where IS your diesel night heater fitted ?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by lou020, Oct 6, 2015.

1. lou020

lou020 Funster

I'm getting a diesel night heater fitted. and was wondering where yours is fitted/located especially if you have an autotrail.
    Do you just use the single blower vent for the heater or have you connected it to the existing blown heater pipe work.?

And if any of you have fitted it your self to a 2008 fiat or similar, did you put a fuel pick up stack in your fuel tank.?

2. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

not on a fiat but fitted one to a vw wasnt difficult just drilled through the sender unit for the pick up pipe and we only had outlet im sure the size of your van you will need to duct it either end so a central position would be best on the side with the easiest run for the ducting

• Like Like x 1
  3. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Remember to choose a place for the exhaust to exit as well. As a long distance truck driver for many years in different vehicles I can tell you that some were bloody noisy and I would rather be cold than deaf! :eek:

• Like Like x 3
  4. f6c

f6c Funster

Stopped next to a few of these noisy buggers in my time. if i see the tell tail exhaust move on if you like your sleep!

• Like Like x 4
  5. lou020

lou020 Funster

I know, being a trucker my self,,although more ex now, it was like sleeping next to a jumbo jet, used to be nice though to come back to a nice warm cab even in a morning when set on timer.

The motorhome type have little exhausts on them now and can hardly hear them.

6. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

Again not an autotrail but ours is in a false bottom in one of the under seats in the back. Silly place IMHO but it does seem to be quieter outside than others.. scares the dog though.

• Like Like x 1
  7. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Ours is in the bottom of the wardrobe. One vent blows into the loo compartment next door, the main vents are in the kitchen and a third runs in trunking to the front. The advantage of being in the wardrobe is it warms the bottom of it so useful for drying boots etc but it also means it warms any wine or beer kept above it!

• Like Like x 1
  8. ivorantony

ivorantony Funster

On my A class I fitted mine in the drivers door footwell, there was a mass of empty space there because there is no longer a door and just a false floor,
    perfect for the heater with just one vent going out behind the drivers seat, aimed at the lounge,
    if fitted correctly there is no discernible noise in the cabin and minimal noise outside,
    I used both a exhaust and inlet silencer and a flexible rubber mount for the electric pump to stop the ticking,
    works a treat and very economical with diesel ,
    I also made sure the exhaust was routed away from any drop vents to stop the likelihood of fumes inside the habitation unit,

9. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

So it doesn't blow into the bathroom?

10. ivorantony

ivorantony Funster

nope just into the lounge,
    we also have the normal truma blown air heater that does heat up the Shower/ toilet compartment when needed,
    we prefer minimal heat when sleeping and when I jump out of bed to make the missus her tea and toast I flick the eperbacher on to warm my bits before diving back into bed,;)
    time we have had our tea it lovely and warm to get up to, whatever the temperature is outside,

• Like Like x 1