Where to buy non breakable crockery

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by FrCrilly, May 8, 2010.

1. FrCrilly

FrCrilly Read Only Funster

Hi All,

I’ve just bought my first motorhome and need to stock it with non breakable crockery (plates, bowls, cups and glasses). Any suggestions on where to look? (I’m based in Ireland). Also, any suggestions on special items to buy (eg anti break glass holders).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks In Advance for all responses.

2. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Hello there, sorry don't know how the camping shops are in Ireland but most camping shops sell them. HOWEVER, if you can wait until you go to one of the Rallies or meets then the stalls there usually have a really good selection, including the glasses that you mention.

Don't make the mistake I made of buying the first ones you see and then you see some really nice ones to match your motorhome!!!!

Welcome by the way to the motorhome pastime:thumb:

3. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

4. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

Sorry but i just use proper stuff, cant stand drinking from a plastic cup i have had caravans and my present style of unit for many years and havent actually broken anything crockery wise in the van whilst on the move or while im using them, and we have been all over europe with the units.
    I dont see the point of spending £20 for plastic stuff when you can buy a cheap 4 place set of crockery for around £8 at a supermarket.

5. vwalan

vwalan Funster

google towsure they will have all your questions answered in their catalogue.
    cheers alan.

6. Terry

Terry Funster

Don't know if you have them in Ireland but pound shops usually have loads in
    terry

7. madcow

madcow Deleted User

Corelle is the only thing to buy!

Hi,

We first bought melamine:RollEyes: plates but it really is not the same eating off of these. We have just discovered and changed to Corelle which is unbreakable toughened glass. It is amazing and stacks really flat. In my opinion it is the only thing to have. It is an American thing and can be bought from www.worldkitchen.co.uk

8. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

We have even managed to break the unbreakable stuff, so goodness knows what we would do with stuff thays meant to break. :RollEyes:

9. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

Same here-and our oblong china dinner plates fit the locker much better than round ones.:BigGrin:

Mike.

10. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

as its coming up to summer your local supermarket should have loads of unbreakable crockery and picnic items.

Sainsburys, Tescos and Morrisons in the UK certainly do including the plastic wine glasses and tumblers.

11. sedge

sedge Funster

We use the Arcoroc we had in the caravan. I hate plastic too!! Like the melamine, it goes out of fashion and they stop the patterns quite frequently these days, so don't pay a lot for whatever you have is my advice, then you won't have to get a second mortgage if you do break it! I quite like the latest designs in Tesco's at the moment as it happens.

But if you are going to France, the major supermarkets all seem to have much more stylish crockery at very reasonable prices, than we get!

12. MIN663

MIN663 Read Only Funster

Hi FrCrilly,

We bought ours from here http://www.riverswayleisure.co.uk/acatalog/MelamineSets.html
    also as already mentioned in a previous post
    http://www.towsure.com/category/7480-Cooking_and_Eating

Hope this helps
    MIN :thumb:

13. movan

movan Funster Life Member

I use the melamine but have one crockery mug which is MINE, ALL MINE, MINE MINE MINE:BigGrin: Will save you a fortune in coffee, tea, milk and sugar cos nobody will have a second cup....

Lots of people use the plastic ones so don't worry too much about something which is part of the enjoyment of having a new motorhome:thumb:

14. Big Momma

Big Momma Read Only Funster

You may also want to invest in some anti-slip matting which you can buy as individual mats or on a roll which can be cut to the size you require. This not only helps stuff from slipping around the cupboards when you are on the move but also dampens a lot of the rattling.

15. schojac

schojac Read Only Funster

Hi,

have to agree with those who have gone back to the real thing. I'm afraid plastic is just too false. I also have a mug that is mine all mine:boxing:

16. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

We have 4 of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VINTAGE-60s-7...K_Collectables_Vintage_RL&hash=item5d28f4f683

picked them up at car boot sales - hey keep drinks nice and hot and double up as drinking glasses! We also use a melamine picnic set (good quality ones) which we also got from a car boot sale many, many years ago - the chap who we bougt it off had had it for about 20 years when we bought it and it was pristine .... I think he only used it a couple of times!!! 8 mugs, large plates and bowls. We only have 4 of the bowls and a couple of plates in the 'van with us and still haven't worn out the first lot we put in there ... made to last in those days! Of course, I do have to keep reminding hubby that you can't keep bacon warm on one of the plates by putting it under the grill ... yes, he did it but only once, when we were new to camping and managed to create a weird modern art masterpiece!!!:Blush:

We like melamine plates and bowls simply because it doesn't cool the food down, like 'pottery' etc plates can, so the grub is always nice and hot when I sit down to scoff it.:BigGrin: Can't be doing with melamine mugs though ... yuk!::Eeek:

17. gillr49

gillr49 Read Only Funster

The Original Factory Shop have some lovely melamine sets at half the price of the camping shops.

18. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

THe problem with buying on line with iUK nternet retailers is the cost of shipping to Ireland, you will be far better off looking in your local supermarket or a camping shop in Ireland.

Peter