Where to move to in Norfolk?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Stagman, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Stagman

Stagman Funster

Hi Folks
    The missus and I have decided to move to Norfolk next year and are keen on the outlying villages in the Cromer /Sheringham area or maybe Aylsham or North Walsham.

Can any motorhome funsters living in those area advise for and against those areas?

We want to be within reach of Norwich by train and an easy short drive to the coast. We are also ideally looking for a village with a shop and pub and bus service to a town served by a rail station. Any thoughts?

Thanks
    John & Catherine

2. olley

olley Funster

Thoughts? Yes move to Suffolk. :D

• Like Like x 6
  3. Stagman

Stagman Funster

We did look Olley but Norfolk has it for us ::bigsmile:

4. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

I'd forget about the train idea. It severely limits your choices!

• Like Like x 2
  5. musson

musson Funster

Wood norton is a nice village have a look at the villages around barney/melton constable about 6 miles from fakenham.

• Like Like x 1
  6. olley

olley Funster

Do they have trains in Norfolk? :D

Ian

• Like Like x 2
  7. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

My in laws live in East Dereham which seems ok*

* ok meaning Norfolk Ok and not UK ok.:D

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. icantremember

icantremember Funster

At least there's a train station in E.Dereham .... just a shame it goes nowhere!

• Like Like x 2
  9. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Bit like the mobile phone signal! Lol Occasionally.

• Like Like x 2
  10. JACQ

JACQ Funster

If the train to Norwich is non negotiable, you'll have to remove Aylsham from your list, which is a great shame, it's a great place to live all year round. My sister owns the Old Tearooms there and they are busy busy busy throughout the year. They have a market, the auctions as well as bank, library and a good range of shops. It still seems as if you stepped back in time when you visit though! Regular bus service into the city, but no train. Have you considered that although Sheringham and Cromer are great in the summer, they can be very bleak through the long winter months? I can't advise re North Walsham, only visited through work and had a bad experience which colours my view unfairly.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Feltwell

Feltwell Funster

North Walsham is a nice enough place, and I think you'll get more for your money than if you move very close to the coast. Trains into Norwich only take about half an hour and are fairly regular as well. North Norfolk as a whole is a lovely place, one of my favourites.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Stagman

Stagman Funster

Somebody else said North Walsham not great. We will visit sheringham in the bleak midwinter this year to see if its tainted for us. We liked Aylsham very much and its useful to know there is at least a bus service to Norwich from there. We do prefer trains. Quicker and more comfortable and they will allow the dog on without relying on a bus drivers discretion. They also dont get caught in traffic jams around Norwich.
    We know we will have to compromise but just putting feelers out to see if what we want is possible.

13. olley

olley Funster

Many, many years ago I used to maintain BR's ontrack machinery, and spent some time in the sidings at Reedham, (Norwich to Lowestoft line) I can remember laying on the roof of the tamper basking in the sun. :D Nice area, but like most of Norfolk, a bit of a pain to get to.

Ian

• Like Like x 1
  14. Rapido925M

Rapido925M Funster

I live close to Dereham (the East was dropped a few years ago, although there is still a West Dereham about 30miles away: Norfolk is a "spread out" county and it takes a long time to get from one place to another :rolleyes:)

IF trains are of special importance, look at the times and prices: Norwich to London takes longer and is much more expensive than King's Lynn to London. IF you want to go west from Norfolk, KL is much better (both by road and rail).

We moved here approx 30y ago and have not regretted it. People will tell you that it is not as good a place as it used to be (did that coincide with our move?) but it still retains much of its "market town" appeal (Tue & Fri for markets). Sadly(?) a McDonalds opened last Thursday, but some would call it progress :whistle:. Greentrees Adventure Store will handle most of your MH needs and there are a few mobile mechanics around. LPG is well served by North Tuddenham Garage, who also do all classes of MOT.

Not knowing exactly what you are looking for, there are several villages with all facilities (although our PO closed just after Xmas) and our doctors (North Elmham) is one of the best we have known: ring up at 8.40am, get seen at 10.30am most days (afternoon appointments are also quick). NNUH is 20 miles away, on this side of Norwich: there is a direct bus (stopping along the way) or the "Fast8" takes you to the centre of Norwich (then to the station) almost every 30 minutes. The X1 takes you to Norwich/Gt Yarmouth/Lowestoft or King's Lynn/Wisbech/Peterboro [think of the saving if you've got a bus pass and are wanting to travel on the main lines to the rest of the country (y)]

If you have any specific requests for info, send me a pm - Gordon

PS Many years ago a lecturer at UEA made a large plywood map of Norfolk and found its centre of gravity: it was in Tesco's carpark in Dereham!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Quite agree. You get a better class of yokel in Suffolk.

Also @Dawn B doesn't live in Suffolk either. ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

any LIDL's:D

• Like Like x 2
  17. g8ysn

g8ysn Funster

currently stopping in gt yarmouth at my sister,s been looking at properties in and around HEMSBY nice clean area,got 2 sort flat out in notts first ,sold house, time to move on

• Like Like x 1
  18. jb0371

jb0371 Read Only Funster

Jon and shell is selling us house, pub, post office with shop, but no train

19. Jackspeak

Jackspeak Funster

Try North West Norfolk, Heacham is a lovely village not far from Hunstanton, Sandringham is on the doorstep. Lovely coastal villages nearby, 40 minutes from Wells-Next-The-Sea, 10 minutes to Kings Lynn which serves London. 45 minutes from Norwich plus the protection of The Wash and a those cold North Sea Winds.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

Noooooooo do not tell them all. Haha

• Like Like x 2