Where to buy in Spain?

Discussion in 'Spain' started by Gazza333, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Gazza333

Gazza333 Funster

well the neighbours have just put there house up for sale ,identical to ours and I'm shocked at the price. So now I'm thinking of selling up and buying a house in Spain and then just renting in England where I'll continue to work for 5 to 10 yrs

I have no preference to area really . Just up to about £130,000 must be detached . Must not have to pay communal charges. Don't mind being 30 mins away from coast . Must have room for my motorhome 7.5 m ( this is an absolute no compromise ). Close to main airports if I fly instead of drive. Say 1.5 hrs away

Would like shops etc pretty close, not bothered about swimming pool ( wife may disagree )

So to those that live in Spain. Any suggestions ?
    I know this is a wide net to throw but just looking into it at the moment

2. Scattycat

Scattycat Funster

3. Scattycat

Scattycat Funster

So why would you want to buy a property and not pay community charges?
    Why would you expect to get the services for nothing?

• Like Like x 2
  4. Clickem

Clickem Funster

Community charges are paid when a property is on an Urbanization, which provides a communal pool etc. A property can be off an urbanisation and so has no community fees. Not to be confused with the equivalent of local rates which all properties pay

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Falcon 269

Falcon 269 Funster

We live on the Costa Blanca and have done for 12 years. Plenty of decent Spanish towns inland but a healthy expat community closer to the coast. Depends on what you feel about living in a mostly Spanish-speaking area or more Brit-friendly. Airports close by at Alicante, Valencia and Murcia.

Your money will go further the more distance you put between yourself and the coast. You will pay community tax on any property but I'm guessing you want to avoid paying 'communal charges' for the maintenance of grounds and pool of a property within a group (community) of apartments.

You really need to think this through and spend time visiting possibly locations, get a decent feel for what works for you in Spain. Not a decision to leap into on a whim. :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
  6. Clickem

Clickem Funster

A very wide net. Other things that you might think about is do you want to be in an area that is very Spanish? If you don't speak the language you can be very isolated. Do you want to be in a Brit area or among a lot of other nationalities

Mountainous areas can be very cold. There should be a limited number of airports that are handy to you. We had a house near Alicante, thinking that Benidorm would always be well serviced by flights

They say that if you want to invest in Spanish property and leave the country with a million, you need to arrive with two million. UK property will have appreciated much more than Spanish property over the years. Having said that Spain offers a fantastic life style

• Like Like x 1
  7. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Financially I don't think your plan makes any sense, but of course there are other factors. If you are going to continue working in the UK I suggest rent somewhere in Spain when you need it and keep your house in the UK. This will also give you the opportunity to visit different areas and test whether living full time there is what you actually want to do.

There's also all the unknowns about Brexit which should better understood in a year or two.

• Like Like x 7
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

Can you rent your place out in UK and rent one to live in Spain?

• Like Like x 3
  9. jumartoo

jumartoo Funster

The recommendations on expat forums are to rent in various areas until you find somewhere you like.

Properties in the UK are a better investment than in Spain. Why not downsize there instead of renting and rent in Spain at least until the uncertainty of what may happen after Brexit is established.

After saying that make sure that any detached properties, if fairly new, have all the correct paperwork! Spain, for some people, has been a nightmare!!!

But as @Clickem said, the lifestyle in Spain is fantastic and the people very welcoming if you integrate.

Edit typed while the above were posting!

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  10. vwalan

vwalan Funster

better to keep a house here in uk and just travel around spain in a m,home or what ever. you get the best of every thing then . take things from uk that are dearer in spain . return to uk with items that are dearer in uk etc . just get the right sort of vehicle . big payload ,big fuel tanks .
    in the last twenty years i know my house as trebled or more in price. spain did increase but also went down alot about ten years ago. . did at one time think about buying there but now i know it would be a bad idea . just visit and move on .

