When you buy a NEW Motorhome, what is the Road Tax?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by GWAYGWAY, Feb 5, 2016.

1. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

I am at the point of buying a new van and am a bit concerned about what the road fund for a new vehicle is now, my present PHGV is 165 but I read in MMM about the man that bought a new van a Concorde Credo, and got caught up with the new tax bands for high emission vehicle on first registration. ie Chelsea Tractors etc at £840 for the first year and dropping to £475 for all subsequent years. It was a FIAT 3.0 chassis. not a particularly unusual base vehicle.
    Is this correct as it puts a different light on the buying of the one I wanted . Does this new banding apply to all new registration motorhomes???? or was that one particularly high. What has everyone else pay for their van when they first register it, I have not been near a dealer to ask but it puts the economics of future motorhoming into a different perspective.

• Like Like x 1
  2. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

3. nelly

nelly Funster

This is a great question. i do not know the answer but i have just bought a new van and the on road costs were include in the price. I never even thought to ask but the new rules apply to 2017 so hopefully they will stay the same.

Neil

4. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

My new Hymer which I pick up Tues is £230+£55 first registration fee = total £285 .
    Its on a Fiat 2.3 150 Euro 5+

• Like Like x 1
  5. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

It seems that if the registering Dealer puts down the Emissions figure on the application you will be hit as a high rate car, MH are exempt about the figures and the rates apply as before. This was told to me by the local dealer's admin lady who has a letter sent to all the dealers from the DVLA.

6. The DATeam

The DATeam

Just taxed our Rapido, Private HGV Tax Class 10 (weighing more than 3500kg) £165. Would have thought Motorhomes are classed, if under 3500kg, as
    Private or light goods vehicles (PLG) Tax Class 11 (goods vehicles weighing no more than 3500kg)
    Not over 1549cc £145 Over 1549cc £230, not as cars. Look at the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency Form V149. Need to check when purchasing a new motorhome the supplying dealer registers the motorhome correct tax band. Could be a costly mistake if not.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...ile/419799/V149_Budget_2015_Final_version.pdf

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. pyro

pyro Funster

April registered Ducato 130 Euro 5+, taxed as above, £230/year

As far as I understand it, next year's changes based on valuation will not have any impact as those apply to "luxury" vehicles

8. PhilPepz

PhilPepz Funster

This might sound naive to experienced motorhomers but when I change my 2003 Burstner for a 2013 Bailey I was shocked, as were the Somerset Motorhome Centre sales team, that the road tax was £580 per year. As the body type was Motor Caravan & taxation class was Diesel Car we applied to the DVLA for a change in taxation class to PLG (3500kg, weighbridge 2940kg unloaded). lmagine our surprise when the change was rejected. On contacting the DVLA I was told that the law changed for vehicles registered after September 1st 2015 and therefore my motorhome was correctly taxed as a diesel car. What a ripoff!! Worse still the dealers did not know about the change.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Speve

Speve Funster

This is from uk.gov website tax tables
    4. First year a vehicle is registered

These rates apply for the first year that a vehicle is registered and taxed.

After that, vehicle tax is charged at the rates for cars registered on or after 1 March 2001.

If you buy a car partway through the first year it’s registered, you’ll pay the usual rates.

10. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

I believe that the first year rates only apply to the car bands i.e. up to 3500kg.

If you're buying something registered as PHGV, unless it's changed in the 2 years since we bought ours, there is no special rate, it's £165 straight away.

11. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Not so. Taxation class is either a Private Light Goods Vehicle if under 3,500Kg (£230) or a Private heavy Goods vehicle (£165) if over 3,500kg. See here.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. NickNic

All vehicles under 3500kg whether car or commercial are PLG. It stands for "Private & Light Goods"

The A to H tax bands apply to commercial vehicles in exactly the same way as they do to cars.

13. Boringfrog

Boringfrog Funster

You bin had. ;)

14. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Not according to this government advice. And it is for all tax after 1 April 2016.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. NickNic

That's new then. (y)

Fixed rates for all commercial vehicles is interesting. With those Euro IV and V rates it removes one of the benefits of uprating a MH to just of 3.5.

Looking at the rates some smaller car based panel vans will be charged more than they used to be, others will be less.

16. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Was the same before AFAIK - certainly was when the dealer taxed our new motorhome last November. And my previous motorhome was fixed rates too. It depends upon the excise class, which is determined by your base unit. All Ducatos, Sprinters, Transits etc are classed as good vehicle AFAIK. Maybe smaller vans are not.

17. NickNic

Going back 3 or 4 years, when I was last involved with any kind of fleet, when it came to taxing them all the panel vans up to Ducato, Transit, Sprinter size, i.e. 3500kg ones, were in the same bands as cars. None of them were fixed rate.

It might have changed 3 years ago but not any longer than that.

18. tonyl

tonyl Funster

I think it depends on whether the C of C states a CO2 emission figure for the final stage of conversion. If it does, you are in danger of being treated as an equivalent car. If there is no CO2 figure, you end up as PLG at under 3500kg. Our new Rapido has no figure for CO2 and DVLA accepted it as PLG with a first reg date of 1st June this year.

19. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

And a £60000 motorhome isn't a luxury vehicle ?

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

If it's over 3500kg its classed as PHG and is £165pa.
    The new bands and costs apply to passenger cars PLG below 3500kg