Where is your reversing monitor? (1 Viewer)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
The reversing camera monitor on our van has been on it's last legs for quite sometime now, it is one of those that clip over the rear view mirror. On our recent excursion to Europe, I found this a complete pain in the arse, because it is so large, I spent all the time ducking down to look under it. In fact if we are honest, the rear view mirror serves no useful purpose so I am going to remove both.

I have purchased a monitor that will be mounted on the dash, and I was intending to mount it on the fairly useless clipboard thingy in the middle of the dash, slightly angled towards me. But now I am thinking, perhaps I should mount it on the right hand side of the instrument cluster (currently the sat nav lives here)

Where have others got their monitors, and what are your views (pardon the pun)?

markh

Free Member
Jun 4, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Lots
I abandoned the reversing camera as my wife nips down to the back window to look, so no need for it, my sat nav is stuck to the windscreen, in the middle, just below eye level and angled toward me, I use it as my speedometer as the Fiat one is hard to see and also inaccurate

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
I have a twin cam system ,with the monitor mounted in the middle of the dash with a slight angle towards me .
The long range camera is on constantly and acts as a rear view mirror ,as the mirror itself is useless

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Mine is a flip down monitor set in the roof well pleased with it as it can be closed up when not in use. Didn't want anything else on the dash, already got dash cam, tyre pal and sat nav on there and couldn't have a mirror mounted one as it would foul the blinds.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We dont have a big one on this MH . There is a small monitor for reversing in the radio/cd unit. Not great but does the job I suppose.

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Mine clips over the rear view mirror. As the van has a full garage at the back the mirror has zero use so bought twin cams, one now works as if a standard rear view mirror the other cam operates automatically I select reverse and voila, close to rear and down looking camera

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We have the clip over mirror type too, no windows at the back. We get a discount on insurance for the reversing camera and I have it on normally when driving. It doesn't obstruct my vision any more than a normal rear view mirror.
I can see how it does though. Looking at other vans coming towards us, ( as well as waving). I notice people driving A class vans seem to be sitting quite low and look relaxed. A lot of people driving coachbuilds tend to be sitting very high, you almost can't see their heads as it disappears above the windscreen!
Me? I sit as low as I can. Maybe some driver seats don't adjust up and down very much.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Ours is far right on the dash, big 7 inch screen on all the time ignition is on, camera switches to close view when reverse selected.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
Ours is far right on the dash, big 7 inch screen on all the time ignition is on, camera switches to close view when reverse selected.

Much the same as above but use a quad camera system that switches on with the indicators to give a view down the side,
When on narrow roads ( west of Loch Lomond for instance) I fold in mirrors and use the cameras, these I can leave on permanently via menu, but are overridden when selecting reverse,
But if the whole lot went up in smoke I wouldn't canceled my holiday:D:D:D

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The big one with tyrepal sat on top
Journey recorder in pen tray
EDIT I also changed back to a 4:3 monitor rather than widescreen. When used with a 90 degree lens the rear view is far more realistic and better for judging following traffic.
image.jpg

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Ours is the same. Mounted on the far right of the dashboard, near the A post, it is completely out of the way while driving normally but fully visible when needed. I don't like too many items in the centre of the windscreen. (Sat av etc).

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
On the last van i fitted one of the clip over the mirror ones, good position but the monitor had a glass screen had to see in bright sun. Current van I fitted a twin camera and a double din stereo unit that displays the cameras, much neater solution.

OP
OP
D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
The big one with tyrepal sat on top
Journey recorder in pen tray
EDIT I also changed back to a 4:3 monitor rather than widescreen. When used with a 90 degree lens the rear view is far more realistic and better for judging following traffic.
View attachment 74238
That's the sort of setup I am thinking of (except in reverse on ours being a RHD) actually look quite neat.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Ours is where the rear view mirror would be. It's just so intuitive as when I'm driving our car that's where I look.
Our one is switched so it's permanently on. This means at a glance I can see what is coming up behind me and how far away it is . Just like glancing in the normal rear view mirror.

For me having another device on the dash is not an option if I want it permanently on. I have the Nav on the dash the camera where I intuitively would look so another device is one to many.

I'm not sure about the legality of having the camera on all the time but it is much safer and I can turn it off on the remote control if I want too..

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Ours is on the right hand side on the dash and is a dual camera so you have a view of the road behind you and then it goes to a view of the rear bumper when reverse is selected. I like it there as when driving forward (as in most of the time) I can see the camera vie at the same time as I use the wing mirror.

