Where has your SatNav sent you?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by KeithChesterfield, Aug 28, 2015.

1. KeithChesterfield

KeithChesterfield Funster

In France a few weeks ago our CoPilot Sat Nav app sent us on to a road that quickly reduced in size to become a cart track.

Has your Sat Nav directed you into places you'd rather not have been?

To see the Video 'SatNav – are you sure this is the best way?' go to - www.youtube.com/user/Keithchesterfield

2. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

Oh yes. Down a French lane that turned into a track that stopped in middle of a field. Couldn't reverse all the way out on my own. Farmer told me to go on, would turn to bitumen road in 200 metres. He forgot to tell me about the low trees round the bend. That night it rained inside my motorhome. Branch had pulled the TV aerial out of place.
    And I still can't bear to think of the single track lane to Berry Head.
    Sat nav set to even bigger vehicle than mine and still it thought that was a good idea......

• Like Like x 2
  3. LAM

LAM Funster

Under a bridge in Rouen which was far too low for the MH !
    Noticed all the red and white cones placed in the grass verge of that lovely house you passed, maybe they see quite a lot of misdirected traffic :Eeek:

• Like Like x 1
  4. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

It's tried,but Carolyn has map on her lap just to check things like that.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Mel

Mel Funster

We have all done it small at first but not too bad then oops.
    Its diferent if that is your first view you can ignor the sat.
    There it looked small but OK ish
    But I have delivered flowers in artics to worse places.
    Al least you see rural France.
    Looked a nice place to overnight.
    Nice dashcam pictures what make is it.

Mel

6. Mags52

Mags52 Funster

I was talking about this on here a couple of weeks ago. Our Garmin, regardless of settings, insists on trying to send us down very narrow roads. We only use it when we get into the town we are heading for and to find the Aire or campsite. Ordinary maps are not much use in that situation. It's the cheapest Nuvi so it has very few settings. It also had a brainstorm in LeHavre and it took us two hours to get out of the city. Someone asked us what we would do if we didn't have a SatNav in that 'use your common sense' kind of way. That's like asking what you would do if you didn't have a motorhome. If you've got one you expect it to work efficiently or it's not fit for purpose. Lesson learned - we obviously need a vehicle size setting - so I bought a Chinese one :wink: Will report back after our next trip.

• Like Like x 1
  7. chaser

chaser Funster

Ours sent us down the back road into port issac:Eeek:

• Like Like x 2
  8. MichelleRyall

MichelleRyall Funster

On the way to Les Deux Alpes it said to turn right toward the campsite.....I then noticed the 6'6" width sign. A little too far up the "road" for comfort. A French car pulled up behind shouting " non non". Obviously we had already realised that we were never going to get any further. My lovely husband performed the most amazing 10 point turn using a very small side lane to reverse into. Amazing stuff...albeit a few sweaty moments and some choice words. So if anyone is going to Champs Du Moulin at any time......do not turn right half way up the mountain !!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. kip

kip Funster

Into some nice french persons back garden in the mid pyrenees :whistle: didn't stay for lunch!

• Like Like x 3
  10. davanne

davanne Funster

Our old Tom tom took,us through a vineyard in Germany:Eeek:

• Like Like x 2
  11. ivorantony

ivorantony Funster

I don't beleave what it says most of the time! And shout back you are fu-king joking, But last year in Aachen it saved me a €100 fine,

I knew were I needed to go but it meant driving on a bus only route for 50 yds, and bugger me just as soon as I started a police woman stepped out of a shop doorway and flagged me down,:cry:
    So I blamed it on the sat nag totally and she let me off(y)
    I do love a woman in uniform:p

• Like Like x 4
  12. iandsm

iandsm Funster

Interesting question, but is it always the satnavs fault. How any times have people misinterpreted the instruction, "turn right in 50 mtrs" by taking the first available right turn, into someones driveway.

I have on occasion thought, "what does she mean, this one or the next" and ignored her, only to find put she was right all along but usually if I don't like the look of road I don't go down it because the suggestion quite often is a shortcut. I am waiting for Mrs Garmin to say, "You never listen to me anymore, I really don't know I bother"

Seriously though, I wouldn't be without it, I can count the number of times she gave us a bum steer on one hand and that's doing four months a year in France and Germany.

13. GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer Funster

Back in Sarfend for a while, then back to RSA.
    My Garmin has never sent me anywhere. I decide what roads to take not my sat nav.

It's an aid for goodness sake, it's not against the law to ignore it and use your noddle/map/common sense.:)

• Like Like x 3
  14. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

I had a momentary lapse near Florence, and actually listened to my sat nav, I will dig out the video in a bit.

15. bigtree

bigtree Funster

A no entry,a footpath and a lane with a 3.5t limit even though it is set for 5t and large dimensions which it does remind me of if going above the speed limit for that size of vehicle.:mad:

16. Trikeman

Trikeman Read Only Funster

The old eBay Chinese satnav has never done anything bad to us and always been accurate,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and as long as you can put up with the infernal (but funny) broken English nattering you will get along fine.

She has plevented us (sevelal times) going to low blidges, weight rimits and going down velly nallow loads. Never sent us to a vineyard either - which is unfortunate.:cry:

Trikeman. ;)

• Like Like x 3
  17. motor roamin

motor roamin Funster

I use a snooper in the Rv so far never sent me wrong the ones fitted in our cars Mmmmmmmm that's a whole different story spent may be as much time ignoring them as taking notice, they all should be treated as an aid not gospel, but as already said if the road disappears after you have been on it a couple of miles its a real pain.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Badknee

Badknee Funster

The Russian bird going on about none existent scammeras gets on my nerves but one day there will be one tucked away somewhere.

• Like Like x 1
  19. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

OK, as promised, this is us taking a totally inappropriate road up to Fiorenze. We discovered after taking the bus, there was a much bigger road not far away! :D

• Like Like x 3
  20. Cobweb

Cobweb

Our Garmin was great but Mrs T our Tom Tom does some silly moves and stupid shortcuts and once nearly sent us onto a green on a golfcourse . Now we plan our trip more or less ourselves and only ask her in the end ....so far so good .