Where can I fill up water before festival (1 Viewer)

Loub76

Free Member
Apr 20, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Just renting
Exp
Hi, we have rented a 6berth camper for Glastonbury in June. We are staying in the campervan fields which have no hook up and apparently a nightmare to get to nearest water supply in fields which has little or no pressure. We will prob purchase a water hog anyway as we will be there 5 days so one tank will not last 6 people but my question is would there be somewhere on the motorway(M4/ M5 I think) we could fill up before we come in like a service station etc.

We have a 6 hour drive then ferry and anther 3 hours from Pembroke before we reach festival so filling up before we leave home not really an option. We have no issue paying for fill or anything just hoping facilities there. Thanking in advance for any advice you can give me...

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I dont understand why you can't fill up before you leave home, if you are also buying a water hog, then fill that up too, it should give you plenty of water for 5 days.
If you really need to fill up on the way, you could search for campsites on your route, you should be able to pay for water and waste disposal at any site.
Remember, no one washes at Glastonbury unless it rains.....!

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I think caravan and camping club sites offer motor home services only for a fiver?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I don't want to rain on your parade.... but are you carrying the six people in the van all with seat belts..?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

Loub76

Free Member
Apr 20, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Just renting
Exp
Thanks, no two are flying into Bristol and getting coach down to site and same for way home. There will definitely be seat belts we are all in 40 club or close so rocks of good sense. This is our third time but first with camper.

Would 10 hours of driving with all full tanks of water plus all our gear and beer not be very harsh on fuel plus heavy to drive? Sorry I know very little about this- We have CV rented before for closer festivals with smaller venue so getting fill was no problem there but I think there is over 1000 cvs/ motor homes at glasto

Yes campsite on way would be great if we could stop and pay for fill etc if they would allow outsiders to do that and pay. Any idea of any around there and not too close to festival site as I'm sure the regulars know all the tricks.

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Just a warning-
Beer, four people and a full water tank sound like over 3500kg to me.
You will probably be overweight and get away with it, but be prepared for hassle if you are stopped and weighed and your van hasn't got sufficient payload.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Pretty well all garages and motorway services have outside taps. Probably wise to ask but I doubt you'd be refused. You only have to ask to use the tap - you don't need to say what for.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
Would definitely fill up at home. plus water hog and would take water to drink in bottles as well
as you say night mare to get it there. watering cans are useful too as extra to top up and are weight less to transport in van .

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I've been making good use of the water taps provided for truckers at French service areas recently - presumably there's similar arrangements at our service stations?

Definitely get yourself a plastic 10 litre watering can. I bought one earlier this year and can't work out how I've managed so far without it.

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Pretty well all garages and motorway services have outside taps. Probably wise to ask but I doubt you'd be refused. You only have to ask to use the tap - you don't need to say what for.

Be careful with that though. Ralph filled up Pug at a service station on the way up to Scotland , our first proper trip out. We'd used the water in him from home on our previous stop overs .
He asked at the cash desk to fill a camper and the lad pointed him to a service machine at the back of the shop.
I made a coffee and a camomile tea for me, a bit further on our journey using the water.
Ralph took his coffee outside and Buster knocked it over . I drank half of my cup . Thought it tasted funny, blamed it on a new brand of camomile tea. A couple of hours later I was sick as a dog and had the runs.
The water had been boiled too! When we got to aviemore after me being totally emptied out both ends and feeling shocking.
Ralph spent ages draining , sterilising the tank with some Milton we'd picked up from Tesco ! Cursing the lad in the garage.
Fortunately I made a quick recovery , and it didn't spoil the holiday .
I'm sure it was down to my home made Kefir, which we drink religiously morning and night. All the good bacteria and probiotics fighting the bad ones from the water.
I can't imagine what a hired motorhome with 6 people in it would look like after Glastonbury! Hope for their sake they took a good deposit off you :Eeek::rofl:
Enjoy yourselves :party:sure you will !

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Water's been well answered but from my experience with 6 in a 6 berth m/h, all with wellies, wash kit, raincoats, brollies, Immodium etc. I'd recommend taking a smallish tent for overflow storage when on site. Keep the essentials like beer secure inside the m/h though ;)

Above all be careful with the water. 6 of you in a m/h, all with the trots, is too awful to contemplate. :sick:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
You reckon on 3 hrs from Pembroke ??? Up to 27 hours last year.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/glastonbury-2016-revellers-caught-traffic-8257718

On a rented van, I would second getting plenty of bottled water to drink, or take water from home in the hog if you have spare payload but do secure it well.

