When you buy a NEW Motorhome, what is the Road Tax? (1 Viewer)

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
If these changes to the VED rates are to include motorcaravans then I see a possible drop in new registrations next year . I for one won't be stumping up that amount every year just to have a new 17 plate on the driveway. This is just typical of this country shaft the motorist at every opportunity

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We had a hunt online & found this - doesn't look like good news...:(
It looks like very good news.

Quote from your link:

"Multi stage build M1SP and M1G vehicles without
a CO2 emissions figure shown as part of the final
type approval will continue to be taxed as PLG.
Where there is a CO2 figure they will be taxed
under the new scheme".

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Thought the over £40k clause ruled over everything on that document?! Who knows - it's so confusing!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Not the way I read it but one section appears to give a different answer to the next.
A case of crossing fingers, hopefully I will get the new van in for registration before 1st April, so it won't be a problem.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Mr Womble rang the DVLA & looks like @Lenny HB you will be ok as anything over 3500kg is HGV so £165 & not likely to change much after April (y) For us considering a van conversion on the Fiat Maxi Chassis that can be uprated it's not so clear. As others have said if the high rates apply then may put changing beyond budget :( Apparently it's down to us to talk to the manufacturers as to how their models will be registered...

David Asling

Free Member
Oct 24, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2014
Singles,i rang DVLA this week and was told by supervisor that phgv which motorhomes are over 3500kg will pay the extra £310 if registered after 1st April in fact any luxury vehicle in other words all motorhomes if registered after that date will pay the extra,HGV will not

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
I feel a return to tugging is on the horizon for me anyway if these VED rates apply to new motorhomes , at least there is no tax on towed trailers and instead of a new motorhome I think a new tow car before April next year and caravan

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Surely if buying a Motorhome and spending anything from £50k to over a 100k if these changes do apply £310 a year for 5 years is negligible in the overall scheme of things.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Surely if buying a Motorhome and spending anything from £50k to over a 100k if these changes do apply £310 a year for 5 years is negligible in the overall scheme of things.
To some, me included, it would be the principle.
They p*** up the wall everything they get now so to give them more ,rather than they learn to run the place , & reduce the deficit, on what they have coming in without any increases,is ridiculous.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We had a hunt online & found this - doesn't look like good news...:( Wonder how this will work with regards to SORN.
That seems to add more confusion rather than less.

To start off with it seems that ordinary cars (category M) are not included in any of this. It is only category M1, M1SP (which includes motorhomes) and M1G! That goes against the wording used elsewhere in the leaflet.

However it also says

"Multi stage build M1SP and M1G vehicles without a CO2 emissions figure shown as part of the final type approval will continue to be taxed as PLG. Where there is a CO2 figure they will be taxed under the new scheme."

But is that just for the 1st year charge (which is based on CO2) or the other charges based upon value I wonder? As I understand it dealers have deliberately not been quoting CO2 figures when first taxing motorhomes.

Glad I bought my new motorhome last year!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
But is that just for the 1st year charge (which is based on CO2) or the other charges based upon value I wonder? As I understand it dealers have deliberately not been quoting CO2 figures when first taxing motorhomes.
It is not the dealer it is what is on the C of C Multi build vehicles which coach built Motorhomes are, do not normally quote emissions as the emissions will change with the body added under the same load conditions.
Bailey manage to do it but I suspect they have just copied the base vehicles figures, that's what happens when you let caravan manufacturers build Motorhomes .:D

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
To some, me included, it would be the principle.
They p*** up the wall everything they get now so to give them more ,rather than they learn to run the place , & reduce the deficit, on what they have coming in without any increases,is ridiculous.
I agree totally but I'm not going to let it spoil my lifestyle I've worked so hard to achieve.

OT just come back from 2 months away to find our local council have imposed charges for tipping soil & hardcore at the local community tips £4 a rubble bag. Stupidity in my opinion I expect fly tipping will increase dramatically.
Before we went away I had just finished re-tiling my garage roof, had got rid of 80% of the old tiles, luckily there is a community tip only a couple of miles further away in the next county and my wheely bin was very heavy this week.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Mr Womble rang the DVLA & looks like @Lenny HB you will be ok as anything over 3500kg is HGV so £165 & not likely to change much after April (y) For us considering a van conversion on the Fiat Maxi Chassis that can be uprated it's not so clear. As others have said if the high rates apply then may put changing beyond budget :( Apparently it's down to us to talk to the manufacturers as to how their models will be registered...
I thought you virtuality full timed, in a PVC!!!:)

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
It is not the dealer it is what is on the C of C Multi build vehicles which coach built Motorhomes are, do not normally quote emissions as the emissions will change with the body added under the same load conditions.
Bailey manage to do it but I suspect they have just copied the base vehicles figures, that's what happens when you let caravan manufacturers build Motorhomes .:D
I asked my German dealer if he had a copy of a Euro6 globecar CoC to see how Globecar filled it in. short answer was no, the first Euro 6 vans are due out of the Globecar factory in November, and my van will be one of the first Euro 6 vans out of the Globecar factory.
he sent me a copy of a globecar Euro5+ CoC tho and as far as I can see, there is no CO2 emissions figure on it.

Attachments

• COC_sample.pdf
    46.5 KB · Views: 19

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back