LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
I noticed on a well known UK Camping sites web site that they differentiate between sites that accept Campervans and those that take Motorhomes. It got me wondering if there is a definite distinction? The "no shower/loo" thought sprang to mind but then I've seen VW type Campervans that have had them fitted ... is there a maximum size/shape that denotes a Campervan? If I turned up in my 5.4m PVC would I be turned away?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I think any camping related vehicle that retains its original factory shape, regardless of how posh it is,
Its a van, with furniture and fittings inside it ergo a Camper Van, including Pop Tops

A Base vehicle usually incomplete or base vehicle chassis cab arrangement taken from the factory and adding a purpose made Body is a Motor Home

Upvote 0

Deleted User
Reckon it's a bit like when your alive and dead, no heart and brain, then dead. No wheels, no engine, no longer motoring. But I think your comments and not the title are leaning towards Camper and Motorhomes. I think if you can be self sufficient and live in it, then a home. If it's a bed and a cooker, then a camper. Sure you will get better examples from more seasoned bods than me. As for camp sites, I think they are worried about hard standing, mud, and the weight churning up their lawns etc.
Ian

Upvote 0
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
The title reminds me of an old joke Q "When is a M/H not a M/H?". A "When it turns into a site"

Bad jokes aside, I tend to regard a campervan as the kind of vehicle that is generally used more for touring, usually an adaptation/variant of a van (e.g. a PVC). Again a generalisation, but the kind of vehicle that you could use in place of a car (shopping, etc)

In contrast, I regard a M/H as a cab/chassis combination with either a custom fitted habitation unit (coachbuilt) or an entire outer shall (A class) that is generally more self contained and better suited to longer term stays

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I'm with the majority so far, my last two vans were coach built and I considered them to be motorhomes, whereas the van I have on order is a PVC and I consider that to be a camper.

Upvote 0

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Must be the odd one out mines just "the van". Motorhome / campervan is there any real difference it's just a vehicle with a bed and a sofa. :xdoh::xdoh:

Upvote 0

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Must be the odd one out mines just "the van". Motorhome / campervan is there any real difference it's just a vehicle with a bed and a sofa. :xdoh::xdoh:

Me too !..... Despite what I consider them to be, I always refer to them as "the van" x:-)

Upvote 0
Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
The requirements in the eyes of the DVLA are simple, the vehicle must have and I quote their document...
  1. a door that provides access to the living accommodation
  2. a bed, which has a minimum length of 1800mm or 6 feet. This can be converted from seats used for other purposes during the day but must be permanently fixed within the body of the vehicle
  3. a water storage tank or container on, or in, the vehicle
  4. a seating and dining area, permanently attached to the vehicle. The table may be detachable but must have some permanent means of attachment to the vehicle. It is not good enough to have a loose table
  5. a permanently fixed means of storage, a cupboard, locker or wardrobe  a permanently fixed cooking facility within the vehicle, powered by gas or electricity
  6. at least one window on the side of the accommodation.
If the vehicle has all of these features present, permanently fixed and installed properly, then it is a legal requirement to have it reclassified as a motor caravan on the V5C.

...end of quote. This is taken from

That's what changes a 'van' to a 'motor caravan' and although it does not change the classification from N1 it is considered for all other purposes to be a motor caravan.

Don't ask how the VW California Beach gets classed as a motor caravan when it does not have those prerequisites.

The above being the legal view how can any campsite (in the UK) argue if the V5C states body type 'Motor Caravan'?

Rod

Upvote 0

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
The requirements in the eyes of the DVLA are simple, the vehicle must have and I quote their document...
  1. a door that provides access to the living accommodation
  2. a bed, which has a minimum length of 1800mm or 6 feet. This can be converted from seats used for other purposes during the day but must be permanently fixed within the body of the vehicle
  3. a water storage tank or container on, or in, the vehicle
  4. a seating and dining area, permanently attached to the vehicle. The table may be detachable but must have some permanent means of attachment to the vehicle. It is not good enough to have a loose table
  5. a permanently fixed means of storage, a cupboard, locker or wardrobe  a permanently fixed cooking facility within the vehicle, powered by gas or electricity
  6. at least one window on the side of the accommodation.
If the vehicle has all of these features present, permanently fixed and installed properly, then it is a legal requirement to have it reclassified as a motor caravan on the V5C.

...end of quote. This is taken from

That's what changes a 'van' to a 'motor caravan' and although it does not change the classification from N1 it is considered for all other purposes to be a motor caravan.

Don't ask how the VW California Beach gets classed as a motor caravan when it does not have those prerequisites.

