Where has all the fresh milk gone in France ? (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We use to have UHT for years and years as it was more convenient but eventually, about 3/4 years ago, changed over to fresh semi-skimmed instead and now prefer it, however when away we go back to using UHT as it's a lot more palatable than it used to be ... made the mistake once of getting UHT skimmed by accident ... now that is like drinking water with white colouring in!

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
True, and that's from someone brought up on milk direct from the cow;):)
we used to get all our milk direct from the farm out of the cooler in the milking parlor, i used to do holiday cover, farm now sadly no longer producing milk,but the best milk ever.

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
Pardon me if this is a stupid question (I'm only a bloke after all), but how long does this long life milk last once opened if it's not refrigerated?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Pardon me if this is a stupid question (I'm only a bloke after all), but how long does this long life milk last once opened if it's not refrigerated?
Can't answer that one, once opened it needs to be refrigerated when it will certainly last several days in our experience. Without refrigeration I wouldn't trust it beyond a day, depending on the temperature of course.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Looked in the chiller/cooler cabinet first and even asked but was told no fresh & directed to the UHT which I usually can't stand but this seems to be ok.
Tried Lidl & intermarche but non of the others. Will have to stop at a Carrefour sometime.

Super U usually have it as well.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Once opened treat it the same as you would fresh milk.

Its not a daft question though ... it took me ages to convince hubby that just because it has a long date on it (eg a month later), once its opened it won't last until that date!

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Silly person!
It is August and all the cows and farmers have gone on holiday to the south coast.
Did you not see them herding all the way down the Autoroute de sol.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
My cook/housekeeper tried to convince me that UHT is so good now that I wouldn't be able to taste the difference. Rubbish I thought, because that stuff I used to get at a motorway Cafe was so bad that I started drinking my coffee and Tea without the stuff.

images

I have to hand it to the Old Girl, she was right I can no longer taste the difference.

We will have several Cartons in the motorhome before we travel to Brest in September.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
My cook/housekeeper tried to convince me that UHT is so good now that I wouldn't be able to taste the difference. Rubbish I thought, because that stuff I used to get at a motorway Cafe was so bad that I started drinking my coffee and Tea without the stuff.

images

I have to hand it to the Old Girl, she was right I can no longer taste the difference.

We will have several Cartons in the motorhome before we travel to Brest in September.

Hi Paul/Griff, we hope to avoid you ,sorry that should read - we hope to see you at twin lakes, but we will only be there a night or two on the 8th. Glad to make your day !!!

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Local Leclercs sell full fat Lait Cru in a 1 litre plastic bag - Di makes paneer with it - but that's not as handy as this machine.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If you like your milk unpasteurised, straight from the farm, then head to Azay Le Rideau. In the car park at Carrefour is a vending unit where you can choose the size of bottle, put your money in, and a bottle of milk is presented.
View attachment 118987
Compleatly off topic and flame me if you must , but seeing this last post reminds me of a France passion stop there, it's a huge museum full of old machines, loads in there working clothes, and you can stay on the car park, no need to be a fp member just park up.(y):)

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
She said she,d like to bathe in milk, he said alright sweetheart, that afternoon at half past four he loaded up his cart. He said do want it pasturised cos pasturised is best, she said Ernie il be happy if it comes up to me chest. That tickled old Ernie.
Phi il, and he drove the fastest MH in the East

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014

Are you sure that's not more to do with the aging process killing off the tastebuds? ;) :LOL:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Never has been a lot, but we find the long life stuff ok, can't tell the difference to be honest, and it's far more convenient no need to take up space in your fridge and you can buy a load at once and just keep it in a cupboard till opened, we in fact buy in France and leave it in the Van and then even use it in the uk.

Same here

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
When we go to France we have a large milk in the fridge and
put one in the freezer.It just about lasts us.But we only go for
a fortnight at a time.We did find some fresh milk when we were
in Provence at Easter in a supermarket,but they are few and
far between!:eek:

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
We've never had a problem all the large supermarket's keep it in the cool cabinet , no where near the milk section. Any probe finding , just ask!!!

Cilfan

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
Flint North Wales
Funster No
MH
Desperately Seeking
Exp
Devout Wannabe
:confused:Lived in France from 2002-06 and never bothered with anything other than UHT. As someone else said you can buy it in multipacks, keeps for ages unrefrigerated - perfect for mohomers - and (unless you're a "full cream" addict), really doesn't taste that different. Without wishing to offend, why is it we Brits are so pedantic about certain foodstuffs when travelling abroad? I knew some expats over there who received regular red cross parcels of various "Brit" foodstuffs????? Amazing!!!!!

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
We live in France for 6 months of the year. We buy longlife milk a dozen at a time, as our nearest shop is a few miles away. BUT on Friday evening we can buy milk straight from the cow at our local farm. The milk goes from the milking parlour to a very large stainless container. The farmer has a t piece on the pipe, it diverts the milk to a 5 gallon plastic tub with a tap on it. We take our own plastic bottles, and lo and behold proper milk like it used to be, still warm.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We live in France for 6 months of the year. We buy longlife milk a dozen at a time, as our nearest shop is a few miles away. BUT on Friday evening we can buy milk straight from the cow at our local farm. The milk goes from the milking parlour to a very large stainless container. The farmer has a t piece on the pipe, it diverts the milk to a 5 gallon plastic tub with a tap on it. We take our own plastic bottles, and lo and behold proper milk like it used to be, still warm.
I would hazard a guess it's against eu rules:( would be here

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
The French only get away with it because it is not called un-past-your-eyes but lait cru.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
:confused:Lived in France from 2002-06 and never bothered with anything other than UHT. As someone else said you can buy it in multipacks, keeps for ages unrefrigerated - perfect for mohomers - and (unless you're a "full cream" addict), really doesn't taste that different. Without wishing to offend, why is it we Brits are so pedantic about certain foodstuffs when travelling abroad? I knew some expats over there who received regular red cross parcels of various "Brit" foodstuffs????? Amazing!!!!!
I think part of the problem is they don't try it , just think it's like the sterilised stuff we used to have here, but for everyday in yer tea not a jot of difference than semi skimmed (y):)

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Good grief - you can buy proper milk anywhere in France and have been able to for donkey's years - at least 70 that I can vouch for personally :rolleyes:

Reactions: JJ

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
I think part of the problem is they don't try it , just think it's like the sterilised stuff we used to have here, but for everyday in yer tea not a jot of difference than semi skimmed (y):)
use whole milk uht .

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Never had a problem finding it in France always carry some UHT as well, we don't notice the difference these days.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We have only skimmed milk at home so I can't tell the difference when we use uht in France. Its certainly convenient.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back