Where to buy? (1 Viewer)

eclaire

Free Member
Jul 24, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Looking for our first RV (we currently have a big caravan) and wanting - we think- a Winnebago either brave or vectra. Apart from Ebay and general internet search can anyone point us in the right direction? Budget of about £16K so probably 95ish? needs to have a sofa and island bed layout and be ok on a car licence.
The idea is to buy it, try it out for a few weekends then sell the caravan if we like it, or it if we dont like it!!
thanks
claire:-}

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Hi, Claire, I think the Vecta is over 7.5 tons so not car licence, unless it's a Vauxhall Vectra!, and I wouldn't go for one of them!
Cheers, Dave:thumb::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

motorvating

Free Member
Feb 28, 2010
Hinckley
Funster No
MH
RV E350 Diesel
Exp
1 year
Looking for our first RV (we currently have a big caravan) and wanting - we think- a Winnebago either brave or vectra. Apart from Ebay and general internet search can anyone point us in the right direction? Budget of about £16K so probably 95ish? needs to have a sofa and island bed layout and be ok on a car licence.
The idea is to buy it, try it out for a few weekends then sell the caravan if we like it, or it if we dont like it!!
thanks
claire:-}

Check this site out.

http://www.motorhomes.mobi/Motorhomes/tabid/95/Style/American%20RV/Default.aspx

I think I saw a post on another site from you about a none runner RV.

Buying a RV is an expensive business, and if rushed will cost you a shed load of money in repairs.

You need to check everything works correctly by gas mains and 110 volt, if it does not deduct the cost of reparing it from the price, unless of course the seller has already done that.

Check the tyres because you will pay anything upwards of £500 for new tyres. If they are 7 years old they need replacing. If they are cracked on the wall they need replcaing and of course if they are worn.

Check for corrosion everywhere, and get under the RV to check. Really check closely the side lockers as they are mega expensive if corroded. Open the lockers and check the metle frames.

Check the floor of the RV for spongyness, if it is spongy investigate the floor.

Check for water staines inside in every cupboard.
Check toilet holds water. A blade closes and has a few inches of water sit above it to keep smells at bay.

Fill the water tanks and watch them drain to check the plumbing.

after you have checked go away and think about the problems before deciding to buy.

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi,firstly if you are concidering buying an RV its going to cost you quite a lot of money whether you buy old or new.
The maintenance on these things can be astranomical if you dont know what you are doing.
Even if you do know what your doing they are not cheap to run.
What may seem cheap to start with can quickly turn into a bottomless money pit.
Everything on RVs is bigger so it costs bigger,for example I just put new front brake pads on mine,£150. Fitted myself.
Tyres,a minimum of 3 times the cost of European tyres.
The list goes on and on.
That said,we would never part with ours,the comfort you get from them cannot be compaired with anything else only a yank.
Good luck with your search and remember this.....Do not believe ANYTHING an American RV dealer tells you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

eclaire

Free Member
Jul 24, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Hi, Claire, I think the Vecta is over 7.5 tons so not car licence, unless it's a Vauxhall Vectra!, and I wouldn't go for one of them!
Cheers, Dave:thumb::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Thanks Dave, the baby vectra comes in at just under the 7.5 at 16,000lbs but anything bigger is a no go!

One on ebay looked ok till we HPI'd it and it said it was cat B!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back