of the A64 about half a mile down the A1079 towards Hull with a Cafe in it. Often seen campers parked here.

Most of York is subjected to residents parking permits, otherwise I could suggest many different places to park throughout the city!

Hope any of this has been of use. I'd offer you my drive way, but I don't have one!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
The last time we went to York we used South Lea Caravan Park at Pocklington £13.50 per night, and then used the park and ride.

Andy

strathspey

Free Member
May 19, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 years
We are thinging of staying in York on Monday and wondered where was the best place to stay.

does anyone know of this or anywhere else where we can park close to the centre of York

The easiest way is to park in the dedicated (and barrier protected) motorhome space at Monks Cross park & Ride. It is then a 10 minute run into the city centre on the Park & Ride bus. It is also within walking distance of Monks Cross shopping centre.

duetto owner

Free Member
May 7, 2009
north surrey
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
in first year
York highways dept told us we could park in foss island as tickets are issued if the MH is larger that the parking bay.

going there in Sept

duetto owner

Free Member
May 7, 2009
north surrey
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
in first year
foss island should be ok, parking elsewhere in york will get a ticket due to bays being too small for a MH.

only going on what i was told over the phone.

maybe i did not word it well

OP
OP
Blisters

Blisters

Free Member
Apr 2, 2008
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2006
Hi Guys

Thanks for the info, forgot to mention that park and ride's are no good for us as we have a doberman with us

also as is typical of us we have changed our plans and are currently on Primrose Valley (Haven) nr scarborough until Tuesday morning and will then go to York for the day instead

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Guys

Thanks for the info, forgot to mention that park and ride's are no good for us as we have a doberman with us

also as is typical of us we have changed our plans and are currently on Primrose Valley (Haven) nr scarborough until Tuesday morning and will then go to York for the day instead

so you like to make a plan and then ignore it......:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
long time 'til tuesday....still time to move again:thumb:::bigsmile:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Last time we stayed in York was at CClub site Rowntree Way we had a 26ft RV then. The length limit is 28ft due to access.
This site is 10min walk to centre.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
York

Hi

I regularly take my 31ft pusher on to Rowntree Park. I even spent last Xmas in the Riverside section, using up my expiring night site vouchers!!. Only two of us on there BUT the C-Club said it was FULL!!! (No Vacancies??).

That`s one thing that p`s me off with the "club", They Should start taking Booking fees and not returning them to "No Shows"!!

Rant over

Pete

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Pete
If you get a 31footer on to rowntree I must have a chance with a 32footer I will try them next time thanks
Larry

blueraven

Free Member
May 7, 2008
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since Apr 08
I agree

Hi

I regularly take my 31ft pusher on to Rowntree Park. I even spent last Xmas in the Riverside section, using up my expiring night site vouchers!!. Only two of us on there BUT the C-Club said it was FULL!!! (No Vacancies??).

That`s one thing that p`s me off with the "club", They Should start taking Booking fees and not returning them to "No Shows"!!

Rant over

Pete

I agree with you about the CC very happy with standard of sites if I remember that in February I want to go away for the weekend at the end of June!

I don;t think they should charge deposits, maybe £10 returnable when you turn up. Save people blocking out all the weekends.

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
We're going to York in December for a long weekend and tried to book the CC Rowntree Park site, but it's showing as fully booked!!
Are there any other sites or CL's within walking distance from the city centre and the Christmas markets etc?

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Last edited:
Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
York

We're going to York in December for a long weekend and tried to book the CC Rowntree Park site, but it's showing as fully booked!!
Are there any other sites or CL's within walking distance from the city centre and the Christmas markets etc?

We usually stay at Beechwood Grange Caravan Club site. It is only 5 mins from the park and ride in your van and you are next to Monks Cross shopping cente. There is a good leisure cente at Monks Cross and there is a good pub within walking distance of the camp site.We have stayed at Rowntree as well but that would be my second choice as it is usually very crowded

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back