Where has your SatNav sent you? (1 Viewer)

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Oh yes. Down a French lane that turned into a track that stopped in middle of a field. Couldn't reverse all the way out on my own. Farmer told me to go on, would turn to bitumen road in 200 metres. He forgot to tell me about the low trees round the bend. That night it rained inside my motorhome. Branch had pulled the TV aerial out of place.
And I still can't bear to think of the single track lane to Berry Head.
Sat nav set to even bigger vehicle than mine and still it thought that was a good idea......

LAM

Apr 23, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 Welcome
Exp
Began with the purchase of our first, ever MH in 2014
Under a bridge in Rouen which was far too low for the MH !
Noticed all the red and white cones placed in the grass verge of that lovely house you passed, maybe they see quite a lot of misdirected traffic :Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
We have all done it small at first but not too bad then oops.
Its diferent if that is your first view you can ignor the sat.
There it looked small but OK ish
But I have delivered flowers in artics to worse places.
Al least you see rural France.
Looked a nice place to overnight.
Nice dashcam pictures what make is it.

Mel

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
I was talking about this on here a couple of weeks ago. Our Garmin, regardless of settings, insists on trying to send us down very narrow roads. We only use it when we get into the town we are heading for and to find the Aire or campsite. Ordinary maps are not much use in that situation. It's the cheapest Nuvi so it has very few settings. It also had a brainstorm in LeHavre and it took us two hours to get out of the city. Someone asked us what we would do if we didn't have a SatNav in that 'use your common sense' kind of way. That's like asking what you would do if you didn't have a motorhome. If you've got one you expect it to work efficiently or it's not fit for purpose. Lesson learned - we obviously need a vehicle size setting - so I bought a Chinese one :wink: Will report back after our next trip.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
On the way to Les Deux Alpes it said to turn right toward the campsite.....I then noticed the 6'6" width sign. A little too far up the "road" for comfort. A French car pulled up behind shouting " non non". Obviously we had already realised that we were never going to get any further. My lovely husband performed the most amazing 10 point turn using a very small side lane to reverse into. Amazing stuff...albeit a few sweaty moments and some choice words. So if anyone is going to Champs Du Moulin at any time......do not turn right half way up the mountain !!!!!!!!

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
I don't beleave what it says most of the time! And shout back you are fu-king joking, But last year in Aachen it saved me a €100 fine,

I knew were I needed to go but it meant driving on a bus only route for 50 yds, and bugger me just as soon as I started a police woman stepped out of a shop doorway and flagged me down,:cry:
So I blamed it on the sat nag totally and she let me off(y)
I do love a woman in uniform:p

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Interesting question, but is it always the satnavs fault. How any times have people misinterpreted the instruction, "turn right in 50 mtrs" by taking the first available right turn, into someones driveway.

I have on occasion thought, "what does she mean, this one or the next" and ignored her, only to find put she was right all along but usually if I don't like the look of road I don't go down it because the suggestion quite often is a shortcut. I am waiting for Mrs Garmin to say, "You never listen to me anymore, I really don't know I bother"

Seriously though, I wouldn't be without it, I can count the number of times she gave us a bum steer on one hand and that's doing four months a year in France and Germany.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I had a momentary lapse near Florence, and actually listened to my sat nav, I will dig out the video in a bit.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
A no entry,a footpath and a lane with a 3.5t limit even though it is set for 5t and large dimensions which it does remind me of if going above the speed limit for that size of vehicle.:mad:

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
The old eBay Chinese satnav has never done anything bad to us and always been accurate,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and as long as you can put up with the infernal (but funny) broken English nattering you will get along fine.

She has plevented us (sevelal times) going to low blidges, weight rimits and going down velly nallow loads. Never sent us to a vineyard either - which is unfortunate.:cry:

Trikeman. ;)

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
I use a snooper in the Rv so far never sent me wrong the ones fitted in our cars Mmmmmmmm that's a whole different story spent may be as much time ignoring them as taking notice, they all should be treated as an aid not gospel, but as already said if the road disappears after you have been on it a couple of miles its a real pain.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
The Russian bird going on about none existent scammeras gets on my nerves but one day there will be one tucked away somewhere.

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Our Garmin was great but Mrs T our Tom Tom does some silly moves and stupid shortcuts and once nearly sent us onto a green on a golfcourse . Now we plan our trip more or less ourselves and only ask her in the end ....so far so good .

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Under a bridge in Rouen which was far too low for the MH !
Noticed all the red and white cones placed in the grass verge of that lovely house you passed, maybe they see quite a lot of misdirected traffic :Eeek:

Yes ours did that! Luckily stopped short of hitting it! That was before we swapped our Garmin for a Chinese Trucker satnav. (or maybe WHY we swapped it:D)

Wyn

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Am I the only person who checks the route the satnag wants me to take before we set off? The one that was built in to the last car was out of date and I was too mean to pay for the update which meant I always checked the map prior to setting off and en-route. Although they are a great aid I don't really trust them :)

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Am I the only person who checks the route the satnag wants me to take before we set off? The one that was built in to the last car was out of date and I was too mean to pay for the update which meant I always checked the map prior to setting off and en-route. Although they are a great aid I don't really trust them :)

No

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Mine has taken me up many beautiful country lanes which lead to closed farmers' gates where I can ponder the wonders of reversing down said winding lanes with no-one to guide me .... I last sat on a layby with torrential rain lashing down on the roof and told the woman in there that I was going to throw her under the next passing lorry, drown her or smash her to pieces with a hammer... The strange thing is that when I re-started my journey she never said a word and I had to take her to Halfords to get her voice back ... :( ...

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins

Nope.......funny though I can trust the wife's navigation..........not many men would admit that........but it's true (y)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Nope.......funny though I can trust the wife's navigation..........not many men would admit that........but it's true (y)

I usually do the navigation - always loved maps and have been known to buy old and out of date OS maps in second hand shops! I always enjoyed the map questions on the old "O" level papers, easy marks as far as I was concerned!

Ethle the wondervan

Free Member
Mar 13, 2015
Peak District
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
One year

Same here! Wife is a brilliant nagivator!
Never had a satnav or a cell phone, never been lost! (San Diego was a struggle tho'..... But we were not lost, we were NOT)
Use maps and enjoy the freedom of discovery!

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Our 'Hong Kong Fuee' special sent us on a 'fastest' route from the Southbound M5 to the Balloon Festival..............Via the centre of Bristol at lunchtime. :Eeek::Eeek:

Idiot machine! And idiot me for following it. :mad:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back