Free Member
Mar 13, 2017
Brighton
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Hi all,

I have a question that I think I know the answer to but I'll throw it out there anyway.

We haven't jumped on the motorhome bus yet but I'm really keen and actively researching. My wife has a concern about when we get 'there' and transport.

We love walking and I can imagine going to the Lakes with our boys and parking up. Once parked up though, do people feel trapped and restricted - unable to get around as much as they would otherwise? We've traditionally done cottage holidays and on rainy days we could drive to Lakeland or go somewhere else - do you lose that flexibility with a campervan or do people use it as a vehicle while on holiday?

We don't want to caravan which I guess is the obvious compromise - that's never appealed - but have people felt this crunch - particularly those with small kids? I think it could force us to slow down, cycle and stay local to the van. I've seen some campervans driving around with Smart cars on the back. We couldn't afford that and I don't think I'd want to, but again another option.

How do people deal with the stationary and mobile bit while on holiday?

Thanks,
Kevin.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Public transport if a bus stop is close by.
use bikes....maybe not such a good idea in the lake district.
Some tow a small car behind the van either trailer or A frame.
Small scooter but obviously not an option with kids in tow.
Others may rent a car for the day or more..

Upvote 0

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
We keep moving around. We used to be folding camper "campers" and would often stay in one place for a week or two. :rolleyes: Since owning a MH, we stayed for 4 days on a site and couldn't wait to move on. :D2 A lot like sites and stay put utilising public transport, walking or cycling. If we need shopping or the like we find a local shop or a supermarket that we can park up, get what we want then move on. Never felt restricted; far from it, we are now free to do what we want when and how. We stop in lay-bys campsites, forest sites or use the BritStop scheme. (y) A fantastic way to see the country and get the kids outside.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
We can't say we've ever felt trapped or restricted. We rarely stay in a place for more than a couple of days (always exceptions). It gives us the freedom to travel to places WE want to go to and when there, wander at our leisure wherever we want in that area. However, we never pre book anywhere except the train or site outside London. Once we set off, other than getting to the train terminal at the right time for travelling, then we just coddywomple where we like. We think we might go towards Italy this year but that might end up as Spain or Portugal, who knows.

Reactions: Pia
Upvote 0
Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
This is something that we discuss. I'm new to this as well and would like to think it is a confident issue and that we will move off site a bit more. Without the dog we use bikes. Like others have said we have also thought about car hire and public transport.

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Hadn't heard of the BritStop - are there other schemes like that?

Kevin.

If you are a Facebook users, there are quiet a few groups with camping pubs and free pub stopovers etc..
In answer to the original question. We use the opportunity to walk or use local public transport. If it is in a way out location then we have to the time to chill out..
However on the plus side, having a motorhome has allowed us to stay and overnight at some great locations that you could not do with a caravan and would cost quiet a bit for hotels.. ie, Next to the square in Marrakesh, Centre of Bayeaux and 5 mins to visit the tapestry, At some of the WW2 beach sites plus many more...

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We visit the lake district often as we just stay an hour away, we normally use a CL in or on the edge of a village so we can walk for a pint or the local shop. We also like walking so we try and work out our route so that we either do a circular one or get the bus out and walk back. If its a wet day then take the van with you, you'll be surprised how easy it is to get around.
We spent 3 nights in the lakes last month wild camping, first 2 nights in a pub car park with great walks and views and the 3rd night just 1/2 mile from Keswick. Sometimes it just takes a little bit of planning and sometimes just pack up and go and see what happens, the joys of motorhoming.

Upvote 0

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Hadn't heard of the BritStop - are there other schemes like that?

