Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
well the neighbours have just put there house up for sale ,identical to ours and I'm shocked at the price. So now I'm thinking of selling up and buying a house in Spain and then just renting in England where I'll continue to work for 5 to 10 yrs

I have no preference to area really . Just up to about £130,000 must be detached . Must not have to pay communal charges. Don't mind being 30 mins away from coast . Must have room for my motorhome 7.5 m ( this is an absolute no compromise ). Close to main airports if I fly instead of drive. Say 1.5 hrs away

Would like shops etc pretty close, not bothered about swimming pool ( wife may disagree )

So to those that live in Spain. Any suggestions ?
I know this is a wide net to throw but just looking into it at the moment

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
well the neighbours have just put there house up for sale ,identical to ours and I'm shocked at the price. So now I'm thinking of selling up and buying a house in Spain and then just renting in England where I'll continue to work for 5 to 10 yrs

I have no preference to area really . Just up to about £130,000 must be detached . Must not have to pay communal charges. Don't mind being 30 mins away from coast . Must have room for my motorhome 7.5 m ( this is an absolute no compromise ). Close to main airports if I fly instead of drive. Say 1.5 hrs away

Would like shops etc pretty close, not bothered about swimming pool ( wife may disagree )

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
So why would you want to buy a property and not pay community charges?
Why would you expect to get the services for nothing?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
Community charges are paid when a property is on an Urbanization, which provides a communal pool etc. A property can be off an urbanisation and so has no community fees. Not to be confused with the equivalent of local rates which all properties pay

Falcon 269

Free Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We live on the Costa Blanca and have done for 12 years. Plenty of decent Spanish towns inland but a healthy expat community closer to the coast. Depends on what you feel about living in a mostly Spanish-speaking area or more Brit-friendly. Airports close by at Alicante, Valencia and Murcia.

Your money will go further the more distance you put between yourself and the coast. You will pay community tax on any property but I'm guessing you want to avoid paying 'communal charges' for the maintenance of grounds and pool of a property within a group (community) of apartments.

You really need to think this through and spend time visiting possibly locations, get a decent feel for what works for you in Spain. Not a decision to leap into on a whim. :)

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
A very wide net. Other things that you might think about is do you want to be in an area that is very Spanish? If you don't speak the language you can be very isolated. Do you want to be in a Brit area or among a lot of other nationalities

Mountainous areas can be very cold. There should be a limited number of airports that are handy to you. We had a house near Alicante, thinking that Benidorm would always be well serviced by flights

They say that if you want to invest in Spanish property and leave the country with a million, you need to arrive with two million. UK property will have appreciated much more than Spanish property over the years. Having said that Spain offers a fantastic life style

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Financially I don't think your plan makes any sense, but of course there are other factors. If you are going to continue working in the UK I suggest rent somewhere in Spain when you need it and keep your house in the UK. This will also give you the opportunity to visit different areas and test whether living full time there is what you actually want to do.

There's also all the unknowns about Brexit which should better understood in a year or two.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
The recommendations on expat forums are to rent in various areas until you find somewhere you like.

Properties in the UK are a better investment than in Spain. Why not downsize there instead of renting and rent in Spain at least until the uncertainty of what may happen after Brexit is established.

After saying that make sure that any detached properties, if fairly new, have all the correct paperwork! Spain, for some people, has been a nightmare!!!

But as @Clickem said, the lifestyle in Spain is fantastic and the people very welcoming if you integrate.

Edit typed while the above were posting!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
better to keep a house here in uk and just travel around spain in a m,home or what ever. you get the best of every thing then . take things from uk that are dearer in spain . return to uk with items that are dearer in uk etc . just get the right sort of vehicle . big payload ,big fuel tanks .
in the last twenty years i know my house as trebled or more in price. spain did increase but also went down alot about ten years ago. . did at one time think about buying there but now i know it would be a bad idea . just visit and move on .

OP
OP
G

Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
So why would you want to buy a property and not pay community charges?
Why would you expect to get the services for nothing?
That's just it. I don't want any community services, I don't want to be on an English resort complex with £250 a month charges for the nice green lawns and the pool I won't use and the bar and restaurant I won't use.

I'd buy the house outright I'd be the gardener of my garden and if I want a bar restaurant and entertainment I'll go out and find it .

