When to book?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by wander, Dec 30, 2011.

1. wander

wander Read Only Funster

For a number of reasons, not least that we like to be organised, we have to plan our breaks well in advance. However when we have emailed campsites to try and book pitches 3 or 4 months ahead, we often get replies that they don’t take bookings that far in advance or not at all, especially if we quote the ACSI card. Some say contact us a couple of weeks before travel and one campsite would only take a booking the day before arrival. We’ve always managed to get on site but when you’ve driven a long way the last thing you want is the uncertainty of the availability of pitches and the worry of trying to find another site.
    So can some of you seasoned funsters advise what you usually do regarding bookings, we don’t go for wild camping having had an unpleasant experience.

2. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Don't book. We just turn up and have done for years. Even in the unlikely event of somewhere being completely full there is always somewhere else just down the road :thumb:.

I assume you are not thinking of the UK which is not well supplied with campsites.

3. wander

wander Read Only Funster

We are coming over to the UK in the summer but for our sins, are CC members so hope to use CL's

4. Cyclewalkbob

Cyclewalkbob Funster

We had 6 weeks around France in August-October and only had to book at one site in Vaison la Romaine, as we knew it would be busy at the end of the high season. We also booked Guines site for our first night and last night in France.

We used mainly ASCI sites, with a couple of camping Cheque sites and found no trouble getting in.

If you are going in high season then I think you might have to book.

Cheers

Bob

5. madbluemad

madbluemad

We have never booked anywhere. Just turn up. As said earlier, there are more campsites knocking around than you can shake a stick at, so, you wont get stuck.

To be fair we do plan ahead. We always plan for an alternative if things go wrong.
    Jim
    :Smile:

6. dylan

dylan Read Only Funster

I agree with others, I own a CS and some book months in advance some book a couple of hours in advance and some just turn up. A good owner never minds but if you do book anywhere please phone and cancel if you don't intend turning up (which I am sure you do ). :Smile: :thumb:

7. madbluemad

madbluemad

Dylan, is your site within striking distance of Aberaron.
    Jim
    :Smile:

8. steveclecy

steveclecy Read Only Funster

For the last two years we have turned up "on spec" and have NEVER been turned away in France. Yes, both years were in June but go for it! That is part of the enjoyment. If you book first you may be disappointed - we have driven onto sites and driven straight off again. Pre-booking and you lose that choice. Even busy sites will find you a pitch for a night or two.

Steve

• Like Like x 1
  9. dylan

dylan Read Only Funster

Just over an hours drive Jim

10. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

Out of season

Out of season .. i.e early or late months we just turn up.. However we do book a pitch including a pitch number in June when we stay for 3 weeks as a base, the owners know us and have always booked it for us even using the ACIS card.

But so many camp sites you do not have to travel far.

Bob