The above being the legal view how can any campsite (in the UK) argue if the V5C states body type 'Motor Caravan'?

Rod
I genuinely found that very interesting and it answers when a van becomes a motor caravan, but not what differentiates a motorhome from a camper van.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Ask the people who are running Chester Camperfest as they have two prices, camper van and motorhome.

The T&C's don't help.

• Choose your Outfit*
    • Tent - £30.00
    • Campervan - £35.00
    • Caravan - £35.00
    • Motorhome - £40.00

Martin

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Many of of friends and family have motorhomes, most of them 10m'ish

Our current van is 10m very high, very wide and then it was two massive slide outs

Yet all the family ask if we're at home next weekend or "away in the camper"

Its like do you take the "Car or take the Rolls" lol

Upvote 0

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Many of of friends and family have motorhomes, most of them 10m'ish

Our current van is 10m very high, very wide and then it was two massive slide outs

Yet all the family ask if we're at home next weekend or "away in the camper"

Its like do you take the "Car or take the Rolls" lol

Hells Bells Eddy I've had some big vans but never one that high:xeek::xeek:

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Me too !..... Despite what I consider them to be, I always refer to them as "the van" x:-)

Come on guys theses two answers are just cop outs
The real answer is staring you in the face try this experiment just for fun
Decide what you want
Either a panel van conversion "Camper Van"
or
A Coach built inc A class "Motor Home"

Then type into E bay "VAN" now show me whats on offer:xeek:
Then type in Camper Van look at what s on offer:xThumb:
Then Type In Motor Home and look again x:-)

I know Rory does better with pictures :xrofl:
Simples :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I was just going to book the Tunnel tickets last night, but my only option was campervan!! is this what I need to select for my Motorhome?o_O

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
My view is it depends on how you use it.

If it is like a tent in that you don't have facilities, to wash, shower etc and can't stand up straight then you are camping in a van.. Ergo a camper van.
If you can live in it full time and it has the basic essentials you find in a house such as kitchen, dedicated room for shower and toilet, central heating and a fixed bed it is a Motorhome.

I don't think it makes any difference if it is a PVC or coachbuilt.

Upvote 0

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Come on guys theses two answers are just cop outs
The real answer is staring you in the face try this experiment just for fun
Decide what you want
Either a panel van conversion "Camper Van"
or
A Coach built inc A class "Motor Home"

Then type into E bay "VAN" now show me whats on offer:xeek:
Then type in Camper Van look at what s on offer:xThumb:
Then Type In Motor Home and look again x:-)

I know Rory does better with pictures :xrofl:
Simples :rolleyes:
Ha ha :xlaugh: I refer you to my earlier response >>>>>>>>

I'm with the majority so far, my last two vans were coach built and I considered them to be motorhomes, whereas the van I have on order is a PVC and I consider that to be a camper.

Upvote 0

Muddibootz

Free Member
Jan 4, 2016
North Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
Exp
since 1994
I've recently been asked if I own one of those "Dormobiles".

Of course I said yes.

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Slight topic swerve here.
DVLA says:
The table may be detachable but must have some permanent means of attachment to the vehicle. It is not good enough to have a loose table
So TECHNICALLY (and in know that's not the same as IN PRACTICE) - if your moho starts out with a detachable table & a twizzly leg thingy, but you swap it for a folding table so you can also use it outside, TECHNICALLY are you no longer a moho, & therefore subject to all sorts of payments as if you were a commercial vehicle? (No I don't expect anybody would look either, just a hypothetical question.)

Upvote 0

juwlz

Free Member
Sep 30, 2008
Berkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
I noticed on a well known UK Camping sites web site that they differentiate between sites that accept Campervans and those that take Motorhomes. It got me wondering if there is a definite distinction? The "no shower/loo" thought sprang to mind but then I've seen VW type Campervans that have had them fitted ... is there a maximum size/shape that denotes a Campervan? If I turned up in my 5.4m PVC would I be turned away?
I'd say the terms are generally used interchangeably, so to answer your original question, you'd have to ask the website in question how they distinguish between them, since they obviously do. But in that case, you may find it's simply a size restriction - some of campsites simply don't have big enough pitches to accommodate the giant Winnebago style beasties. I doubt it's a matter of on-board facilities, as it's up to you to choose what facilities you need/want when you pick your campsite.

In general use, I think the layman conjures up a picture of the classic VW Rock and Roll style with a pop up roof when you say Campervan, but I personally loosely use Campervan for any Panel Van conversion, and Motorhome for Coachbuilts and A Class vans.

Having said that, ours is usually referred to between ourselves just as "the van".

Julie

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back