OP
OP
G

Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
Well I've always intended to retire to Spain. I'm ex forces so have lived around the world most of my life. I'm not looking for an expat community like Benidorm , I'm more looking for a nice Spanish area with a small expat community.

Brexit does give some concerns but then I'm a gambling man. People may be offloading property cheaper. My wife will be out in Spain a lot more than me and the weather is better for her health.

Not buying as an investment, buying as a lifestyle choice . Have travelled all up the coast and stopped at many areas and liked a lot of places. Obviously I'd travel out and look around but if I dint know of some nice areas then I may miss them on my searches.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Financially I don't think your plan makes any sense, but of course there are other factors. If you are going to continue working in the UK I suggest rent somewhere in Spain when you need it and keep your house in the UK. This will also give you the opportunity to visit different areas and test whether living full time there is what you actually want to do.

There's also all the unknowns about Brexit which should better understood in a year or two.
What DBK said.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995

my suggestion, is buy my house, its between Seville and Huelva, 30 minutes from coast, has small swimming pool, 5 bedrooms, plus a one bedroom finca. Council tax 200 euros per year, no other expences. PM if you want more information.

Reactions: kcy

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
For holidays I keep going back to Marjal. Not because of the site itself but it is near to Catral and Delores. Two villages where we have friends who live permanently. I love the lifestyle and were I a bit younger would move to that area. A few months ago someone we know purchased an apartment (I know you don't want one of those) for 20000 Euros. Bargains to be had in that area. Any of the small villages around there just stay away from the English "resorts" nearer the beaches.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We lived in Crete for several years - bought a plot of land and built a house, which we sold in 2012. Many people ask us what we would recommend for someone wanting to move there - our answer is always the same and is equally relevant to Spain, France, Portugal etc etc - rent first and spend at least one whole winter there, then take stock.

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
That's just it. I don't want any community services, I don't want to be on an English resort complex with £250 a month charges for the nice green lawns and the pool I won't use and the bar and restaurant I won't use.

I'd buy the house outright I'd be the gardener of my garden and if I want a bar restaurant and entertainment I'll go out and find it .
Oooops!
Sorry, I thought you were referring to services like local taxes etc much like community charges/rates in the UK. Your post makes sense to me now.
For me it would be to buy in a small village where you could get to know the locals and be involved in village life laying down foundations for when you retire there permenantly if indeed that's your ultimate plan

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Rent first,,,just remember most Brits leave there brains on the plane when buying property abroad. Been there done it. Plenty of properties up for long term rent and not expensive. BUSBY:):):).

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
I will echo the above, rent first.
We moved over last September and were going to buy in the 'campo' (countryside) half hour from the coast.
Soon realised that the gorgeous 3 bed villa with land, pool, views etc whilst nice, didn't offer the lifestyle we wanted. Too isolated, and have to drive everywhere, also not particularly sociable as you are very isolated. Even the small villages are very insular. Lost our deposit, but rather that than be stuck somewhere we didn't want to be.
Now renting on the coast, best decision we made. We are in the process of buying a UK house which will be rented out, offsetting our rent here, and offering a safe investment. Also giving us greater flexibility to move around if we want to.
With the best will in the world, integrating isn't easy unless you have a good grasp of the language, most Spanish away from the tourist areas speak little or no English, so I strongly recommend learning the lingo at least to a good basic level before moving. That said, they are very friendly and accommodating, as long as you make the effort.
We looked at all areas of Spain, and chose the Axarquia area, east of Malaga, primarily Spanish tourist area, without sky sports and tetleys bitter everywhere!
I'll say it again, rent rent rent!!!

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I will echo the above, rent first.
We moved over last September and were going to buy in the 'campo' (countryside) half hour from the coast.
Soon realised that the gorgeous 3 bed villa with land, pool, views etc whilst nice, didn't offer the lifestyle we wanted. Too isolated, and have to drive everywhere, also not particularly sociable as you are very isolated. Even the small villages are very insular. Lost our deposit, but rather that than be stuck somewhere we didn't want to be.
Now renting on the coast, best decision we made. We are in the process of buying a UK house which will be rented out, offsetting our rent here, and offering a safe investment. Also giving us greater flexibility to move around if we want to.
With the best will in the world, integrating isn't easy unless you have a good grasp of the language, most Spanish away from the tourist areas speak little or no English, so I strongly recommend learning the lingo at least to a good basic level before moving. That said, they are very friendly and accommodating, as long as you make the effort.
We looked at all areas of Spain, and chose the Axarquia area, east of Malaga, primarily Spanish tourist area, without sky sports and tetleys bitter everywhere!
I'll say it again, rent rent rent!!!