• Like Like x 4
  11. Gazza333

Gazza333 Funster

That's just it. I don't want any community services, I don't want to be on an English resort complex with £250 a month charges for the nice green lawns and the pool I won't use and the bar and restaurant I won't use.

I'd buy the house outright I'd be the gardener of my garden and if I want a bar restaurant and entertainment I'll go out and find it .

12. Gazza333

Gazza333 Funster

Well I've always intended to retire to Spain. I'm ex forces so have lived around the world most of my life. I'm not looking for an expat community like Benidorm , I'm more looking for a nice Spanish area with a small expat community.

Brexit does give some concerns but then I'm a gambling man. People may be offloading property cheaper. My wife will be out in Spain a lot more than me and the weather is better for her health.

Not buying as an investment, buying as a lifestyle choice . Have travelled all up the coast and stopped at many areas and liked a lot of places. Obviously I'd travel out and look around but if I dint know of some nice areas then I may miss them on my searches.

• Like Like x 1
  13. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

What DBK said.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

my suggestion, is buy my house, its between Seville and Huelva, 30 minutes from coast, has small swimming pool, 5 bedrooms, plus a one bedroom finca. Council tax 200 euros per year, no other expences. PM if you want more information.

• Like Like x 1
  15. JohnH

JohnH Funster

For holidays I keep going back to Marjal. Not because of the site itself but it is near to Catral and Delores. Two villages where we have friends who live permanently. I love the lifestyle and were I a bit younger would move to that area. A few months ago someone we know purchased an apartment (I know you don't want one of those) for 20000 Euros. Bargains to be had in that area. Any of the small villages around there just stay away from the English "resorts" nearer the beaches.

16. The Dude

The Dude Funster

We lived in Crete for several years - bought a plot of land and built a house, which we sold in 2012. Many people ask us what we would recommend for someone wanting to move there - our answer is always the same and is equally relevant to Spain, France, Portugal etc etc - rent first and spend at least one whole winter there, then take stock.

• Like Like x 5
  17. Scattycat

Scattycat Funster

Oooops!
    Sorry, I thought you were referring to services like local taxes etc much like community charges/rates in the UK. Your post makes sense to me now.
    For me it would be to buy in a small village where you could get to know the locals and be involved in village life laying down foundations for when you retire there permenantly if indeed that's your ultimate plan

• Like Like x 2
  18. busby

busby Funster

Rent first,,,just remember most Brits leave there brains on the plane when buying property abroad. Been there done it. Plenty of properties up for long term rent and not expensive. BUSBY:):):).

• Like Like x 2
  19. BreweryDave

BreweryDave Funster Life Member

I will echo the above, rent first.
    We moved over last September and were going to buy in the 'campo' (countryside) half hour from the coast.
    Soon realised that the gorgeous 3 bed villa with land, pool, views etc whilst nice, didn't offer the lifestyle we wanted. Too isolated, and have to drive everywhere, also not particularly sociable as you are very isolated. Even the small villages are very insular. Lost our deposit, but rather that than be stuck somewhere we didn't want to be.
    Now renting on the coast, best decision we made. We are in the process of buying a UK house which will be rented out, offsetting our rent here, and offering a safe investment. Also giving us greater flexibility to move around if we want to.
    With the best will in the world, integrating isn't easy unless you have a good grasp of the language, most Spanish away from the tourist areas speak little or no English, so I strongly recommend learning the lingo at least to a good basic level before moving. That said, they are very friendly and accommodating, as long as you make the effort.
    We looked at all areas of Spain, and chose the Axarquia area, east of Malaga, primarily Spanish tourist area, without sky sports and tetleys bitter everywhere!
    I'll say it again, rent rent rent!!!

• Like Like x 6
    • Useful Useful x 2
  20. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

If you are thinking of buying in Spain you should do it after you buy in the UK, because if you buy in Spain first and then buy in the Uk, you leave yourself open to the 3% additional Stamp Duty rate.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1