When would you call it a day... ?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by old-mo, Dec 27, 2012.

1. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

At what time of your life would you consider giving up "Motorhoming".... ?

Old age.... Financial.... Health....:Blush:

At the moment I would contemplate calling it a day because of so much traffic and crazy drivers... I dont enjoy driving like I used too say ten years ago... :Smile:

What about you.. ?

2. deisel doctor

deisel doctor Read Only Funster

To me not yet although I fall into all them catorgaries I think when they take me to the
    Cremertorium in my m/h I'll pack up

3. lorger

lorger Funster

I think this would be totally depending on personal circumstances, at the tender age of 45 I hope to be motor homing for many years to come and as long as I have my health I hope to continue.

Finance could bugger all my plans though as you never know what's round the corner, will I still have a job in 5 or 10 years time when on pension will I be able to fill the tank up, hopefully I will.

4. buttons

buttons Funster

Health and financial dont give you any option but age is not really a consideration if you are still enjoying it. Perhaps what you need is a complete change. From experience I can say that downsizing was my saviour. I wasn't using my motorhome so I got shot of it, then started again in a totally different guise. I think that driving one of those monsters on today's roads is a form of masochism but each to their own.:Wink:

5. Teepee

Teepee Read Only Funster

All you can do is carry on motorhoming while it suits you, there is not much fun in driving now. The roads now are full of what I call whacky racers, trying to cheat death or injury at an alarming rate. I have heard drivers talking about beating the time of arrival set by their sat nav's. mad really, I think vehicles are to fast these days, one solution would be to set a limiter to them like on trucks, but most would moan about that. The pace of the way people live these days is quite frightening. Proberbly won't change for years to come.the decision can only be yours, keep going while you can that's what I say don't let the bxxxxxds alter your enjoyment.

6. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Will keep going as long as I can, bearing in mind health, finances etc and as long as I have the inclination :Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Terry

Terry Funster

Could it be time to change your van? I know for us (still have same van) the way we use it has changed-- from going away from anything 2 to 4 weeks at a time circumstances change dramaticaly just over 3 yrs ago and now we tend to do more 2/3 nights away even 1 nighters and days away :BigGrin:
    Ann (birthday today :thumb:) is not in the best of health needs the odd bit of freedom the van offers ie loo etc, so now the odd 180 miles round trip to Whitby for pie and peas :Smile: is ok -same as 240 miles to whitly bay to see friends for the odd night.:thumb:If she is up to it she sits in the front or she can lay in the back :Smile:No doubt in the yank you would not do that type of trip :Wink: but for us it gets us out and the van gets used more :thumb:Other road uses don't faze me and we generally have a smile on our faces as we leave the drive -I still enjoy driving (very much so)as yet so we will carry on,after all Ann can be as bad in the van just the same as being at home :Wink::BigGrin:
    terry

• Like Like x 5
  8. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Depends on general health and our ability to afford the running costs. Being limited (for some reason) to the UK only might finish it off for me as well - I prefer Europe.

• Like Like x 2
  9. teddybard

teddybard Read Only Funster

Only if
    "The UKULELE BAND"

Turn up ,but in the morning it wont seem too bad :Rofl1:

10. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

When I don't enjoy it anymore.

Health and finance is largely out of my control.

It is without doubt less exciting after 6 years.

• Like Like x 1
  11. sue & dave

sue & dave Read Only Funster

Our Time to give up

As long as we can afford it, and we still have each other:smalllove: we will probably give up when we (I) can't make it up the steps anymore,:cry: David says he will carry me, but I'm hoping he will be too old by then. :Wink:

Sue & Dave :Cool:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

When I get fed up... Simples :Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  13. lesleyjean

lesleyjean Funster

When you first start motorhoming every place is new.:BigGrin:

After several years of motorhoming, you know which sites you like and tend to stay in the same ones over and over.:thumb:

Then you become bored with same old, same old.:RollEyes:

Then you try some new sites and different places again.:BigGrin:

It becomes exciting again.:BigGrin:

The alternative is even more boring.:Doh:

British winters are so depressing, and when it is cold and miserable outside, you are so happy that you still have the motorhome and look forward to getting away abroad for some winter sun.:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 6
  14. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

when I can no longer justify the humungus amount of wedge coming out of my income each week in the name of enjoyment.

