Where to buy a data SIM card in Benidorm

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by quickweh, Jan 31, 2014.

1. quickweh

quickweh Funster

Do any Funsters know where to buy a data SIM card in Benidorm? Prepay, about 1 gig a month if possible for use in an unlocked 3 mi-fi. Any advice much appreciated.:thumb:
    Campsite Wi-Fi useless and expensive. Arriving late next week and want to buy on arrival.

2. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

1 Gig a month, I used that in a very short space of time. Wifi on site appears to be ok, no limit as far as I can tell and the download speeds are in the region of between 2-4Mbps and upload about 0.5meg.

3. grasscutter

grasscutter Funster Life Member

Mike, the best place is the indoor market. There are two stalls. Do not use Andy's go to the other one. Most of the funsters down here at Villasol are using their mifi's with the Hits sim. They do rates for 1,2 & 3 gig.
    Graham :thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Rapide561

Rapide561 Read Only Funster

SIM

Is there still a Carrefour supermarket, towards the old town?

The Carrefour pay and go mobile tariff might suit you.

Russell

5. quickweh

quickweh Funster

1 Gig OK

Thanks ShifZZ, the campsites in Benidorm have a Dutch population with Wi-Fi masts sucking in the signal. This and the cost of campsite Wi-Fi make a 3G dongle more attractive for my modest use, mostly browsing and a more secure banking method. I used a Europa SIM last year, OK up to a point but go over your data allowance at it empties your account rapidly!! Then try to get back on line to top up, nightmare. Something like the system operated by 3 would be
    ideal if there is one in Spain.:Smile:

6. beerdrinker1

beerdrinker1 Funster

Graham ( grasscutter) is absolutely spot on with his advice, most of us learned the hard way, Villasol wifi next to useless due to the reasons you outlined,

The stall in the indoor market is . . . . mi mobile, run by two helpful guys who won't rip you off, but sell you want you need, the one which will suit you is by a company called HITS, you can buy the data only sim in 500mb, 1gb, 2 or 3gb, i bought the 3gb its lasted all month and only used 1.5gig so far,

It cost 30euros and has been ultra reliable,

Hope that helps,

Ken
    :thumb: :drink::drink:

• Like Like x 2
  7. Spottycatz

Spottycatz Read Only Funster

We've done the same as Ken and Graham :thumb:

Great deal and good reception.

8. SuperMike

SuperMike Read Only Funster

Eurooa SIM gives 500mb per day for 3 euros, I think, how are you going over that ? :Rofl1:

9. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

I have a Europa sim which has worked well but I am on site wi fi here using my I Boost which seems to receive a much stronger signal even though everyone is complaining about how slow the site wi fi is .
    Great bit of kit :thumb:

10. Addie

Addie Trader - Motorhome Wifi

I think quickweh is on the very early EuropaSIM tariff which was slightly cheaper at €2/day but only gave 100Mb and cost you if you exceeded that. quickweh if you want to drop me an e-mail (sales[at]motorhomewifi.com I will check your tariff for you). It's now been replaced with €3/day for 'Unlimited' data, but with a 500Mb far use policy which just slows down if you exceed - which is what you have SuperMike :thumb:

Of course, a local SIM may work out cheaper.

It's not so much that they 'suck in the signal', using a WiFi doesn't deprive other people of signal strength - but it does make the WiFi more accessible for those who have a Booster so in essence they use it more which make it slower.

The biggest issue I think Spanish campsites are facing is people watching TV via the internet. I hope that they manage this going forward via a fair usage policy eg 500Mb/day rather than putting up the price to discourage use.

11. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

12. ukbill

ukbill Funster

whats been said is the best advice 3gig for 30euro which includes the charge for the sim and the data allowance we all had hits sims at villasol and it was great speed and no problems with it at all any problems leave a message on here for the it man who has now left the villasol crazy gang to their own devices :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:
    And remember go to andys at your own peril and stay clear of lebara which locks u into a contract for 31 days and any top ups within that time will be charged at normal expensive rates :Smile:

13. ukbill

ukbill Funster

quote It's not so much that they 'suck in the signal', using a WiFi doesn't deprive other people of signal strength - but it does make the WiFi more accessible for those who have a Booster so in essence they use it more which make it slower.

The biggest issue I think Spanish campsites are facing is people watching TV via the internet. I hope that they manage this going forward via a fair usage policy eg 500Mb/day rather than putting up the price to discourage use.

the problems as we were told at villasol is that they have a ordinary router which is repeated throughout the site and they are also using ahora which on its own is crap anyway

14. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

We have been using the basic Carrefour system without problem. 1 Euro per day for 100mb at 3G then it slows to 128k but doesn't cut you off.

Carrefour Móvil
    Tarifa diaria:
    This is the default plan for carrefour data SIM cards, no activation is necessary.
    1 euro per day, 100 MB at full 3G speed, thereafter speed is reduced to 128k
    You are charged only for the days that you connect.
    A 3 euro/month minimum spending applies.

A 'bono 1GB' add on is available:
    19 Euro for 30 days, 1GB at full 3G speed, thereafter speed is reduced to 128k
    Enable this plan by sending SMS to 22864 with the text ALTA BONO 1GB
    Quit the plan by sending BAJA BONO 1GB to 22864
    Check the amount of data you have used by sending BONO 1GB to 22864

A 'bono 3GB' add on is also available:
    29 Euro for 30 days, 3GB at full 3G speed, thereafter speed is reduced to 128k
    Make sure that you have enough balance on your SIM card (at least 35 Euro).
    Enable the plan by sending SMS to 22864 with the text ALTA BONO 3GB
    Check the amount of data you have used by sending BONO 3GB to 22864 (5 free SMS per month)

SIM card costs 10 Euro, with 5 Euro credit.

15. quickweh

quickweh Funster

The Mi Mobile guy has lost his Spanish partner who has set up just around the corner in the market. So important, the best advice and data sims are still at "mi mobile", my advice is do not use the others.
    :Smile:

• Like Like x 2
  16. ukbill

ukbill Funster

i am hoping to have the europasim acvtive by the time we are at Peterborough or will check it out with mh wifi i still think thats now the best way to go due to the fact it is ok for all of europe

17. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

There is Plan B, there is ( was ) reasonable WiFi provided throughout Benidorm, can't remember the name but do a scan and you can sign up on line.

18. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

Graham (Grasscutter) is right! However, now that a lot of people have left Villasol the campsite WiFi is working reasonably well. My advise is buy 1 days campsite WiFi and if it's OK upgrade to a month as there will be no limits on downloads. Otherwise, it's the indoor market and the Hit's Sim card. there are two guy's on the stall you want, Paul who is Scott's and ? who is Spanish, both will set you up for your needs. suggest you get 3 Gig's worth of data and use it sparingly.

19. ukbill

ukbill Funster

brian if u mean ahora network thats what i used for 1 day in beni and it was crap :Smile:

• Like Like x 1