When is Gasit / Gaslow the right option? (1 Viewer)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hi guys
When would it be viable to have a gasit gaslow installation?
Is it about time away?
Is it about the the cost saving on refills ?
Currently have 2 x 6kg calor bottles and doing a 2 week trip to Germany soon
Thanks
Robert

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
To address your last comment first - so long as you don't cook for hours on end or have the heating on for ages your 2 x 6kg Calor bottles should last you for 2 weeks (assuming they are full!). We have a single 11kg Gaslow bottle and it lasts us at least 3 weeks before we need to put anything in it.

A refillable gas cylinder system has many benefits including:
  • not having to lift a full Calor cylinder into your gas compartment as you would with an exchange bottle
  • not having to exchange a part-used Calor cylinder in order to get a full one for your holiday and therefore giving back some gas you've paid for
  • can be refilled anywhere that LPG is available (... we've NEVER been refused yet in 5 years of use!)
  • once you have the system installed the cost of the gas is much lower than you would pay for the same amount in an exchange bottle
  • you can see from the gauge how much gas you have remaining (once it's dropped below 50%!)
  • you can move the system from one van to another, so once you've bought it, you don't have to splash out for it again
  • for longer trips away it is, IMV, the best solution as you cannot possibly take enough Calor cylinders with you - you could buy a local cylinder but that is on the presumption that you are staying in the same country so you can exchange it when needed and of course you have to store your Calor whilst you're not using it
We have a single Gaslow 11kg bottle and wouldn't be without it. In a previous van the gas locker only held one bottle so we couldn't take a spare or a back-up with us in case the main bottle ran out, so having a refillable rather than an exchange cylinders was vital. In our current PVC the locker is supposed to take 2 x 6kg cylinders, however, I managed to persuade our existing 11kg refillable into it so it left some storage space at the side (used sensibly so as not to prevent gas drop out!). We did consider getting a fixed tank fitted though to free up the whole of the locker but the cost of this was way too much for the small benefit we'd gain.

It is about your own personal needs/wants so difficult to advise you.

For us the time away (5-7 weeks at a time) means only a refillable system will do although the cheaper cost of gas is a definite benefit!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Very handy if you plan to stay away from campsites and EHUs because you'll need more gas for your fridge.

Probably best used in conjunction with a solar panel, which means you're effectively an off-grid independent unit until the next gas refill is required.

Eventually, if the installation has paid for itself in gas price savings, it will be a cheaper system to operate because Autogas is less per litre than Calor gas. You could also factor in the non-returnable deposit on Calor bottles, and the savings you make on campsite fees if you choose to stay on aires, CLs or cheaper more basic sites because you don't need the EHU for the fridge.

Personally I wouldn't be without one - huge peace of mind, especially abroad. We carry a 6Kg Calor as a backup but have never had to use it.

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
3 main avantages
  1. Cheaper gas. I am paying about £10 less per refill
  2. Fill up whenever not when the bottle is empty.
  3. No more swapping bottles in the middle of the night when it is chucking it down.
  4. No lugging bottles around.
If it is a purely a financial decision and the other criteria are not relevant then it is straight forward maths.

If the other things are attractive you just have to decide if the value of them are worth the expense.

For me as a fulltimer I got my money back easily in the first year. But the other bonuses are worth it on their own.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've been going over our usage to date and have found that we have passed break-even point and are now reaping the financial benefits of the system.:)

Based on our vehicles' gas locker capacity (ie whether we would have had to use 13kg or 6kg Calor bottles) and our gas usage since 2009, this equates to:

Using Calor exchange cylinders
£229.50: 9 x Calor 13kg cylinder @ £25.50
£220.00: 11 x Calor 6kg cylinder @ £20.00
£449.50: Estimated total cost of Calor cylinder exchanges (minimum)

Using refillable Gaslow cylinder
£240.00: cost of our 11kg kit in 2009 (now around £200 with a Gas-it system)
£166.00: cost of refills (236 litres at an average cost of 70p per litre)
£406.00: Total expenditure to date

So, on this basis, we're around £43.50 in 'profit' now and will continue to benefit in the future. (y)

In reality, though, the 'profit' is probably even greater as we'd have needed a few Calor cylinders to take on our long trips and therefore have had to pay the initial rental costs. Although I haven't included this in the figures obviously this would add to the overall cost of using Calor and even though they can be returned you actually only get a proportion of your 'rental' deposit back, not the full amount, and after 5 years (I think) you get nothing back, whereas I still have the Gaslow system to sell on if I want to.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Thanks guys for the advice
Is this a diy job or is professional install the best option
We're based in East Sussex

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
It IS a DIY job if you're reasonably handy, but you MUST have it properly checked when you're done.

I took the cowards way out and got Dave Newell to fit mine!

Upvote 0

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
I took the cowards way out and got Dave Newell to fit mine![/QUOTE]

So did I, but didn't call it cowardice, called it knowing I was getting the job done right. As it turned out we couldn't have the outlet outside due to gas cupboard design. Dave positioned it inside with extra bracketing for support and then all the certification to prove its safety credentials. A brilliant job done.

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
nothing difficult just a bolt together job check for leaks with spray even fitting a van side filler isnt hard just check where your drilling at least twice

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have 2x11kg Alugas. With the benefit of experience I would just have got one as you can fill up anytime, so the second one is just extra space and weight taken up.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
It IS a DIY job if you're reasonably handy, but you MUST have it properly checked when you're done.