So, when I am not enjoying it, its time to knock it on the head,

unless

health & wealth see to it before that time.

Im bored of shows, Im bored of France,

I now Love Germany and Czech republic,,

I now love using my Van to go to all the running events and meeting just a couple of friends for the weekend.

At this moment, every time I get ready to go away, I get soooooo excited. :thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  15. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

You will "Just know" that's when.:Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I have been motorhoming since my mid 20's and I am now early 60's. I still have a big smile on my face when I set off.:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 3
  17. alfandM

alfandM Funster

moving up to Sweden ,after retiring, gave M and me a whole new lease of life, new travels and places to see, and we don't have to worry about the rat race traffic, the only thing to worry about these days is Elk and deer crossing the roads ,we mainly keep to the Scandinavian country's and the old eastern block country's, we both love to travel in Belgium and Benelux and France and not forgetting the 2nd love of our travels Italy, But we don't travel that way as much as we did. We don't do Spain any more but miss Portugal, and on the occasion's we are back in Blighty the kids do the driving, i don't miss it one eye otta, my advice to you would be move and have a much simpler life and again down size as adviced in recent post's, we did and love it we now travel in a Hitler's Revenge, that's a mercedes/hobby, one of the first's i would imagine, she's 30yrs young this January and up here she's Tax Free, More Kroner's to put in the diesel tank, instead of the Kings pocket:Rofl1:yea, So keep on Mhing as long as you can ,change the things you can and except the things you can't, so its Happy New Year from us to you , and if your ever up here on ya travels there's always a space here just to enjoy in ya MH.Regards Alf

• Like Like x 5
  18. Loujess

Loujess Read Only Funster

Hmmmm - I think with age and health we might be coming to the end with the van, plus we've needed a few repairs recently. It's not the expense, although that's not much fun, but the insecurity wondering if it will be ok this time. However, I'm sure it will since we have new batteries and a new charger and alternator. Another thing I find is that there are many other things I'd like to do but don't because we can't commit, never knowing when we'll be away or not. I think we'll just see how things go this year. We are booked to go to Brittany at the end of May and I really would like to do an island hopper on the Hebrides this year so who knows. Although we are a bit 'showed' out, I'd like to go to some this year just to see our Funny friends, new and old.

Today, I've been putting some things in the van for our trip to Uttoxeter and I'm really getting quite excited. :BigGrin:

Ivy

• Like Like x 4
  19. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

Majority of us are stuck here on blighty so we have to make the best of it.
    Put up with the nurd drivers here on our trips in the uk--
    i find driving a slower MH that they can scoot all around me and do what they like,i can`t drive fast/race/cut up ,i`m too slow ,so let them get on with it.
    I just turn up a nice sound system i installed and cruise along in my own little word :Eek!:
    The longer trips over to France is something to look forward to with roads and traffic as was here in the 60`s.
    Idiot drivers won`t make me give up---remember the rabbit and the snail :thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  20. tomm2

tomm2 Read Only Funster

My daily work has me tramping around on the overcrowded lunatic asylums that they call roads here . Sometimes ( thankfully not a lot ) on the M25 , M4O and bits around them . Most of the time on roads in overcrowded rat race towns . Driving at its most basic "chore" level . If motorhome use and driving reached that kind of not enjoying I would flog the MH no question .

However , like Joner said above , our particular real enjoyment is getting on to the roads in France , Germany etc , mostly off motorway and toll roads . Its like stepping back in time to another era of quiet contentment ,with a feeling of being made welcome helping . Also the bonus of fuel being a fair bit cheaper . A few more years of tootling around on the continent , spreading the net a bit wider in to the eastern Europe countries as we go , then we will reconsider the options . Who knows , might end up with a canal boat , or a static caravan , or a cabin , or a cottage somewhere over there . We never really fully close doors on options .

• Like Like x 1