Where has all the fresh milk gone in France ? (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Cant get on with long life milk. never had a problem getting proper milk anywhere in France,,,,,except LIDLE,,, BUSBY,,,

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
All the supermarkets have fresh milk in chill cabinets - usually at the end of an aisle nowhere near the UHT stuff, usually end of yoghurt/butter/cheese aisles.
BUT always check the sell by date. They rarely put them in the order of freshest at the back and it's so easy to reach to the back without checking and then find it was the oldest. Also watch out you don't pick up the Bio ones next door they look pretty much the same but cost more.
Unless of course you think Bio is better.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
We use fresh semi-skimmed in the UK. I'm equally happy with the full-fat version, but OH prefers the semi-skimmed & believes it's healthier. Not entirely convinced, but as I only get through about half a pint a day in tea & coffee, it doesn't make much difference to me either way.

While we were swanning around northern Europe for six weeks with limited fridge space & finding some difficulties here & there finding any fresh just when we wanted it, we thought we'd better give the UHT a try. It would certainly be more convenient & easier to source. We were touring for four days, then stopping in one place for four nights while I worked & having to do an evening shopping run with the van was a nuisance. Comments on here suggested that the flavour was much improved in recent years.

We persevered for a few days, but eventually threw the rest of it away & did a priority shop for some more fresh!

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
we had difficulties finding fresh milk, and th4e site shop on the first site we went to only had a delivery of fresh every couple of days. bought some uht stuff and was pleasantly surprised. only use a splash in my coffee though so not a lot of it to taste. still went back to fresh when it was available.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Probably depends what you do with the milk. I only have a splash of skimmed in my tea, if blindfolded I probably wouldn't know whether it was there or not. Never eat breakfast cereals, just empty calories, breakfast should consist of eggs bacon sausage black pudding etc or just for variety kippers.

Huwmari

Free Member
Jul 26, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
since Apr 2013
:confused:Lived in France from 2002-06 and never bothered with anything other than UHT. As someone else said you can buy it in multipacks, keeps for ages unrefrigerated - perfect for mohomers - and (unless you're a "full cream" addict), really doesn't taste that different. Without wishing to offend, why is it we Brits are so pedantic about certain foodstuffs when travelling abroad? I knew some expats over there who received regular red cross parcels of various "Brit" foodstuffs????? Amazing!!!!!
My sentiments too. When in Rome .....

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Probably depends what you do with the milk. I only have a splash of skimmed in my tea, if blindfolded I probably wouldn't know whether it was there or not. Never eat breakfast cereals, just empty calories, breakfast should consist of eggs bacon sausage black pudding etc or just for variety kippers.

Mind you I like my continental brekky, but when JJ is around I like to let him cook an English breakfast... but then he calls me miss piggy... not a suitable name for a froggy

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I sometimes have a continental breakfast my way when in France. A nice length of fresh baguette filled with eggs bacon sausage black pudding etc.
Certain things I could never face first thing in the morning and they tend to be the things the French like for breakfast ie sweet stuff.
Also why do the French cafes charge a fortune for a bit of bread and jam when a full English in U.K. or Spain usually costs less.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
When we were full timing we gave up looking for milk in the first year. We drank black tea or coffee with about as much cold water as you would put milk in the cup. Dried milk made good porridge etc. You know the old saying "what colours tea. Milk"

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I would hazard a guess it's against eu rules:( would be here
unfortunately, an incorrect guess. There are no specific controls for RDM ( raw drinking milk) in EU legislation.
Selling of RDM is banned in Scotland though where domestic not EU regulations prohibit the sale

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
The holiday makers take it all. We use long life as it is trail to the nearest shop. (When in France). Or on Friday we go to the milking parlour and buy straight from the cow.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back