dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
hopefully, and fingers crossed, she's having an amazing time in belle france..
but it's always just a little disconcerting when people haven't been in here for a while, especially when they're travelling alone..

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Funny enough we asked each other (here) the same question yesterday ,So if you are out there @JackieP ,hope you are having a safe ,great time

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
yodeli
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
I hope she knows she can get a free connection in all the Mac Donalds in France. If you don't like burgers, a salad or even an ice cream and a coffee will do the job!

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
I'm here! In McDonalds somewhere in Brittany!

It's been an interesting time for sure. Have travelled most of Brittany trying to find a garage to sort my radiator problems and ended up back in St Pol de Leon where I finally got it fixed (I hope) :)

I got myself in a right state I have to say and thought about going home so many times but as soon as the garage said the van was OK the clouds lifted and I calmed down.

I've pottered around most of Brittany and am now just outside Saint Brieuc having spent last night down by the river.

The weather has been very sunny but with a cooling wind - very pleasant and a million times better than home I'm sure.

I'm coping with the solitude. In fact I'm quite enjoying the peace. It's been a while since I spoke to anyone in English but I introduce myself to my French neighbours every stop (much to their amusement) and we usually have a bit of a conversation. I printed off Wikipedia pages in French about the Isle of Man and it's a good start point for a chat. I've also downloaded the Coffee Break French podcasts and every day I listen to one and incorporate some of the phrases on people I meet.

I'm heading slowly south east, only doing about 60kms a day and it suits me fine. When the van was playing up last week (again) I considered taking the boat to Spain but there was no space until the beginning of November and I'm quite glad really. I love France and the French people. I'm actually wondering if it would be warm enough for me to spend the winter on on Mediterranean coast, thats how much I love the place.

This has been so good for me. I've changed even in the six weeks from someone full of fear to someone who knows she is capable, strong and resilient. If i'd gone home will I was so frightened I would never have done anything ever again to challenge myself. I would never have known what I'm capable of.

So, thanks again for your good wishes. Do not worry if you do not hear from me. I don't stumble across wifi very often and, should something hellish happen to me Bill has instructions to let you all know.

Twenty minutes till the lunch time rush. Do I make a dash for it before the hordes arrive or do I sit tight until it's all over. The decisions I have to make. :)

à bientôt, a tout à l'heure

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
By the looks things your doing just fine,enjoy your self and most of all enjoy your trveling,regards Alf and M

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Good to hear from you Jackie but sorry to hear you have had more problems. Life is never dull or easy for you but you've coped ...all credit to you.
Take each day as it comes and enjoy your "journey":)

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
<snip>

This has been so good for me. I've changed even in the six weeks from someone full of fear to someone who knows she is capable, strong and resilient. If i'd gone home will I was so frightened I would never have done anything ever again to challenge myself. I would never have known what I'm capable of.

Excellent attitude - great to hear you're enjoying yourself(y)

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Jackie,
Here's a couple of suggestions on nice aires,
Bourg Blanc nice lakeside aire
20 Rue de la Libération
29860 Bourg-Blanc, France
48.491872, -4.503148
short walk around lake to the town.
Lampaul Plouarzel nice beachside aire 4 euros
free wifi , laundry facilities , showers etc
513 B Rue de Beg ar Vir
29810 Lampaul-Plouarzel, France
48.446950, -4.777242both of these we were at early sept
Have a great time Terry & Ann

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Jackie, glad you are keeping a PMA about things! Regarding speaking French, we use a free App called Duolingo which, once you have downloaded it, does not require online access. It is an interactive App that requires you to write, read, listen and speak. As it is offline you can while away the hours whenever you like.

presto

Free Member
Jul 3, 2010
n Ireland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 1990
Good to hear your safe and well Jackie we wish you God speed.We kept checking for you and when we couldn't see any posts we realised its tricky getting Wi Fi.Keep chatting to your neighbours we loved it in Morocco when you were our neighbour.We will be looking out for your progress wherever your travels bring you.:)

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Nice to know you're doing ok Jackie, rumble on and enjoy. The 'rock' is bathed in sunshine for a change.

Craig

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Glad to hear all is well (ish). Pain about van but hopefully all sorted now. Also love France but currently in Seville heading coast ward tomorrow. Keep visiting McDonald's and updating us on your travels.

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Hello all.

Here I am just west of Bordeaux in Saint Jean D'illac currently in the house of Ronald McDonald prostituting myself over a cup of tea.

The ring road around Bordeaux was interesting. When I think of the person I was when I set off and what I was capable of to the person today coping with six lanes, two massive bridges, a million lorries and roadworks, I think I've not done too bad.

