Where to spend July & August....? (1 Viewer)

Dafydd

Free Member
Oct 12, 2011
St Davids, West Wales
Funster No
MH
Frankia on order
Exp
I've read lots of ideas for where to spend winter months but I've yet to come across ideas for July & August.
How to avoid crowds, full aires, extra costs, road congestion, too much heat... where do the summer holiday crowds not go...? Where is so utterly untouristy that one might find some peace and realxation "far from the madding crowd"? Or parked up at someone's house as a "house sitter" (or guest of friends/family)?

I'm looking for ideas.... any suggestions and experiences appreciated (including areas to avoid at all costs, just so I'll know).
Where (and maybe how) have some of you full-timers enjoyed spending time in July & August?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We keep away from France at that time and stay in UK. The best places we find are often C&CC Temporary Holiday Sites which can be in excellent spots with great company.
MCC as well. We've used both over the last two years and thoroughly enjoyed them. Usually no need to book either, which makes it ideal for touring.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
MCC as well. We've used both over the last two years and thoroughly enjoyed them. Usually no need to book either, which makes it ideal for touring.
We dropped out of MCC last year as we seldom seemed to use them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We dropped out of MCC last year as we seldom seemed to use them.
We only joined in July 2013 and never got round to being able to attend a meet until May this year but ended up using MCC almost exclusively since - not particularly by design but just the right place at the right time. It could easily be the other way about next year but we like having the choice :D

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We're (well I am) thinking of Norway, often fancied the North Cape, just so I can say I've been there. It's a lot of driving though.... and NOT cheap!

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
West Wales - never too busy after the first 2 weeks of the school summer holidays (end July/beginning of August) & still possible to have a lot of beach or forest to yourself:) Never too hot either even in August....
Avoid tourist hot spots of Devon, Dorset & most of Cornwall for at least the first 4 weeks of the school holidays. Somerset doesn't have the same attractions but not busy in the summer as everyone has gone to the above!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dafydd

Dafydd

Free Member
Oct 12, 2011
St Davids, West Wales
Funster No
MH
Frankia on order
Exp
I'm definitely looking forwards to touring Norway. I'm going to put some dosh aside in an "expensive trips fund" and when I've got enough I'll be able to traipse about and enjoy campsites, the odd pub and lunches out without worrying too much about the very high prices... the hinterlands of Norway & Sweden could be good summer options to avoid the crowds.

Rural France too as david farmilo said above about Alsace...

OP
OP
Dafydd

Dafydd

Free Member
Oct 12, 2011
St Davids, West Wales
Funster No
MH
Frankia on order
Exp
West Wales ...
Pembrokeshire (nr St David's) is where I'm moving to next year!
When I last lived there the school summer holiday road (and pub!!) congestion was an issue, around St Davids especially. But that was in the era before the internet and Ryanair so maybe they get fewer tourists now. They still have a lot of tourist traffic on the roads in the summer, I know from friends & family who live there.

A friend of mine has a small secluded campsite there where I'm looking forwards to spending extended periods (in exchange for a bit of mowing I expect!), when I need to get my head down to work or simply to save money.
I've really enjoyed my years in Cork (and around the SW in general) but I'm definitely looking forwards to returning to Sir Benfro!

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Having spent a working lifetime with no choice but to holiday in July/August, I can't see what all the fuss is about regarding French aires. Just do your research before setting off, stick with medium to large-sized aires, and aim to arrive mid-morning.

The Charente-Maritime coast in France is our personal favourite - below Brittany and the Vendee (which have both been well and truly discovered by Brits), but above the long wild stretch of coast south of the Gironde which is dotted with busy resorts.

I would agree with Pembrokeshire as a pleasant largely crowd-free alternative to the West Country, and with a similar coastline. We tend to head for Newgale which is more central than St Davids. Whitesands Bay near St Davids is the closest you'll get to being in Cornwall - everywhere else is quieter.

