Where is your reversing monitor?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by DanielFord, Aug 29, 2015.

1. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

The reversing camera monitor on our van has been on it's last legs for quite sometime now, it is one of those that clip over the rear view mirror. On our recent excursion to Europe, I found this a complete pain in the arse, because it is so large, I spent all the time ducking down to look under it. In fact if we are honest, the rear view mirror serves no useful purpose so I am going to remove both.

I have purchased a monitor that will be mounted on the dash, and I was intending to mount it on the fairly useless clipboard thingy in the middle of the dash, slightly angled towards me. But now I am thinking, perhaps I should mount it on the right hand side of the instrument cluster (currently the sat nav lives here)

Where have others got their monitors, and what are your views (pardon the pun)?

2. markh

markh

I abandoned the reversing camera as my wife nips down to the back window to look, so no need for it, my sat nav is stuck to the windscreen, in the middle, just below eye level and angled toward me, I use it as my speedometer as the Fiat one is hard to see and also inaccurate

3. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

I have a twin cam system ,with the monitor mounted in the middle of the dash with a slight angle towards me .
    The long range camera is on constantly and acts as a rear view mirror ,as the mirror itself is useless

4. Cal54

Cal54 Funster Life Member

Mine is a flip down monitor set in the roof well pleased with it as it can be closed up when not in use. Didn't want anything else on the dash, already got dash cam, tyre pal and sat nav on there and couldn't have a mirror mounted one as it would foul the blinds.

• Like Like x 1
  5. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

We dont have a big one on this MH . There is a small monitor for reversing in the radio/cd unit. Not great but does the job I suppose.

6. jetlag03

jetlag03 Funster

Mine clips over the rear view mirror. As the van has a full garage at the back the mirror has zero use so bought twin cams, one now works as if a standard rear view mirror the other cam operates automatically I select reverse and voila, close to rear and down looking camera

7. Allanm

Allanm Funster

We have the clip over mirror type too, no windows at the back. We get a discount on insurance for the reversing camera and I have it on normally when driving. It doesn't obstruct my vision any more than a normal rear view mirror.
    I can see how it does though. Looking at other vans coming towards us, ( as well as waving). I notice people driving A class vans seem to be sitting quite low and look relaxed. A lot of people driving coachbuilds tend to be sitting very high, you almost can't see their heads as it disappears above the windscreen!
    Me? I sit as low as I can. Maybe some driver seats don't adjust up and down very much.

8. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Ours is far right on the dash, big 7 inch screen on all the time ignition is on, camera switches to close view when reverse selected.

• Like Like x 2
  9. ivorantony

ivorantony Funster

Much the same as above but use a quad camera system that switches on with the indicators to give a view down the side,
    When on narrow roads ( west of Loch Lomond for instance) I fold in mirrors and use the cameras, these I can leave on permanently via menu, but are overridden when selecting reverse,
    But if the whole lot went up in smoke I wouldn't canceled my holiday:D:D:D

• Like Like x 1
  10. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

In the radio head unit.

11. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

The big one with tyrepal sat on top
    Journey recorder in pen tray
    EDIT I also changed back to a 4:3 monitor rather than widescreen. When used with a 90 degree lens the rear view is far more realistic and better for judging following traffic.
    image.jpg

12. maison

maison Funster

Ours is the same. Mounted on the far right of the dashboard, near the A post, it is completely out of the way while driving normally but fully visible when needed. I don't like too many items in the centre of the windscreen. (Sat av etc).

13. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

On the last van i fitted one of the clip over the mirror ones, good position but the monitor had a glass screen had to see in bright sun. Current van I fitted a twin camera and a double din stereo unit that displays the cameras, much neater solution.

14. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

That's the sort of setup I am thinking of (except in reverse on ours being a RHD) actually look quite neat.

15. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Ours is mounted at the right of the dash as well. See Here.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Charlie

Charlie Funster

Ours is where the rear view mirror would be. It's just so intuitive as when I'm driving our car that's where I look.
    Our one is switched so it's permanently on. This means at a glance I can see what is coming up behind me and how far away it is . Just like glancing in the normal rear view mirror.

For me having another device on the dash is not an option if I want it permanently on. I have the Nav on the dash the camera where I intuitively would look so another device is one to many.

I'm not sure about the legality of having the camera on all the time but it is much safer and I can turn it off on the remote control if I want too..

17. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Ours is on the right hand side on the dash and is a dual camera so you have a view of the road behind you and then it goes to a view of the rear bumper when reverse is selected. I like it there as when driving forward (as in most of the time) I can see the camera vie at the same time as I use the wing mirror.

Rear view mirror gives a look at the van interior as is useless for seeing what is happening outside unless there is a truck so close it needs a condom...... but isn't their some law that say you have to have a rear view mirror? I know all the panel vans and closed cab vans I have driven have always had them.

18. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

its still here

19. campa cola

campa cola Funster

previously I had the screen on the clipboard thingy flipped up all the time. This time in my new cab I have screwed the screen ontop of the closed clipboard and have drilled a small hole to take the wires through into the radio compartment. If you take the radio out it obviously makes all this easier if you are going to have to rewire from your mirror to the dash area.
    I also bought a double din radio/dvd/internet/bluetooth system which has the ability to display an on screen picture from a camera{s} if you so wish, getting rid of the need for an extra screen. (I have 3 cameras one rear, and two for 180 degrees vision of the scenery on the left hand side of the van for johnny foreignerland) so need the extra screen

I keep my reversing cam on all the time, and it saved me a few weeks ago when some tosser parked up next to my rear bumper and I just saw him in time..........

I had to put a cardboard visor on the screen but the 7" is fine for me to have a good view of the road behind and its not a problem to glance in that position and its not blocking any views.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  20. campa cola

campa cola Funster

I think you need the rear mirror to be present for an MOT test ?