Whilst this is good advice, it actually is NOT necessary, it isn't really much more difficult than removing an exchange bottle and connecting another up, and ensuring you don't have any kinks, leaks etc in the joints. Common sense and checking, checking and finally checking again are the order of the day. If you are not confident in your abilities, then either leave it to the 'professionals' or get it inspected afterwards, but then maybe you shouldn't DIY in the first place.

I've moved our kit without problem from van to van - the last 2 installs were a bit awkward but not difficult and we've never had a leak with the system - we would certainly not be without it!

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I have 2x11kg Alugas. With the benefit of experience I would just have got one as you can fill up anytime, so the second one is just extra space and weight taken up.
Seeing as Robert is local to you perhaps you could do a 'deal' for the second bottle and extra kit etc if it can be removed and re-used as a single system with some extra bits ... just a thought! (y)

Upvote 0

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
I am very much in favour of refillables, but there are a couple of things to watch.

LPG filling stations are not always all that common. Not really a problem here, but in some countries they are very well spread out and you need to know where they are. We went to Norway and whilst they do exist we only found out about a handful in the whole country.
You cannot get LPG in Morocco. Spanish LPG sites are not common - but again they do exist. So some planning is needed for significant periods of time in some countries.

But I guess its still easier than trying to find cylinders in these countries!

Also make sure you have the full range of adapters - not all countries use the same fillers. A good fitter should give you a set when supplying your system.

Upvote 0

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Hi guys
When would it be viable to have a gasit gaslow installation?
Is it about time away?
Is it about the the cost saving on refills ?
Currently have 2 x 6kg calor bottles and doing a 2 week trip to Germany soon
Thanks
Robert

I must disagree on costs quoted.

The actual refill may be much cheaper than a conventional bottle system but when you take into account the high cost of the installation then you will have to use a large amount of gas before it becomes cheaper than a bottle system.

I agree with other that it is more convenient than having bottles that need to be changed.

Upvote 0
Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
It is a no brainer really! Fit and forget until you just fill up at under half of cost of exchange. I reckoned 16 full fills would pay for my two 6kg system - and I love the convenience. I fitted it myself with a spanner or two, a drill and a screwdriver in about an hour, most of the time spent on finding the best position for the hoses. Dead easy with the Gasit kit.

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
I have self fitted two systems in different vans. A practical DIY er can do this easy peasy. You need to check the installation afterwards, washing up liquid around the joints, and if you tighten up the joints properly you will have no problem. Gas it do a range of kits to fit all types of installation, and are very quick on deliveries.
Phil

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On ukcampsite.co.uk, ads, someone's selling a complete set up, 11 kg and 6 kg for £180. Maybe of interest to somebody.

Upvote 0

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
If your in the UK 99% of your MH time not worth it, however if you use your MH across EU it is worth every penny as you will save loads. The beauty is you can fill up as and when you like with gas ( we do ours when we fill with fuel ) and that way you are "ready" for whatever you are going to do. If your "off grid" then it really is the only way to go. We had ours done by Dave Newell 3 years ago. PERFECT.

Upvote 0

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
I'm going to get the gas it system just measured the gas locker and the 11kg bottle won't (just) fit so it's the 6kg bottle for me, does anyone know if I can use my 7kg nearly full calor bottle as back up.
Thanks

Upvote 0

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
I'm going to get the gas it system just measured the gas locker and the 11kg bottle won't (just) fit so it's the 6kg bottle for me, does anyone know if I can use my 7kg nearly full calor bottle as back up.
Thanks

When you say "won't fit" the system Dave Newell fitted for us he removed the top collar around the knob and fitted a treat. Not sure the gasit system will allow you to do that. Best thing is call Dave and ask for advice before going forward.

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
Interesting thread this.
So I see there are different makes; GASLOW/GASIT/AUTOGAS etc. But are all the filling connectors compatible between manufacturers? Are all the LPG stations across Europe using the same filling nozzle or do you need adaptors?

Keith

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
All the ones in the UK are the same. French ones are different as are Spanish and so on. When Vanbitz fitted my Gaslow they supplied a set of adaptors, 4 I believe, to cover Europe.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Couldn't tell you. Mine was in with a load of other stuff and I had 2x11kg anyway. Give Eddie a PM.

Upvote 0

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
When you say "won't fit" the system Dave Newell fitted for us he removed the top collar around the knob and fitted a treat. Not sure the gasit system will allow you to do that. Best thing is call Dave and ask for advice before going forward.
Thanks for that will check it out, I checked the size of the 11kg on the gas it site 550mm which is about 5mm to big, not much but enough. If I could get the 11kg in wouldn't bother with another bottle. Might get Terry on the job lol

Upvote 0

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005

I fitted mine, very simple but I still got Dave N to check it over when he serviced the van.

Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
The Gaslow 11Kg cylinder is 540mm so may fit. We have 2 11 Kg cylinders fitted on ours, we bought it for the convenience of not having to lift bottles in and out. Will take some time to break even but we didn't even consider that when deciding to with Gaslow.

I moved it from our old van, a Burstner, to our current van, a Euramobil. Much tighter in the Euramobil but still managed to fit them both in - there was no way they weren't going to fit!

Joe

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back