If you've got to go to Cornwall in summer, try N Cornwall around Bude.

sleep e carr

Free Member
Nov 30, 2008
Whitby North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express 6 birth
Exp
Since 1970 first van converted police van
I've read lots of ideas for where to spend winter months but I've yet to come across ideas for July & August.
How to avoid crowds, full aires, extra costs, road congestion, too much heat... where do the summer holiday crowds not go...? Where is so utterly untouristy that one might find some peace and realxation "far from the madding crowd"? Or parked up at someone's house as a "house sitter" (or guest of friends/family)?

I'm looking for ideas.... any suggestions and experiences appreciated (including areas to avoid at all costs, just so I'll know).
Where (and maybe how) have some of you full-timers enjoyed spending time in July & August?

sleep e carr

Free Member
Nov 30, 2008
Whitby North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express 6 birth
Exp
Since 1970 first van converted police van
With the ferry booked and paid for we are off back to Slovenia kamping menina, July and august, lots to do or just relax, great bar and other facilities mountain biking, swimming fishing walking white water rafting thats the place to be, off of the ferry Belgium germany, austria slovenia

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Remember that the Scottish schools go back mid-August so Scotland could be worth thinking about. The midge isn't so bad in the Outer Hebrides.

OP
OP
Dafydd

Dafydd

Free Member
Oct 12, 2011
St Davids, West Wales
Funster No
MH
Frankia on order
Exp
Have you put a Santa hat on your duck??! Haha... I have always like ducks for reasons that I've never fathomed.
Thanks for the tip on the early end to Scottish school holiday. I've already looked into the outer Hebrides and It's pretty high on my list, probably in my first year as a newbie (I'm getting a van next year). I like islands (and ducks!). Thanks.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Yes it is a santa-hat.

Glad you like ducks - I am a Jemima type (Puddleduck) - when I was very little I had an affinity with water, I was usually sitting in it and splashing) so my Mum used to call me Jemima after the Beatrix Potter character.

I'm sure Mr @DuxDeluxe will be along soon to share the enthusiasm for ducks and duck lore..... However there are people on this forum @Tootles who are not so nice about Duck Folk....

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We're (well I am) thinking of Norway, often fancied the North Cape, just so I can say I've been there. It's a lot of driving though.... and NOT cheap!
That's what we were looking into, It is expensive , but it looks like it may be the Scottish isles again for us .
Have you seen the price of the beer in Norway . Plus you can only take 6 ltrs in with you or something like that !

OP
OP
Dafydd

Dafydd

Free Member
Oct 12, 2011
St Davids, West Wales
Funster No
MH
Frankia on order
Exp
Haha! It's what made me join in the first place! I still managed to get some sensible suggestions too!

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Haha! It's what made me join in the first place! I still managed to get some sensible suggestions too!

I second the Norway advice Dafydd but would add Sweden, Central and North, we've been twice in July/August and it was empty as Sweden seems to close down and they all head South. It was great, roads even more empty than normal and bags of wilding spots in real wild areas. Be prepared though, it doesn't matter how far off the beaten track you are you will invariably awake to find a German womo parked the other side of the spot and they'll already have their towels out drying.:xgrin:

