Where do you keep your dog when..........

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by ABZSteve, Apr 17, 2014.

1. ABZSteve

ABZSteve Funster

Parked up?

During our trip we noticed that the majority of Motorhomes and Caravans had one, two and even three additional residents i.e. dogs. One dog was left outside caged up inside a pup tent most of the day when not being walked and all night. I didn't see anyone else do this so I am guessing that isn't the norm. My wife was close to tears, poor dog :Sad:

Where does yours stay/sleep?

2. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

ours has free run of the motorhome, is often outside with us and is never left for hours on end.

we got the motorhome so the dog could come on holiday with us, I dont believe in putting pets into kennels

Our dog will sleep wherever she fancies it, either in her basket, on the settee or on the captain chair

• Like Like x 11
  3. gordoncbrown

gordoncbrown Funster

Pretty much the same for us. Although we do try to discourage them from the seats but usually lose out. We cover everything with throws......:thumb:

• Like Like x 10
  4. Yorick

Yorick Funster

We have one of them big spikes which we hammer into ground and attach a long lead to Elvis so he can't wander off :Smile:

And he sleeps wherever he wants :Laughing:

• Like Like x 6
  5. Ven

Ven Funster

Ours has the run of the van with the exception of our bed. During the day and when travelling her be sits between the cab chairs. At night her bed is moved nearer to ours as she would not settle at the other end at night. She definitely likes to be close :RollEyes:

• Like Like x 7
  6. Mastercamper

Mastercamper Read Only Funster

If my dogs can`t go with us away from the camper van, then we don`t go away from the campervan.
    Simple really.
    Sometimes in extreme situations, they have the run of the van, if they can`t come, ie hospital visits etc. all roof vents open and windows etc for ventilation. plenty of water.
    Good security too.
    If needed we have a 12 volt ventilating fan

Overnight,they sleep on their own cushions in the front area. This is their choice.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

• Like Like x 5
  7. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

Ours have half of the "garage" for when we have to leave them in the van for shopping, ferry etc. & they would never think of getting on the furniture even with the throws on.

• Like Like x 1
  8. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 2
  9. Wissel

Wissel Read Only Funster

Mine has the run of "his" van :BigGrin:

It's his favourite place to be and he sleeps wherever he likes. When we go out from the van he usually stays inside (he doesn't play well with other dogs) and spends a few minutes guarding on the front seats then crashes out.

When we built the van we went overkill on the insulation to make sure it stayed nice and cool in the summer for him, although we do open the room lights and he has his bowels.

He loves the driving as well. If we drive by a dog being walked he always looks at them and starts laughing. You can see his mind working "ha, they have to walk" :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 4
  10. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

ours is a staffe we don't argue with him he want's to sleep some ware he sleeps there but he does prefer my drivers seat
    when we are on site he is out side most of the time it's a dog and thay don't mind as long as there with the pack :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 3
  11. Gizmouk

Gizmouk Funster

One of our dogs (the one in my avatar) is quite nervous, so like to hide away either in his tent (during the day) or in the motorhome. :RollEyes:
    Both of them have free run of the motorhome during the day, but sleep on the dinette bed at night.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Yorick

Yorick Funster

• Like Like x 9
  13. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

I gave up trying to keep mine off the seats. I cover the in duvet covers from charity shops ( seats, not dogs) They will stay in the motorhome if they've been walked. Mine are both from Cyprus and have lived in SW France for 7 years so it has to get very hot before they'd notice. They have a ground peg outside with plastic covered wire leads. And they like going out in the car too. Holly would sit in the back of a car all day every day of she could. They're pretty easy going tho will bark at other dos passing " their" motorhome.

