RobinA

Free Member
Jul 28, 2013
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Well I've gone and done it! I've ordered a 9 year old Compass Avant Garde,Suntor 300. I'm picking it up on Friday, so I've got 5 days to buy all the bits I need to stick in it, before christening her next weekend. My big concern is how I'm going to recharge laptop, iPad, phone and electronic cigarette! Do I buy a generator?
Any clues at all on anything that I need to know would be most gratefully received!

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
If it is an Avantgarde 100 then it will be virtually identical to our previous van, an Autoquest 100. If it is a different model it won't be far different. Whatever it is, enjoy :Smile:

You might find some results of our experience useful - HERE.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi Robin, and welcome to Fun, I would look at having a solar panel fitted and buy an invertor, we find that much easier than carrying a genny around, but do look into it, lots of information on here, if you can't find the answer to a question, do try the search facility so much information there.

I would say if you are starting out the best £10 you will spend is the sub for this forum then you can ask as many questions as you like and will usually have a answer, not always the right one :RollEyes: but a answer. :welcomefunster:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Well I've gone and done it! I've ordered a 9 year old Compass Avant Garde, I'm picking it up on Friday, so I've got 5 days to buy all the bits I need to stick in it, before christening her next weekend. My big concern is how I'm going to recharge laptop, iPad, phone and electronic cigarette! Do I buy a generator?
Any clues at all on anything that I need to know would be most gratefully received!

I'd say you have made a wise choice, don't like to bull it up too much ( tempting fate) but we have a 2007 Compass Avant Garde, 150 and had no trouble at all , judging by lots of posts on here that is not the case with lots of other models, not fancy but seem to be well put together, found the toilet/ shower too small but have taken the washbasin out and it has transformed it couldn't fault it now.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
phone, iPad and cigarette are easy.

phone, and i assume iPad, are chargable via the 12v cigarette socket in the dash with car chargers and electronic fag is chargable via a USB adaptor plugged into the same socket.

laptop could be more of a problem if its 15v or 19v....you may need a special charger for the fag lighter socket.

as already said, a small power inverter, which inverts 12v DC to 230v AC (mains power) will do all your needs in one unit.

150watt inverter should be big enough and cost around £20 on eBay.

generators are ok if you are going to be using a lot of 230v appliances but just to charge gadget batteries is very uneconomical.

OP
OP
R

RobinA

Free Member
Jul 28, 2013
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks

Grateful for your advice and love your strap line.

Can I borrow it?

Best wishes

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Apart from an Asus Netbook which had a bespoke tip (so I had to buy an Asus car charger) I've used a Universal charger similar to Link Removed for several laptops over the years. A lot cheaper than an inverter.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back