Where to stay in the New Forest (1 Viewer)

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
We used to use Holmsley when the girls were younger - in our folding camper days, as it has a children's play area, on site shop and a takeaway. With full site facilities it was good, but for some reason, when the C&CC took over Forest Holidays, it seemed to go down hill and although we have walked around the site, we have not stayed. I think it was because the top field never seemed to be open and too many people packed into the first field and they also had fixed tents, which took up a lot of non EHU space. My only gripe with Camping in the Forest sites is the circa £5:00 per night for EHU. C&CC discount compensates slightly though as does mid week discount.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Some great suggestions on this thread
Are some of these sites open all year round? sounds like it's a busy place to visit over the summer months.
Are there any rallies/ meets that happen in the New Forest? Sounds like an ideal spot
Setthorns is the only site open all year. Not all sites have rally fields, but Oknell - @Popeye was trying for certainly does as does Roundhill, but unsure of the others. Most of the sites that do not have any facilities or just toilets and no EHU tend to be less crowded so motorhomes should be fine and often fewer children as well.(y)

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks @Zigisla
So which one would you recommend for exercising the dogs and a bit of peace and quiet?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Thanks @Zigisla
So which one would you recommend for exercising the dogs and a bit of peace and quiet?
Ocknell is coming out on top at the moment. Although I have walked through and around all of the sites, I keep going back to the same few to stay. If the weather isn't too good, then Ocknell because of the hardstandings and taxiways, but the walking can be muddy. Setthorns is a muddy site at the best of times because most of the site is under trees, but the walking along the dis-used railway is good, but you will meet a lot of die hard dog walkers from the nearby car parks. Roundhill is all grass, so not great in the early season - infact the opening was delayed this year because of the boggy ground, but walking is on concrete for Stockley airfield and all gravel paths in the forest towards Lyndhurst. In the Summer time / Good weather any of them.(y)

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Whilst walking on Ocknell Pond last week, despite the great weather and the fact that the enclosure is on one the Souths finest Cycleways, I saw only three other people and two of them were together on Horse back. As well as the numerous ponies and cattle, I found this little fella lazin in the Sun. Good job I didn't have the inquisitive Choccy Lab with me.:rolleyes:

Ocknell Pond Visitor.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: Ven

Fifiwi

Free Member
Nov 10, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Hi
This is a really interesting thread. We had our first ever overnight stay recently, at Holmsley. Sunday and Monday nights, with C and CC discount. Reception was very welcoming, and we were told to just pick a pitch, so we drove round a bit, before deciding on a hardstanding with EHU. The shower /toilet block was nearby and immaculate. I discovered they even had a hairdryer- my 20p treat! The shop had freshly baked croissants/ pains au choc which made a lovely breakfast. The site was perfect for us- a real getaway, with just the occasional flypast courtesy of Bournemouth airport- nothing too intrusive. Our table, BBQ and chairs all had their first use. Both bottles of red were polished off, helps the payload, yes?
On the Monday we cycled to Bransgore- through villages on the way, 9 miles. The Crown was great for lunch and cider/beer. The cycle back to Holmsley was only 3 miles, through Thorney Hill....at times a bit too steep for me, but no harm in walking a bit. :oops:.
We both slept like logs...peace and quiet.
All in all, a very successful trip for us. We are now looking at another NF trip this weekend, and can't wait!
Some NF sites have no EHU, but we reckon we can manage that. Personally, I'd rather have showers/ loos than EHU. Yes, I know we have a loo and shower onboard. ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back