Rear view mirror gives a look at the van interior as is useless for seeing what is happening outside unless there is a truck so close it needs a condom...... but isn't their some law that say you have to have a rear view mirror? I know all the panel vans and closed cab vans I have driven have always had them.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
previously I had the screen on the clipboard thingy flipped up all the time. This time in my new cab I have screwed the screen ontop of the closed clipboard and have drilled a small hole to take the wires through into the radio compartment. If you take the radio out it obviously makes all this easier if you are going to have to rewire from your mirror to the dash area.
I also bought a double din radio/dvd/internet/bluetooth system which has the ability to display an on screen picture from a camera{s} if you so wish, getting rid of the need for an extra screen. (I have 3 cameras one rear, and two for 180 degrees vision of the scenery on the left hand side of the van for johnny foreignerland) so need the extra screen

I keep my reversing cam on all the time, and it saved me a few weeks ago when some tosser parked up next to my rear bumper and I just saw him in time..........

I had to put a cardboard visor on the screen but the 7" is fine for me to have a good view of the road behind and its not a problem to glance in that position and its not blocking any views.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Ours is on the right hand side on the dash and is a dual camera so you have a view of the road behind you and then it goes to a view of the rear bumper when reverse is selected. I like it there as when driving forward (as in most of the time) I can see the camera vie at the same time as I use the wing mirror.

Rear view mirror gives a look at the van interior as is useless for seeing what is happening outside unless there is a truck so close it needs a condom...... but isn't their some law that say you have to have a rear view mirror? I know all the panel vans and closed cab vans I have driven have always had them.
I think you need the rear mirror to be present for an MOT test ?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
but isn't their some law that say you have to have a rear view mirror? I know all the panel vans and closed cab vans I have driven have always had them.

No you don't, not even on a car. The rule is that you need at least 2 rear view options so as long as you have 2 wing mirrors you are legal.

EDIT: Just had a look and interestingly the only one that is obligatory is the offside wing mirror.

http://www.ukmot.com/manual/8.1/View-to-Rear

Last edited by a moderator:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Ours is where the rear view mirror would be. It's just so intuitive as when I'm driving our car that's where I look.
Yes I understand that but I have spent much more time driving LGV's and vans over the years I tend to use the side mirrors much more that the interior one on pretty much anything I drive. My lads used to ask why I didn't turn round to look out of the back window to reverse and now my youngest after driving a van for about six years doesn't do it when driving his car, just uses mirrors. (y)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

That's the same as ours.

There is nothing illegal about a monitor being on all the time, it is simply another rear view device.

As regards mounting a monitor (or a sat nav for that matter) on the dash/clipboard, one has to be careful not to fall foul of the rules against obscuring the driver's view. After trying various options (see Here) we have the sat nav mounted on the modified cup holder and the dash cam mounted on the passenger parcel shelf.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
That's the same as ours.

There is nothing illegal about a monitor being on all the time, it is simply another rear view device.

As regards mounting a monitor (or a sat nav for that matter) on the dash/clipboard, one has to be careful not to fall foul of the rules against obscuring the driver's view. After trying various options (see Here) we have the sat nav mounted on the modified cup holder and the dash cam mounted on the passenger parcel shelf.
DO you think it might be illegal to drive with the FIAT/Pugeot clipboard in the raised position ???

Apr 23, 2014
Naarfook
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano
Exp
5 years
Mine is sat over the rear view mirror, it's not too large so is no problem, I only use it when reversing so it's idle for most of the time.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
DO you think it might be illegal to drive with the FIAT/Pugeot clipboard in the raised position ???
It's not something we've ever done so I just went out to have a look. I don't know whether it would actually be illegal but I wouldn't do it as it creates a substantial obstruction.

When we used to mount the sat nav on a plastic board held in the dash clipboard, the latter was closed and the device was far enough away from the screen not to cause an obstruction.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
As we have no back window, we have a dual rear-view camera + reversing camera, wired in where the rear-view mirror would have been. Came as standard when we bought the van. Doesn't obscure the window. May work for you as you say that your rear-view mirror is useless anyway, and it does give a half-decent replacement for this (only half-decent because you can't change the view by moving your head - still keep trying though:LOL:).

OP
OP
D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Mine is sat over the rear view mirror, it's not too large so is no problem, I only use it when reversing so it's idle for most of the time.
In this country, it presents no great problem. When driving on the right, massive inconvenience, especially when turning left! Have to look underneath it to see the oncoming traffic!

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Do not thinks so but my screen is on there but the mirror IS present anyway even though all there is behind is the bulkhead for the bed.
I find it quite natural to look up there to see what is behind but STILL find myself moving around to see in the mirror to find if there is something on my face/ checking my lippy' ??????????????? Old tit strikes again.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back