Where is this drought area?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by laneside, Mar 5, 2012.

1. laneside

laneside Funster

Can anyone please confirm that there really such a place in Blighty?

We have lived in the wet, wet old Peninnes for most of our working life where somewhat over 60 inches of rainfall or more each year is the norm.

We have both gone rusty in our joint Lynda more so than I have so we are having a change.

Our bungalow is within the final throws of completion of sale and we are off for our gap year(s) that we never got as students.

Due to various reasons we cannot head abroad until after September so we were wondering if this Blighty desert is real or not.

If some one knows where it is please let us into the secret and either we will get some dry Joints or knowing our luck the rain will follow us and you will get the water you need:thumb::thumb::thumb:

2. icantremember

icantremember Funster

NORFOLK............but you would not believe it looking out the window today !!

3. beachcaster

beachcaster Read Only Funster

Its certainly here in sussex and kent.

Bewl water the largest reservoir in the SE is lower than I have ever seen it for 20 years........We rarely seem to get rain these days in the Eastbourne area...... And parts of the garden which would always be wet and drying out this time of year are dry as a bone.

The drought is a fact here.

barry

• Like Like x 1
  4. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

We are in the Witterings W Sussex and it deluged yesterday, all the fields around us are flooded what drought????:RollEyes:
    Sunny today though:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I was talking to my brother, who lives in Forest Row, on the phone on Saturday and he said they had just had their first rain for a long time. There are water restrictions in force there.

Maybe you need to get some water butts, Alan, and flog the water on eBay when they are full :Laughing:

• Like Like x 1
  6. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

Kent

They have started to take water from the River Medway in Kent to fill the reservoir at Bewl water... it is down to 40%

We had a lot of rain yesterday and all over night.... my own fish pond was well down .. we do not top it up as we use a meter... this is pond hold 12000 gallons and is 5' deep in places.

But Kent has been very dry this last year. Not warm, but dry.

Bob:cry:

7. taffybloke

taffybloke Funster

We have loads of water here. we can sell you some. How does £1.45 a litre sound :Eeek:

Mike

• Like Like x 2
  8. Soaringman

Soaringman Funster

Apparently here in Windermere, from October onwards, it rained 72 days out of 74 :cry: So dont live here. We have lived here for 10 years and have webbed feet. It is beautiful when dry though.:RollEyes:
    Today however it is a lovely crisp dry winters day:Cool:
    Go to Norfolk:thumb:

• Like Like x 4
  9. spannermanwigan

spannermanwigan Read Only Funster

Llandudno, North Wales seems to have its own Micro climate.
    Also nice area to Base for days out around Wales.

Regards
    Steve:thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  10. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Don't know which bit of Eastbourne you're talking about, but p1$$ed down yesterday here in St.Phillips area and the ditches etc in Shinewater park are bank high, and the ground is soggy and puddly.

• Like Like x 1
  11. jenny and mitch

jenny and mitch Funster

Suffolk is as dry as a boot, 10 weeks without a drop last year and apart from yesterday and today, its been dry for ages... Its downhill from your area to here, run us a hose down please.. The Welsh want us to buy it from them ! ! ! Nice eh.. Good luck drying your joints out, get on the "Chrondoitin and "Glucosamin" or fit a grease nipple to the offending joints...
    .Mitch.

• Like Like x 3
  12. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Weather!

I saw on the news over a week ago that the main drought area was around the south-east to the eastern parts of England and all in between. I have a friend in Kent and she said it was very dry where she is.

It is beautiful up here today in Dumfries and Galloway, crisp and sunny, just like yesterday. But we don't get the weather as cold nor snow that they get from the central belt upwards. We're relatively sheltered and benefit from the gulf stream.

I can almost see Simsy on the Isle of Man today, as it is so clear and bright:Laughing:

However, when the wind is a south-westerly it's batten down the hatches as we're only 500 yards from the sea and the house has been known to rattle when that happens!

I'll have a quick word with "Alex" and get him to send some water down to those in the drought areas, but it might cost you!!:Laughing:

Margaret

13. Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers Read Only Funster

No it's not, because you still have running rivers. The fact is not drought, the fact is bad water management.

• Like Like x 2
  14. sedge

sedge Funster

The Chondroitin does make a difference to the Glucosamine (which is good on it's own - think it has to be AT LEAST 1000mg a day to do anything according to the knee chap at our hopsital who Pete saw) but don't touch it with a barge-pole if you are allergic to shellfish !

Tesco's do an own brand G & C tablet which is labelled 'One a day' but for an effective dose you actually need to take em night and morning.

Grease nipple could work out cheaper ......

• Like Like x 2
  15. Jaygee32

Jaygee32 Read Only Funster

I agree there's no drought in Norfolk today, it's poured with rain all night and all day. all our water butts are full.

• Like Like x 1
  16. aba

aba

if you want grease nipples fitting i suppose Geo would give discount on fitting them for you :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Drew

Drew Funster

Water from the Medway:Eeek:

We used to swim in it at Teston when we were in our youth and it tasted foul, hope it is cleaner now.