OP
OP
Dafydd

Dafydd

Free Member
Oct 12, 2011
St Davids, West Wales
Funster No
MH
Frankia on order
Exp
I second the Norway advice Dafydd but would add Sweden, Central and North, we've been twice in July/August and it was empty as Sweden seems to close down and they all head South. It was great, roads even more empty than normal and bags of wilding spots in real wild areas. Be prepared though, it doesn't matter how far off the beaten track you are you will invariably awake to find a German womo parked the other side of the spot and they'll already have their towels out drying.:xgrin:
North Sweden: this coincides with what research I've done so far, including saving money by ease of offsite camping. I could spend several months budget for a month in Norway and then peak season in Sweden eating lentil soup with moss while my bank balance recovers! Hassle-free countryside with a night on a campsite every ten days or so would do me (I work for long periods, a week at a time, on a laptop in case anyone is wondering what I'd do with my time parked up in a field for 10 days!). And I like herrings. And meatballs! I've had me eye on Gotland, though maybe not for peak season.
I'm buying a german van so I'll fit right in when the womo of an early-to-bed german family parks up near by! Then again I know some germans who motorhome with their own beer-kegs & tap (and local flag). I met them camping some years ago and they had so much beer, kegs and crates, that they were happy to sell me a crate!
And yes, I own my own breathalyser for morning after driving tests - http://www.safetravel.co.uk/europedrinkdrivinglimits.html something I'd recommend for any full-timer (or any driver) who enjoys a late-night session.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
North Sweden: this coincides with what research I've done so far, including saving money by ease of offsite camping. I could spend several months budget for a month in Norway and then peak season in Sweden eating lentil soup with moss while my bank balance recovers! Hassle-free countryside with a night on a campsite every ten days or so would do me (I work for long periods, a week at a time, on a laptop in case anyone is wondering what I'd do with my time parked up in a field for 10 days!). And I like herrings. And meatballs! I've had me eye on Gotland, though maybe not for peak season.
I'm buying a german van so I'll fit right in when the womo of an early-to-bed german family parks up near by! Then again I know some germans who motorhome with their own beer-kegs & tap (and local flag). I met them camping some years ago and they had so much beer, kegs and crates, that they were happy to sell me a crate!
And yes, I own my own breathalyser for morning after driving tests - http://www.safetravel.co.uk/europedrinkdrivinglimits.html something I'd recommend for any full-timer (or any driver) who enjoys a late-night session.

Have to say when wilding in Scandinavia I don't drink at all in case (unlikely but possible) of having to shift fast during the night for whatever reason. For cheap(er) I'm told Finland is the place, first it's euros and second the cost of living is less than in Norway or Sweden (apparently). I've never been to Finland but I have met Norwegians and Swedes who were happy to do a 200km round trip for their monthly shops. The border area between Finland and Norway has a noticeably higher 'customs' presence than between Norway and Sweden. Liking fish AND meatballs you'll be in culinary heaven anywhere in Sweden and there's some very tasty and wholesome moss to be found to go with that Lentil soup, the elk and reindeer favour it any way. One thing I've never been able to crack is their bread............they do do 'normal' bread (expensive the last time we were there) but usually its very crisp and goes in a million directions when you sink your gnashers into it. Good luck with your planning and I (we) would love to hear of your experiences when there Dafydd.(y)

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
If you fancy France, you could always come to us at Parc Verger. Quiet site in a beautiful location, good company (we sometimes even have the Chief Munchie on site), Funster discount, plenty to do and see in the area. Temperatures are comfortable, so you can sit out and enjoy a glass of red or whatever. Wherever you go have a good time!
Bob
www.parcverger.com

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
It's the med coastal areas that are busy in summer, but still manageable if you book well in advance. Even though I'm retired my wife younger works in education, we always have to go away college holiday times. To be honest have been holidaying in Europe for 30 years and only place we have ever visited that was unbearable with unimaginable crowds was Argles sur mer....thankfully we were only there 2 nights on way back from Spain.

I have to laugh when I see all the negative posting re summer holidays, yes the sites are busy, yes there are kids around. And if you dislike the sound of happy children I think there is little hope for you.......

Last year for instance: Mosel first then Alsace, which is surprising peaceful, (we tend to stop here most years on way to Italy) Lake Constance (again busy but manageable). then lake Garda where we end up most years. This summer touring down to Tuscany, then finishing up at Garda to meet up with family and friends. Other years we have done Croatia either before or after Garda....while it's worth visiting it can't match italy!

Most who post negativity re summer touring dont really know what they are on about. Those of us who have no choice do, yes it's busy more expensive and hot but that's fine by us....

The travelling aspect needs planning. Avoiding weekends getting through Switzerland a must! Driving at night helps, as does missing rush hours, it's all down to timing. Germany a pain in the ass as motorways with their roadworks common and traffic as busy as the UK if not worse, so leave plenty of time getting through germany.

A few years ago Mrs Mental had a minor procedure tha meant she was convelesing for a week in September, so we had a week on East Coast on a couple of CC sites. We found it a bit grim to be honest as all were retired folk, all very pleasent and friendly but the lack of atmosphere or children's laufghter to us seemed odd...like being in gods waiting room?One site had a smart new bar, we along with one other table were the only people in their two nights running......sorry not for us yet I guess, would rather be in Spain or at home!lol

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back