If you are thinking of buying in Spain you should do it after you buy in the UK, because if you buy in Spain first and then buy in the Uk, you leave yourself open to the 3% additional Stamp Duty rate.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Only you can decide where you want to live, like anywhere you get what you pay for and it's always location that demands a higher premium.

With us it was renting villas in Javea Costa Blanca 20 years ago, travelling in the motorhome around Europe for the last 10 years and every winter ending up staying at camping javea for longer periods we then full timed just over 2 years after selling our home in the UK we put a caravan on the site, while still looking. Then December decided Javea is where we want to be, looked at loads of villas, then apartments because of the location. (y)
What ever we had was always going to be rented out, and having the apartment gives us a winter home and proving to be a good holiday rental that can be locked and left to enable us to carry on travelling and not worry about it. :D
And yes it costs having an agent and communal charges but so did having our empty bungalow in the UK. :ROFLMAO:

Good luck whatever you decide but for us it's not having to use the car (camper) to go out, having someone keeping the garden and pool nice, and crossing the road and having a nice sandy beach and a prom full of bars / restaurants and shops and still travelling when we leave there. (y)
Bob and Janie.

http://lasdunasjavea.com

Last edited:

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
If I get this right you are going to sell up, rent in the UK and buy in Spain. If it were me I would be looking at my overall finances first. How much capital have I got, would I have enough cash to be able to buy back in the UK if/when I decide to come back, or am I happy to rent and never buy? What about pension? Health? Family? Friends?

But the best advice as others say, try before you buy, or live in your m/h. And it's not just the winter, the summer can be ferociously hot, friends tell me.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I can't see any rush to buy.
It's not as if Spanish property prices are going up anytime soon.... massive, massive stock of unsold property and many more folk waiting to sell, hoping for a property recovery (I think they're in denial).
I know a few who are banking profits (bought in the nineties) and a good few more who have sold at a loss or are trapped in negative equity.

Relatively speaking, it's not cheap either, take a look at the Canary Islands.
It might not be where you want to live but it is the alternative for 'speculators' and offers better investment returns.
Flights are similar prices and holiday season is 9-10 months of the year.
Just another couple of reasons why buying in Spain might not be a shrewd move.

As others have said, why not rent ? It's cheap as chips (often cheaper than a long-term winter pitch), you're not committed to an area and not exposed to the risks of property ownership... just my tuppence worth

Nov 28, 2010
Torrevieja, Spain
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip H720
Exp
December 2011
For long term rent I would avoid any apartment next to the pool unless you like plenty of noise and screaming kids, you might find it ok on a short break but it will get through to you,

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
For long term rent I would avoid any apartment next to the pool unless you like plenty of noise and screaming kids, you might find it ok on a short break but it will get through to you,
Only in July and August, the rest of the time it's like your own private pool! ( at least, it is where we are!)

Nov 28, 2010
Torrevieja, Spain
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip H720
Exp
December 2011
Only in July and August, the rest of the time it's like your own private pool! ( at least, it is where we are!)
You are one of the lucky ones our friends have a lovely house in front of the pool and have been trying to sell it for 6 years and it is very reasonably price but the noise from the pool starts in May and subsides towards the end of September

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
You are one of the lucky ones our friends have a lovely house in front of the pool and have been trying to sell it for 6 years and it is very reasonably price but the noise from the pool starts in May and subsides towards the end of September

Which brings us back to the importance of renting in an area you're not familiar with.

Brianbern

Free Member
Jul 24, 2014
Chester or sometimes Spain
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1983off and on
We Own a house in Pinar de Campoverde, Costa blanca. You can still buy a 2 bed detached there for about €150k. Our "rates" are €500 a yr and community charges for the pool €300. Alternatively have you thought about long term renting, about €500 a month but thevowner oays the rates and community charges. Dont forget you have to add 13% taxes, fees on top of your purchase price and as a non resident have to pay a yearly charge based on the value of your property.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back