Where in Wales? (1 Viewer)

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
The wife has asked if we could do a 2 week tour around Wales end of July beginning of August, only stopping for a night or two on sites or wild camping.
Should we go south to north, north to south or through the middle?
We tend to enjoy good beach walks, peace and quiet, small towns & stunning scenery. Things we don't need to see are big towns.
Any help with any of the above will be much appreciated.:thumb:

:Smile:Rob&Jane:Smile:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Head as far West as you can go if you want the best beaches and coast line Rob.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Why not start at the North of God's country and work your way down the coast. Make sure to take in the Pembroke coast. We've got plenty of beaches. Lots of mountains and valleys for you to while away the nights. If you liked the Prisoner you could take in the village at Port Meirion. The list is endless, you wont get back to London for at least two months.:roflmto:

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Rob & Jane, You will love the Gower, try 3 cliffs bay c/site £ 25 a night not cheap but well worth it steep walk down and back to the beach but well worth the struggle. Also Rhossilli well worth a visit.
Terry:sin:

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
We did a similar holiday last summer. We started at Llanbrynmair CC site (£11 per night inc. EHU) and stayed 2 nights, visiting Aberdovey & Aberystwyth. Then to C&CC site at Cardigan (not exactly Cardigan, more like Newquay where we spent an afternoon dolphin watching) for 3 nights. Then to CC site at Pembrey Country Park. Beautiful site right on edge of park which is great for walking, biking, kiting, kite surfing etc with 8 miles of golden sand for 3 nights. Then onto Aberbran CC site (another £11 per night site) 4 miles from Brecon, lovely small town with lots to see for 2 nights and then to Wenlock Edge CC site (another £11 per night site) for 2 nights, again a lovely little town with lots of history. Hay-on-Wye is a town not to miss en-route. We had to miss out St.Davids as both CC and C&CC sites were full.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
All good suggestions but I am shamelessly biased.

Try googling Tenby, Saundersfoot, Amroth, Wisemans Bridge, Freshwater East, Freshwater West, Broad Haven (South Pembrokeshire), Barafundel Bay.

::bigsmile:

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
See what I mean Rob? You ain't never ever gonna get home!:ROFLMAO:

I really would like to take issue with the biased one above,:winky: but he does mention some very good (nay brilliant) places to visit.:thumb:

Last edited:
OP
OP
ROB1CHELSEA1
Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
Just looked at a few places you all suggested and that is just what we are looking for:thumb: gonna head far west and make our way up the coastline then drop down the middle at a leisurely pace heading for Brecon as i've heard there are some must see waterfalls there:thumb:
Thank all

Rob&Jane

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Rob, the Brecon Jazz festival is on at the beginning of August (if you're in to that). You'll have to Google the dates.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
west is best from Gower around to St Davids, to Cardigan up to bartmouth and Aberdovey, portmierion and llyn peninsular

Attachments

• bara.jpg
    bara.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 24
  • west.jpg
    west.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 24

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
You can stay overnight for free in Brecon in car park by Theatre In fact you can stay overnight in any Powys Council car park for one night in seven between the hours of 18.00 and 08.00 and even then it's only £2/£2.50 to park in the daytime. The parking attendant told us the council is actively encouraging motorhomers to visit.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
now yuu have the opposite problem...too many places to go!!

my bias is north west coast from aberdovey upto harlech (having been dragged up round them there parts)- and dont miss the Mawddach estuary...stunning in any weather and at any time of the year...

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
On the edge of wales
"The Axe & Compass" at Much Marcle could be a good starting point £7.00/night foods good too.

local town Rhos on Wye also worth a visit as is Usk.

Roger & Sheila.:Smile:::bigsmile:

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
fantastic little site at Cae Du
http://www.cabbagemedia.com/campsit...sllefain-tywyn-gwynedd-ll36-9nd-01654-711234/

only minor down side is the railway - but the services are fairly infrequent every hour or two and not too much of a problem noise wise as they do go slow!!

but on a sunny evening with beer in hand...its stunning view across the bay...not stayed there myself but have been to it a few time to go climbing on the cliffs nearby (in my youth I hasten to add!) and grew up 3 miles up the coast in llwyngwril so can vouch for the scenic view::bigsmile:

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
You can stay overnight for free in Brecon in car park by Theatre In fact you can stay overnight in any Powys Council car park for one night in seven between the hours of 18.00 and 08.00 and even then it's only £2/£2.50 to park in the daytime. The parking attendant told us the council is actively encouraging motorhomers to visit.

unfortunately its only free in Brecknockshire & Radnorshire( southern end) car parks but there is a £5 charge in Montgomeryshire car parks over 3t for some reason

http://www.ukmotorhomes.net/uk-motorhome-stopovers.shtml

just realised it may not apply to Rob & Jane given the size of the Rio:thumb:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We went to Wales a couple of years ago for a fortnight and did see half of what we planned to see and no we weren't touring at night time:ROFLMAO:.

We started off at Holywell in the north for a night with some friends, didn't get far next day as we (Lorraine and Sophie) decided to go into Chester and then headed towards Wrexham where we stayed at a lovely wee pub the Griffin for £10 with EHU and lovely food. We then headed over towards Aberystwyth and stayed at a site over looking the town and about 20 mins walk. We thought it was a lovely place visited the camera obscura and did a lovely walk from there to a bay about 1 hour away with a large static site and lovely beech.

After a couple of days we headed for Brecon to spend a few days with more friends and before we knew it it was home time.

If you have a look at my photo album you will see some pics from this trip.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
If you go from north to south you'll be facing the sunshine - that was my logic when I hiked the Pembrokeshire Coast Path many moons ago.

Far too many great places to mention, but don't miss the Lleyn between Aberdaron and Abersoch, Porthmeirion, Harlech Castle, the Mawddach Cycle Trail between Barmouth and Dolgellau, the Tal-y-Llyn steam railway, Aberaeron, and the whole of Pembrokeshire including Skomer Island. Plenty of cheap basic campsites behind Black Rock Sands near Porthmadog as a base for touring Snowdonia, and one of my favourites for exploring the Pembrokeshire Coast is the campsite behind the beach at Newgale, which was £7 a head per night last summer.

Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
The wife has asked if we could do a 2 week tour around Wales end of July beginning of August, only stopping for a night or two on sites or wild camping.
Should we go south to north, north to south or through the middle?
We tend to enjoy good beach walks, peace and quiet, small towns & stunning scenery. Things we don't need to see are big towns.
Any help with any of the above will be much appreciated.:thumb:

:Smile:Rob&Jane:Smile:
North wales for me ( but only because i have yet to explore ther rest) Conwy is well worth a visit. Bodnant gardens close by is also worth a visit and I think there is a site there too. Llandudno has bit of everything, nice beach promenade theatre. The great Orme is nice for walking or if you wanted something bigger, and fancy a challenge,
Snowdon is not far away. Or you could take the easy option like I did !!:winky:Inland i recommend Llangollen, Bedgellert and Betws y coed . Wonderfull cant wait to go again :thumb: Have a lovely holiday wherever you decide to go:Smile:

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Try to see the Lynne Brianne reservoir and drive round the common, wild camping up there too in a very quiet car park :Smile:

petrol tin glyn

Free Member
Jun 29, 2012
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
autotrail cheiftain
Exp
since 2006
:thumb: if the weather's nice you won't beat it: , and don't forget your fishing .rod ,and a bonus when you go home over the seven bridge just mention my name and don't have to pay :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back