Where to go for a few days up to a couple of hours from Hull

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by scotzsue, May 3, 2016.

1. scotzsue

scotzsue Funster

Sitting tonight decided I wanted to get away for a few days, well up to a week. Ok he says sort it out and we will go, now stumped as to where. Like to be near water, but not essential, some decent walking, ie strolling not hiking, or biking and ale. Serves me right but just for once would like not to have to 'sort it out'. Happy for ths, rallies, cl/cs sites.
    Go on where would you head?

2. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

The firs cc site near Belper,Derbyshire,lovely nice easy walking and some great views of the peak district ..Roy

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

North west Norfolk is an easy run from hull

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Hils and Glenns

Hils and Glenns Funster

We stayed here last week http://hookshousefarm.co.uk/ You can walk to Robin Hoods Bay. Bus outside the site to Whitby Scarborough. Fab views.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. scotzsue

scotzsue Funster

Stayed here when we got our first van, some lads on way home thought it would be fun to unhook our electric might be good to give it a second chance.

• Like Like x 1
  7. scotzsue

scotzsue Funster

8. Dazzlin

Dazzlin Funster Life Member

Withernsea or Saltfleet. North or south.
    We have stayéd at Park Resorts out of season for less than £8 a night. (But only when we have to!!!)

9. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Stay well clear of HULL!! It's full of ladies of ill repute, who offer their services for three groats and a viking's helmet, drinking dens that offer happy hour at 1953 prices, cigs that cost 1/-10p for 20, petrol at 3/-6d a gallon, and bread at 5 pence a loaf............:( Terrible place to visit.

Now, Skegness, on the other hand..........(y)(y)(y)(y)

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. scotzsue

scotzsue Funster

And there was me thinking that was Lancaster ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Tootles

Tootles Funster

I WISH!! Do you really think I would be wasting time messing about on here??? :Eeek:

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. scotzsue

scotzsue Funster

John's been to Skeggie loads of times, I've never stayed, but been for the day, think that was just about right.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Tootles

Tootles Funster

:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

My God lady, you missed the midnight bingo!! :(

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

Sorry we only stayed over night in the car parks. There is one right next to Iron Bridge itself.

upload_2016-5-3_22-47-32.png

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

You seem to be VERY well versed in the delights of Hull Tootsy ... :X3:

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

We like Withernsea and often park up on the North Promenade for the night, then off up North to Hornsea and depending on time available, tootle further up the coast, an alternative would be to go South of Withernsea and end up at Spurn Point.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. ****

**** Read Only Funster

Four hours north where i live in East lothian. Quite a few clean empty sandy beached, John Muir walkways what can be as lon or short as you want. Area has a fair few caravan sites. My town (North Berwick) Has two and town is a 15 minute walk from them. Plenty pubs and restaurants. We also have a train station if you fancy a pop into Edinburgh. 20 minutes to Waverley station and costs just over six quid off peak.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Hettie's Crew

Hettie's Crew Funster

From Hull it's a nice tootle to Filey Brigg site or Bridlington CC site going north or Sutton on sea CC site going south, though Skegness sands CC is very nicely placed. or Clumber Park CC, all within a couple of hours. Loads more but these are some we do.
    Don't forget York too and the new Fulford site as Rowntree Park CC is always booked up.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. sedge

sedge Funster

Ironbridge - no campsites there or really close.

However Blist's Hill is at least one day out on it's own, then if you want to do eg the tile factory at Jackport, and the fantastic Coalport museum another day.

There are other museums and things of interest so the thing to do is buy an Ironbridge 'passport' each when you get to the first site you want to visit. This allows you one entrance to each one and is valid for a year - so you don't have to do them all in one day by any means.

None of the sites is in easy walking distance of each other - well dotted about - and of course the gorge itself is fairly precipitous in and out. Blist's Hill isn't right at the bottom, it's on the way in from Telford direction Coalport is on the same side but hand a left at the bridge and it's a way along that road - and Jackport is on the other side of the river anyway. You can't cross the iron bridge by vehicle incidentally - only on foot.

I'd be more inclined to choose a campsite somewhere else in striking distance - Wolverley maybe? - handy for Kidderminster and Bewdley, Kinver Edge for walking - several pubs in Wolverley village itself at least 2 of them serving good food - plenty of people live in Wolverley - large houses in equally large ground mainly! (Bob Plant and his family used to live there and Mk I husband was forever seeing him with his latest flame - who got progressively younger as he 'matured' LOL) and walks along the canal. Lovely! Or maybe Much Wenlock? - Wenlock Edge - famous beauty spot and popular for hang gliding. And drive to Ironbridge Gorge itself as required.

If you visit Blist's Hill first - shedloads of tourist info both about the Gorge itself and other local 'don't miss' places you may never have heard of yet!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. scotzsue

scotzsue Funster

Thanks all, we will most probably take the motorbike for transport, providing forecast is good, I am a fair weather pillion lol Wonder how we would get on with parking a 7.3M motorhome on the carpark overnight. Will have a look at pub stopovers too. Love the Yorkshire coast, but fancy a little further afield.
    Notakwak, lovely area, but soon as I get over the border I seem to head for birthplace and family so dont always get much further than Ayrshire lol