Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Our Cockapoo Roxy is nearly 5 months old and I am wondering when to get her spayed.
Some say after first season and my father always let his dogs have a first season, but our vet wants to do it before her first season what would other dog owners recommend.

John.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We always had them done after their first season but our last dog, Tazzy, the vet said there was no reason not to have her done before it and in fact there may be benefits to this for her health in the future, although we could wait until after her first it we wanted. However having had dogs who badly suffered with their the first season we decided to have Tazzy done before hers and she's had no problems whatsoever, so if your vet is saying it can be done beforehand then I'd do so. I believe it is also a slightly easier op so the dog spends less time on the table/under anaesthetic too.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I've always heard from vets and other dog owners that it's after the first season unless there's a possibility she could be got at earlier from another dog maybe?

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
We relied on our vet and she was done before her first season at around 6 months and she was back to her monstrous self the very next day.
DSC_0002.JPG

And SWMBO doing her crossword in the background.
Pepper is 16 months old now. How time flies.
This is her at 12 weeks
DSC_0002_5.JPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Interesting background reading:

Broken Link Removed

WHY DO WE PERFORM SPAY OR CASTRATION AT 6 MONTHS OF AGE?

Most veterinarians in the United States recommend bitches and dogs be spayed or castrated between 6 and 9 months of age. This is not based in science; no one has performed a large-scale study in which bitches and dogs underwent gonadectomy at various ages and were tracked throughout life to determine what abnormalities developed relative to age at gonadectomy. It is thought that the current age recommendation arose after the World War II, when increasing affluence of American families first permitted them to treat animals as household pets and were, therefore, more interested in controlling manifestations of reproductive hormone secretion and very interested in making sure the animal survived surgery. Anesthetic and surgical techniques available at that time necessitated the animal be at least 6 months of age.

With current anesthetic agents, anesthetic monitoring equipment, and surgical techniques, it has been demonstrated in multiple studies that bitches and dogs can safely undergo gonadectomy when as young as 6 to 8 weeks of age. Surgical complication rate does not vary between groups undergoing surgery when very young compared to those undergoing surgery at the more traditional age, with overall postoperative complication rate reported as 6.1%. The vast majority of these post surgical complications are transient and do not require veterinary care.​

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I have only had rescue dogs and all the puppies I have had have been spayed before first season with nil ill effects

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
We relied on our vet and she was done before her first season at around 6 months and she was back to her monstrous self the very next day. View attachment 147054
This is her at 12 weeks View attachment 147055
savage looking little bugger I must say. hope you have her muzzled when shes out. lol

Sheldon C

Free Member
Mar 30, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
Euromobil 695EB Profila
Exp
Since 1995
My one will go under the knife tomorrow, our vet recommends before first season as there is strong evidence this can prevent mammary problems later in a bitches life.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Ours was done at six months,before her first season no problems so far still as large as life at two years old !

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
My one will go under the knife tomorrow, our vet recommends before first season as there is strong evidence this can prevent mammary problems later in a bitches life.

Reason enough for having it done early, having lost a bitch to breast cancer.:cry:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I could never understand why the vet said to wait until Cass had her first season, but he neutered both male and female kittens at about 5 and a half months.
If your vet will spay before the first season then it makes sense to have it done then. Having almost lost a Springer to pyometra ( years ago) I'd never have an un-spayed bitch again.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
My vet recommended that we let Susie our yorkie have a litter before he spayed her which we did the prevent phantom pregnancy he said. It looks like he was talking very rubbish?
She Was Nearly 2 When She had 4 puppies and the first season was horrible.

OP
OP
Neckender

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Just phoned the vets and they recommend 7-8 months old for Roxy to be spayed.

John.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
My vet recommended that we let Susie our yorkie have a litter before he spayed her which we did the prevent phantom pregnancy he said. It looks like he was talking very rubbish?
She Was Nearly 2 When She had 4 puppies and the first season was horrible.
your vet needed shooting, no need to breed unnecessarily and the anti cancer benefits are lost. its down to hormones, and if speyed before first season, the source of excess hormones is removed. leaving it till after the first season allowed a bitch to fully develop and the mothering instinct to come to the fore. however this also allowed high levels of hormones to develop and so a much higher health risk later.

my old bitch was the sweetest most loving dog but a monster when the mothering instinct cut in. especially when in nature she would of had a season. she was a rescue dog and came to us immediately after her first season with injuries.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
We relied on our vet and she was done before her first season at around 6 months and she was back to her monstrous self the very next day. View attachment 147054
This is her at 12 weeks View attachment 147055
I've just been informed by SWMBO that Pepper was 7 months old when she was spayed and before her season. Mind you, her great pastime is shagging SWMBO's leg. That's probably because we took the furry gorilla off her for doing it. Fortunately she doesn't do it when we have guests.:hot::hot:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back