Where of to france 18/19 july any good places to go??

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by david1234, Jun 28, 2009.

1. david1234

david1234 Deleted User

Hi all we are of to france on the 18 july stay overnight in calais port then heading south to the gorge de verdon and the med then maybe spain or italy not sure, see where our wheels take us for 3 weeks,
    any good places to visit for 2 kids wife and a moped was going to do aires and some campsites.
    wanted beaches and water parks fishing etc etc any good ones anyone.

also any newbies worried about traveling france want to head down with us you are more than welcome must worn u we are like the family from the film RV ????:Rofl1:

2. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Hi David and clan

There are some good guides with stacks of info

- All The Aires France Vicarious Books
    - Alan Rogers France gives all inspected campsites etc

Vicarious books also offer others

good luck

Larry

3. david1234

david1234 Deleted User

thanks guys,i have the Vicarious book, want some good campsites for the kids :thumb:

4. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

>> Where of to france 18/19 july any good places to go??

Oh lots of them.

>>
    also any newbies worried about traveling france want to head down with us

And you're ones asking us where to go :)

5. Sweet Chariot

Sweet Chariot Read Only Funster

We returned yesterday from our first trip to France went for a month. I can 100% recommend El der Re the island of La Rochelle. Take your cycles heaven for kids as well.:thumb:

6. estcres

estcres Read Only Funster

Just opened the latest CC Magazine (page 38) and there is an article in there about some new speed limits recently introduced in France, these limits may have an effect on UK travellers.

There is also some comment about vehicles having to display speed labels on the rear of their vehicle. 2 notices, one for 80Km and one for 90Km. They are only available from HGV sources in France

Also there appears to be some confusion about what the new law actually means, one organisation, the FFCC has their opinion and the FIA has theirs, if the 2 organisations can't agree on the interpretations how can we, the travelling public.

The CC magazine is advising that you travel at the lower speed limit (80Km) if your vehicle or combined vehicle and trailer exceed 3.5t. until they can get the law clarified.

Good write up on the Ile de Re and La Rochelle area, (page 50)

Hope this information is useful as we don't want Funsters being done for speeding.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
  7. david1234

david1234 Deleted User

yes i know lots of places in france but as its so large do you know every part????:Rofl1:

8. david1234

david1234 Deleted User

yes that looks nice we went right past it last year from spain but wanted to get to brittany quickish and didnt have time thanks

9. hilldweller

Good god no. We've camped ( Eurocamp ) twenty odd years ago. Visited by Bike. And lately visited by MH. We've not even scratched the surface.

BUT, we got diverted about 15 years ago by our first trip to Italy. Fell in love with the place so that France became a stepping stone into Italy.

So why don't you wander across the south of France, up to Turin then Maggiore. Try Cannero Riviera. If you don't fall in love with the place, sue me. Do the Borromeo Island of Isola Madre, the Scottish built gardens of Villa Taranto. Your life will be changed forever, I guarantee it.

10. david1234

david1234 Deleted User

normaly head south of france narbonne area never realy stop only fuel then head to spain but italy sounds intresting just bought a zrx1200 like a lawson rep but modenish?? with intention of touring but have to use the motorhome as its wasted as it is.maybe when kids have gone me and misses will do on the bike? ill google earth some of the italy bits but we have only got just under 3 weeks and back again,
    when we first done france we hated it no gps lost most of the time didnt know about aires etc,:Eeek: hence the newbie bit,

11. hilldweller

I failed to say that our first trip to Italy was on a Yam FZ750 to see Foggy at Monza. So fell in love with Italy in Cannero at Hotel Cannero. After a few return visits we were greeted by the hotel owner as The Mad English on a motorbike. It's the only place we've every made so many return visits.

Now at 65 we sort of like the comfort of the MH but desperately miss the excitement of the bike. We've just done a few hundred miles on the VFR70 this year but we have the opposite dilemma to you. Do we use the bike and have thousands of pounds parked up at home ? I feel the need for a long blast when the frogs have gone back to work :)

Anyway - DO ITALY - trust me on this. Better on a bike, overtake an Italian car or two and they go into Death or Glory mode to keep up, great sport.

12. david1234

david1234 Deleted User

i must admit i get the right hump with car drivers try it on when on the bike, as they dont seem to get that there car realy hasnt got a chance,

im the same in the motorhome catch alot of cars out thinking there going to do a cheaky one of the lights or the cars that tail gate you in a straight line but when the twisty bits come you lose them:Rofl1:

bikers, drive a car/van ect very diffrent from a none biker never been happy as a passenger in a car unless they ride bikes most car drivers will never understand this and will never agree untill they ride then they get it:Doh: Dont you think??

13. hilldweller

I think the saddest thing of all is the biker who drives like a car driver. Sat there in a long queue at lights while I just potter safely to the front.

And the same overtaking. They just sit there, often on a hot bike in brand new leathers. Waste of space.

It never happens in Italy unless it's got a UK sticker on it.

One day we were going from Maggiore to Firenza and took the motorway south on a Saturday - big mistake. Fully loaded it was not good for filtering but within minutes we were educated by the Italians, who swept past on the hard shoulder. Mile after mile we went as the people fried in their cars. BRILLIANT. No one objected and when a bridge blocked the hard shoulder they just let us in. Biggest problem was heat, we ended up in shirt sleeves, like the cops, with our coats bungeed to the top box. Even then we were HOT so gave up going south at Rome, then cut across to Riccioni which is gorgeous.

Must do this in the MH.

14. skippy

skippy Read Only Funster

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:
    If you are in Brantome area try Aires in centre of small town field behind carpark next to river fishing and kayaking on river well worth stopping Skippy

15. Elvis

Elvis Read Only Funster

Yes! Benodet, Brittany

Great, place, I lived on a site on the beach called 'Point Saint Gille' (not sure of exact spelling) I lived on there for about 8 months in the 80s & went back a few years ago, nothing has changed, still great and kid friendly - pools and evening entertainment and so on - can book online and may have to book now, as very popular site :thumb:

16. david1234

david1234 Deleted User

17. david1234

david1234 Deleted User

just had a look google earth that looks nice, one to add to my gps i think:thumb:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2009
  18. cpease

cpease Read Only Funster

Anywhere in France is good, we like the West Coast south of Royan down to Spain, plenty to do, water parks,giant sandune, lots of cycle tracks, surfing etc,etc