Kevin.
There are other schemes on here as well e.g., Pubs that allow stop overs by our @keith , but in order for you to view them, you have to part with £15 of your good pounds and become a member. The best £15 you will spend. You will then have more opportunity to ask as many questions as you want.(y)

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
In France there must be 2-3,000 FREE different free spots to park in before you even try wildcamping. Basically you park out there where you want (within reason) next to a lake, up a mountain, by a park etc

We are ex caravanners and had similar concerns to yourself and for the past 7 years or so it now doesnt even cross our mind

Upvote 0

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Managing young children and getting them around when you've got no car isn't that straight forward but you do find solutions and ways to enjoy it. Typically whilst the children were pre-bike we got them on folding scooters, light, cheap and fold up small. We also got a couple as we couldn't keep up with them... now they are all on bikes so life becomes that bit easier.

The challenge really comes when you have to manage a dog or 2 along with the children, I still haven't managed to teach Murphy and Monty to use a scooter.....

Upvote 0

Andy H

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
IH Tio Savanah PVC
Exp
Well, we've just bought our first Moto after towing a devil pod for few years. We decided to change because we used to camp up for week or more. Within a few days we would have exhausted most of the local walks and have to start driving away from site. Didn't fancy fäffing around moving the van every few days so we thought we'd go for a campervan.

In answer to your question, we anticipate walking or cycling whilst camped up and moving every few days. Shopping will be done locally or on move days. Also, we have a 6m PVC, so can easily use for day trips should we want to.

Can't see the point of towing a small car, might as well have small caravan.

We are currently planning our first trip to the Netherlands for Easter, taking the bikes and a trailer for the dog wouldnt be doing that with a caravan.

Andy

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
It really depends where we are, I feel comfortable driving our 7.5m motorhome anywhere that a car would go (height restrictions excluded of course). For example, this weekend we visited the MIL, I dropped off wife and daughter at the beach in Swanage, and then took the van back to the site we were booked in to. I then set about various pressing jobs, like drinking coffee and watching telly. Oh I did take the dog for a walk, then I had a snooze, then the phone awoke me, wife needed collecting, so off I drove in the van to collect MIL and sister in law, and we had a good evening.

Mostly though, when we are out and about, we tend to park the van, get it set up, and then use public transport. Even in the UK this seems to be OK in most locations, although we did get caught out in Tenby recently. The Busses weren't running so we had to use taxis!

Upvote 0
Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Its all compromise a pvc is great for getting around almost like a car . We long term so a bigger van is worth it.
There is no definitive answer , we have hunkered down on a dead cheap winter pitch since early Jan , longest weve stayed in one place . I still drive the van out on shopping trips or if anything interesting in the area .
Met a few great folks here in self builds , really nice vans its horses for courses.
With children as in the op case more compromise .

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
It really depends where we are, I feel comfortable driving our 7.5m motorhome anywhere that a car would go (height restrictions excluded of course). For example, this weekend we visited the MIL, I dropped off wife and daughter at the beach in Swanage, and then took the van back to the site we were booked in to. I then set about various pressing jobs, like drinking coffee and watching telly. Oh I did take the dog for a walk, then I had a snooze, then the phone awoke me, wife needed collecting, so off I drove in the van to collect MIL and sister in law, and we had a good evening.

Mostly though, when we are out and about, we tend to park the van, get it set up, and then use public transport. Even in the UK this seems to be OK in most locations, although we did get caught out in Tenby recently. The Busses weren't running so we had to use taxis!
@DanielFord You are my new hero.
20 man points for the first paragraph

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
If you want a campervan that goes everywhere and fits any standard 4.8m x 2.4m parking space like a car, limbos under 2m height barriers, yet sleeps 4 when on site, consider a VW like mine.

VW owners have a wide choice to chill out on the campsite, or drive out for the day.

Using full facility campsites is the main compromise although some WV owners are rufty tufties who wild camp.

Upvote 0

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
If you want a campervan that goes everywhere and fits any standard 4.8m x 2.4m parking space like a car, limbos under 2m height barriers, yet sleeps 4 when on site, consider a VW like mine.

VW owners have a wide choice to chill out on the campsite, or drive out for the day.

Using full facility campsites is the main compromise although some WV owners are rufty tufties who wild camp.
other brands are available though:D

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back