• Like Like x 2
  14. ABZSteve

ABZSteve Funster

Pretty much the responses I expected i.e. not outside, caged in a pup tent for hours on end and overnight. Our pooch had the run of the motorhome also but everything was well covered with throws (£2 each from ASDA :BigGrin: ) and additional old duvet sheets, supplied by the hire company for the purpose of seat covering. We were soaked most days so the extra covers made all the difference. To be honest, and as I said in another post, he settled very well and hardly moved; only from the dinette to the sofa side when looking at other dogs through the window.

15. 54mud

54mud

Our dog Oskar loves to travel with us. He just curls up in his bed behind the front seats when we are moving. When we are parked, if we are outside he will be, and when we are in, he will join us. At night we put his bed by the door and he will stay there all night untill he hears us getting up. And being by the door at night he will stop anybody who breaks in as they will trip over him.
    We can leave him in when we go out and he is happy to just sleep, not a very good guard dog as he never barks at anything.

• Like Like x 1
  16. cruiser

cruiser Funster Life Member

mine stays with us or sleeps where she wants.but not on our bed.my idea.not the wifes.:thumb::thumb:

17. lesleyjean

lesleyjean Funster

My 2 little Bichon Frise have separation anxiety.

They have to be practically touching us or within sight if they open there eyes.

I took a blow up bed with me to Spain, in order to lay on my tummy in the sun and get my back brown.

As soon as it was blown up the dogs claimed it for their use:Sad:

They have the run of the motorhome, and at night Tiny sleeps on the bit between the two single beds ( u shaped lounge used as 2 singles) but when the temperature drops she snuggles in next to me under the duvet to get warm.:Laughing:

Buster sleeps on Alan's bed by his feet:Smile:

18. Roryboys Dad

Roryboys Dad Read Only Funster

Yorick - Quote - We have one of them big spikes which we hammer into ground and attach a long lead to Elvis so he can't wander off.

We have one of them big spikes which we hammer into ground and attach a long lead to the Wife so she can't wander too far away from the sink and cooker – then me and the dog go for a long walk!
    :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

He always drives when the wine glasses have been out.

:france::france::france:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  19. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Our dogs are allowed everywhere in our camper ... try to stop them and all you get is big soppy eyes looking up at you, ears at 'half mast', head slightly cocked to one side, and them telepathically sending the 'how can you refuse me, I'm so cute' messages! :BigGrin:

I made fitted covers for out dinette seats to protect them and removed all excess original furnishings into 'storage' for when we sell the van and put in my own ones which I don't worry about. I have even made some doggy 'duvets' from an old double one we had, just cutting it down and stitching the edges, and made some covers too - these are for when it's cool overnight to try to encourage them to stay in their beds instead of wanting to come up on ours! The duvets may seem 'daft' but they actually work - we some cot blankets/throws for them but once the dogs get out from under them they can't then snuggle back under, but they can with their duvets ... it doesn't always work though! :RollEyes:

They have their walks/runs before we go out on our own, that way they just settle down for a while so we don't need to worry about them - blinds drawn, sun shades on, roof vents open etc to keep them nice and comfy. One likes to be in the camper most of the time as she's a bit 'nervy' so likes her safe space under the table, but the others like to potter. If there's something we can take them with us to enjoy, such as going into the 'caves' in France, on a canoe trip etc, then we'll usually take them so long as it's not too hot as they are usually cooler in the van than out with us! :Doh:

20. Another Lesley

Another Lesley Read Only Funster

We travel with four dogs and they live in the motorhome as they do our house, they have the freedom to be anywhere they want as long as it is not on our bed. On the outside we put up some puppy panels so they can either be in or out when the door is open and they come and go as they please. They are safe and happy and we have peace of mind that they are safe and happy. They will bark if another dog invades their territory but on the whole they are peaceable enough. When traveling they each have their own travel crate which are on the floor of the motorhome as I won't have them loose whilst I am driving...again it is safe for them and us. Personally I don't see the point of having a dog or dogs if they are going to be excluded from your family life. I sadly have also seen dogs either tied up outside all day and evening or left alone for hours on end and it does make me sad.

• Like Like x 1