Where do I start

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by RobinA, Jul 28, 2013.

1. RobinA

RobinA Read Only Funster

Well I've gone and done it! I've ordered a 9 year old Compass Avant Garde,Suntor 300. I'm picking it up on Friday, so I've got 5 days to buy all the bits I need to stick in it, before christening her next weekend. My big concern is how I'm going to recharge laptop, iPad, phone and electronic cigarette! Do I buy a generator?
    Any clues at all on anything that I need to know would be most gratefully received!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  2. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

If it is an Avantgarde 100 then it will be virtually identical to our previous van, an Autoquest 100. If it is a different model it won't be far different. Whatever it is, enjoy :Smile:

You might find some results of our experience useful - HERE.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Hi Robin, and welcome to Fun, I would look at having a solar panel fitted and buy an invertor, we find that much easier than carrying a genny around, but do look into it, lots of information on here, if you can't find the answer to a question, do try the search facility so much information there.

I would say if you are starting out the best £10 you will spend is the sub for this forum then you can ask as many questions as you like and will usually have a answer, not always the right one :RollEyes: but a answer. :welcomefunster:

4. RobinA

RobinA Read Only Funster

Thank you

Looks like £10 well spent!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

YOu could get your £10 back very quickly in Funsters Discount on my website and other fellow Funster traders on Fun:thumb:

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  6. chaser

chaser Funster

I'd say you have made a wise choice, don't like to bull it up too much ( tempting fate) but we have a 2007 Compass Avant Garde, 150 and had no trouble at all , judging by lots of posts on here that is not the case with lots of other models, not fancy but seem to be well put together, found the toilet/ shower too small but have taken the washbasin out and it has transformed it couldn't fault it now.

7. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

phone, iPad and cigarette are easy.

phone, and i assume iPad, are chargable via the 12v cigarette socket in the dash with car chargers and electronic fag is chargable via a USB adaptor plugged into the same socket.

laptop could be more of a problem if its 15v or 19v....you may need a special charger for the fag lighter socket.

as already said, a small power inverter, which inverts 12v DC to 230v AC (mains power) will do all your needs in one unit.

150watt inverter should be big enough and cost around £20 on eBay.

generators are ok if you are going to be using a lot of 230v appliances but just to charge gadget batteries is very uneconomical.

8. RobinA

RobinA Read Only Funster

Thanks

Grateful for your advice and love your strap line.

Can I borrow it?

Best wishes

9. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Apart from an Asus Netbook which had a bespoke tip (so I had to buy an Asus car charger) I've used a Universal charger similar to This One for several laptops over the years. A lot cheaper than an inverter.