Where to spend July & August....?

Discussion in 'Full Timers' started by Dafydd, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Dafydd

Dafydd Funster

I've read lots of ideas for where to spend winter months but I've yet to come across ideas for July & August.
    How to avoid crowds, full aires, extra costs, road congestion, too much heat... where do the summer holiday crowds not go...? Where is so utterly untouristy that one might find some peace and realxation "far from the madding crowd"? Or parked up at someone's house as a "house sitter" (or guest of friends/family)?

I'm looking for ideas.... any suggestions and experiences appreciated (including areas to avoid at all costs, just so I'll know).
    Where (and maybe how) have some of you full-timers enjoyed spending time in July & August?

2. icantremember

icantremember Funster

We keep away from France at that time and stay in UK. The best places we find are often C&CC Temporary Holiday Sites which can be in excellent spots with great company.

• Like Like x 4
  3. The Wino

The Wino Funster

Went to Alsace in August not too busy as everyone heads for the coast especially the brits.

• Like Like x 2
  4. big bertha

big bertha Funster

Adult only sites:xgrin::xThumb:

• Like Like x 3
  5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

MCC as well. We've used both over the last two years and thoroughly enjoyed them. Usually no need to book either, which makes it ideal for touring.

• Like Like x 1
  6. icantremember

icantremember Funster

We dropped out of MCC last year as we seldom seemed to use them.

7. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

We only joined in July 2013 and never got round to being able to attend a meet until May this year but ended up using MCC almost exclusively since - not particularly by design but just the right place at the right time. It could easily be the other way about next year but we like having the choice :D

• Like Like x 1
  8. TerryL

TerryL Funster

We're (well I am) thinking of Norway, often fancied the North Cape, just so I can say I've been there. It's a lot of driving though.... and NOT cheap!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Wombles

Wombles Funster

West Wales - never too busy after the first 2 weeks of the school summer holidays (end July/beginning of August) & still possible to have a lot of beach or forest to yourself:) Never too hot either even in August....
    Avoid tourist hot spots of Devon, Dorset & most of Cornwall for at least the first 4 weeks of the school holidays. Somerset doesn't have the same attractions but not busy in the summer as everyone has gone to the above!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Dafydd

Dafydd Funster

I'm definitely looking forwards to touring Norway. I'm going to put some dosh aside in an "expensive trips fund" and when I've got enough I'll be able to traipse about and enjoy campsites, the odd pub and lunches out without worrying too much about the very high prices... the hinterlands of Norway & Sweden could be good summer options to avoid the crowds.

Rural France too as david farmilo said above about Alsace...

11. Dafydd

Dafydd Funster

Pembrokeshire (nr St David's) is where I'm moving to next year!
    When I last lived there the school summer holiday road (and pub!!) congestion was an issue, around St Davids especially. But that was in the era before the internet and Ryanair so maybe they get fewer tourists now. They still have a lot of tourist traffic on the roads in the summer, I know from friends & family who live there.

A friend of mine has a small secluded campsite there where I'm looking forwards to spending extended periods (in exchange for a bit of mowing I expect!), when I need to get my head down to work or simply to save money.
    I've really enjoyed my years in Cork (and around the SW in general) but I'm definitely looking forwards to returning to Sir Benfro!

• Like Like x 2
  12. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Having spent a working lifetime with no choice but to holiday in July/August, I can't see what all the fuss is about regarding French aires. Just do your research before setting off, stick with medium to large-sized aires, and aim to arrive mid-morning.

The Charente-Maritime coast in France is our personal favourite - below Brittany and the Vendee (which have both been well and truly discovered by Brits), but above the long wild stretch of coast south of the Gironde which is dotted with busy resorts.

I would agree with Pembrokeshire as a pleasant largely crowd-free alternative to the West Country, and with a similar coastline. We tend to head for Newgale which is more central than St Davids. Whitesands Bay near St Davids is the closest you'll get to being in Cornwall - everywhere else is quieter.

If you've got to go to Cornwall in summer, try N Cornwall around Bude.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

Bloody kids where ever you go !
    Come back King Herod, all is forgiven !:boxing::boxing::boxing:

• Like Like x 4
  14. sleep e carr

sleep e carr

15. sleep e carr

sleep e carr

With the ferry booked and paid for we are off back to Slovenia kamping menina, July and august, lots to do or just relax, great bar and other facilities mountain biking, swimming fishing walking white water rafting thats the place to be, off of the ferry Belgium germany, austria slovenia

• Like Like x 1
  16. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Remember that the Scottish schools go back mid-August so Scotland could be worth thinking about. The midge isn't so bad in the Outer Hebrides.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Dafydd

Dafydd Funster

Have you put a Santa hat on your duck??! Haha... I have always like ducks for reasons that I've never fathomed.
    Thanks for the tip on the early end to Scottish school holiday. I've already looked into the outer Hebrides and It's pretty high on my list, probably in my first year as a newbie (I'm getting a van next year). I like islands (and ducks!). Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Yes it is a santa-hat.

Glad you like ducks - I am a Jemima type (Puddleduck) - when I was very little I had an affinity with water, I was usually sitting in it and splashing) so my Mum used to call me Jemima after the Beatrix Potter character.

I'm sure Mr @DuxDeluxe will be along soon to share the enthusiasm for ducks and duck lore..... However there are people on this forum @Tootles who are not so nice about Duck Folk....

• Like Like x 5
  19. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Someone mention Ducks?

When does the Tootle hunting season start?:xwink:

• Like Like x 2
  20. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

That's what we were looking into, It is expensive , but it looks like it may be the Scottish isles again for us .
    Have you seen the price of the beer in Norway . Plus you can only take 6 ltrs in with you or something like that !