Last night I stayed in the village of Marsas. The aire was in a dusty car park by the side of a busy road, it was late and I didn't want to go any further and was just thinking I would have to make the best of it when the lady Mayor turned up at my door and asked if I'd like to stay in front of the Marie. Just one of the many kindnesses I've come across while being on the road.

I've calmed down a lot about the driving. My fears about the van breaking down have gone and I'm actually starting to enjoy being on the road and all situations are only challenges thrown my way to give me the skills to deal with them the next time they come around.

I had my first conversation in English yesterday for three weeks! I introduced myself to a British couple who had stopped like me in a car park to make some lunch. It was only for a few moments but it did me the world of good. I'm actually enjoying the solitude. It's giving me time just for me with no distractions and I'm learning lot about myself.

And now I'm working out what's next. I don't really want tot make the autoroute down into Spain as, frankly, I don't want to leave France just yet. The weather is good and I could do with somewhere to stop for a rest for a day or two so I'm thinking about visiting the west coast and travelling south from there. I've made a thread to ask if there will be other people there.

I had a hellish situation last week on an aire where I was with two other vans and they left late at night. The street lights went off and some young men arrived and started banging on the van. I got spooked and drove up onto the main road and parked there but they followed me and when I looked out of the window they were putting lighted branches under the van. It's probably the scariest thing I've ever had to deal with. There was no-one about and so I just threw the bed up, checked out the nearest aire on the sat nav, jumped into the seat and drove. I didn't turn the gas off or get the step in, I just drove and I arrived in the next village at midnight and parked up next to another van. The next morning when I was light i saw greasy smoky handprints all over the windows and sides where they had been banging. In all the years we've travelled we've never had any trouble like that and it's left me very spooked although, I do keep telling myself that it was an isolated incident. And you know what? I dealt with it. I drove and got away and just knowing that I coped taught me a lot. So, company for me from now on. Phew.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
What a horrible incident! Saying that sort of thing isn't common probably doesn't help. I can only suggest trying to think if there was anything about the aire which might have hinted at possible trouble. That two MHs left late isn't normal in my limited experience. Did they know something?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
That wouldn't happen on a busy well reviewed Aire....

An isolated incident, you were just unlucky...I appreciate your on a tight budget, but you maybe more circumspect as to where you overnight..above all have fun and well done!:)

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
I've no idea. I was in bed when they left and hadn't talked to them. The lights went out at ten and I was pitch black. I kept telling myself it would be ok but sadly it wasn't. The aire is in the book and it felt very safe and calm - until
The young ones arrived. I have to think o it as an isolated incident.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
What a spirit, go girl and enjoy !
Likely an isolated incident but must have been scarey.
BTW unless on a proper site I would always retract step at night.
Hope that's the last of that sort of incident.
Bon Voyage !

OP
OP
yodeli
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
I've no idea. I was in bed when they left and hadn't talked to them. The lights went out at ten and I was pitch black. I kept telling myself it would be ok but sadly it wasn't. The aire is in the book and it felt very safe and calm - until
The young ones arrived. I have to think o it as an isolated incident.

To be very honest, I don't know if I would have cope with this sort of "incident"! I guess I would have called the police straight away, would deffo have driven away, but would I be feeling safe after that ...mmmmm... not sure at all!
Just in case you were planning to go through Toulouse, I won't be home on the 30th of October, and will be away in Max (if no snow)with sister-in-law on the 14th and 15th of November.

Amicalement

Frankie;)

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
BTW unless on a proper site I would always retract step at night.

I've never been sure what to do about the step. Is it better if roaming juveniles think there is no-one at home?

Frankie, what can I do? All I can do is put it behind me. As before, Bill and I travelled for ten years and never once felt unsafe. All I can do is think of those thousand of stops against one bad one.

And, I now know I can drive at night! Who would have known. :)

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
That wouldn't happen on a busy well reviewed Aire....

An isolated incident, you were just unlucky...I appreciate your on a tight budget, but you maybe more circumspect as to where you overnight..above all have fun and well done!:)

I thought that one from the book, well lit and with other people there would have been safe. Circumstances changed. I promise you that I would not stay somewhere where I did not feel safe.

Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006
It was only for a few moments but it did me the world of good. I'm actually enjoying the solitude. It's giving me time just for me with no distractions and I'm learning lot about myself.

And now I'm working out what's next.

Well done Jackie, it's inevitable that you'll come across issues but that's part of what makes things memorable. Sounds to me like your adventures have the making of a really good book.

Cheers
Alan

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
If you come down through Portugal, consider a visit to QMJ...

It is...

Peaceful, calm, safe, scented with eucalyptus and pine and wild mint.

Free.

Perfect for rear wheel driven, Funster vans (and others if it is dry...)

JJ :cool:
Where is QMJ? I am intrigued.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back