Cannot at the moment think of an easy and safe way to get water on the route to site from the motorway.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I would seriously avoid drinking water from the tank of a hire van. a very quick way to ruin your festival experience

Upvote 0
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
There are lots of water points, although the pressure will be low. A water hog will probably take 15-20min to fill.
Leave home with 20-30ltr and fill once there would be my advice...time it right and you won't even queue for water (y)

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Good idea @Ivory55 @TheBig1
We always buy bottled water to drink whilst away it's so cheap nowadays.
That is unless the tank is cleaned and it's our water from our outside tap at home. But use tap water to boil for hot drinks always have done and have never had a problem in the past. But we will never fill up at a petrol station again after that episode.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

Loub76

Free Member
Apr 20, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Just renting
Exp
Thanks all for the advice you are a helpful lot in here!!

Will try one or two independent sites and if not an option will fill up before getting on ferry as most of journey be done at that stage.

Thanks for advice re weight etc. We will need to think more along the line of budget airline packing... apart from the beer

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We filled up at a Morrisons petrol station when short in Scotland no problem probably the same across the uk I would start looking 40 miles from Glasto

Upvote 0

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
If you get there early Tuesday you might be able to fill up on site. There is easy access to water in the west field - the east camper field is a trek to the taps but we have always gone with full tank- drinking bottled water ( mainly drink
Lager) we have refilled tank every day with water carrier in trolley- 3 adults 3 grandkids have showered every day no problem if you don't mind an early morning trip - no queues at taps then. But we have to empty loo every day so not an extra trip. Hope you enjoy! And send good vibes for us- resale hell on Sunday first time no tickets since 1990 . Grandkids and I jus' desperate!!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

Loub76

Free Member
Apr 20, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Just renting
Exp
Aww good luck Kirsten, we missed out on initial sale last year but 2 of our group of 4 were successful in resale so I think you'll be fine. Blast that F5!!

Thanks for tips re water, very helpful!!

Upvote 0
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I wild camp all the time every tim you take fuel on bord fill with water every time you pull in to any where fill with water
get one of this take the shower head off and attach to any tap it all we carry and a garden hose taped on
public toilets
just disinfect the tap
shower hose.jpg

(EDIT) ask at village petrol stations tell then you filing with diesel as well fill up with water at same time if they say no tell them you will just fill up else where usually work every time for me
bill

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

Loub76

Free Member
Apr 20, 2017
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Just renting
Exp
Thank you for the good advice and sorry I haven't figured out how to thank individual posts but am taking them all on board.

We are just going to be using the water for showers (brisk) and the loo so will be buying plenty of drinking water before we go on-site.

Upvote 0
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Thank you for the good advice and sorry I haven't figured out how to thank individual posts but am taking them all on board.

We are just going to be using the water for showers (brisk) and the loo so will be buying plenty of drinking water before we go on-site.
might be worth joining the forum as you can see for £15 a year you will get your moneys worth of help and advice
bill

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Would 10 hours of driving with all full tanks of water plus all our gear and beer not be very harsh on fuel plus heavy to drive?

No, I doubt you would notice any difference in handling or fuel consumption. We always travel with full water tanks, 120 litres, you wouldn't know it's there till you turn the tap on.
Just make sure the payload is sufficient for the four of you. Enough beer for 6 nights,
one pair of jeans each, wellies, flip flops, shorts, 5 tee shirts and a few sets of under garments!
No stupid flags on poles and eat out everyday. Sorted.

Upvote 0

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
If you aren't happy to travel with a full water tank then as another Funster mentioned suggest start looking for somewhere to fill up way before you get anywhere near to the festival as the whole area goes crazy with gridlocked traffic all round that time! Local fuel stations usually have queues too then.
Again as someone mentioned - would allow a lot more than 3 hours to get from Pembroke to Pilton if you want to travel safely & don't want to have a huge fuel bill! Adding on the inevitable extra traffic & queues will make it a lot longer too. Suggest leaving a day earlier than planned & stop overnight in a friendly pub that allows overnight stays if you have a meal but again not too close to the festival!
If you decide to join this forum & you can't find somewhere to fill up with water then message me & we might be able to help if we are at home then.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back