Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Greetings,

The questions just keep on coming.

I have just received the V5C arising from our purchase of the 'van.

Despite there being decals all over the beast saying Hobby and a load of paperwork from the Hobby factory showing which bloke tested the electrics and a handbook etc. the V5C describes our new, (to us) pride and joy as a TRIGANO???:Doh:

My knowledge of motorhomes does not go anywhere near as far as knowing who owns what and when. I've been on the Trigano website and discovered which brand they own now, Hobby isn't on there.) Can anyone advise as to whether say in 2005-6, did they own the Hobby brand?

Next question, What do I do about it? I can't turn up at the local? DVLA Office because they don't exist any more. Is there a Form that covers such C*ck Ups. Pleas advise.

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Have you checked that the v5c has the other details correct e.g.vin/chassis no ?

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi John,

Everything else is at it should be, including Engine No. Chassis No. and date of First Registration.

Would I be right in saying that Hobby have never been part of Trigano?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Hobby are German and I have NEVER known them allow to allow their name to be put on anything but their own kit ( but hey, I could easily be wrong, and just never seen or heard of it happening )

Trigano are better known for trailer tents..

As an aside, our Miller M/H V5 says it is a Peugeot ( which is the base vehicle ), and our old Hobby had Fiat on the V5

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Thanks John,

I have just fired off an EMail to Swansea.
To compound the Felony, I have just noticed that the MOT states that the wagon is a Trigano. I don't know whether the MOT is generated via the DVLA computer and thus is their fault or whether the Tester took the details off the previous MOT. Let the fun begin.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Its a complete mystery to me this one. Obviously a mixup with DVLA. Its common for the chassis manufacturers name to be on the logbook. My RMB is a Mercedes 410 on the logbook with no mention of RMB. The only motorhomes I have ever owned that have had the coachbuilders name on the logbook were American RVs.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
My Mercedes Hymer S700 Motorhome came back from DVLA as a
Make : Mercedes
Model : Renault Scenic
Body Type : Pick-up
on the log book when I imported it, despite having all the paperwork, photos, weight ticket, etc. which had been verified at the local office. They classed it as PLG despite it being 4600kg. It took some time and help from the local office to put things right.

Capita run DVLA and the bottom line is all they are interested in. They have got rid of the knowledgeable local office staff to employ cheap labour at Swansea.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Hobby are German and I have NEVER known them allow to allow their name to be put on anything but their own kit ( but hey, I could easily be wrong, and just never seen or heard of it happening )

[HI]
Trigano are better known for trailer tents..
[/HI]

As an aside, our Miller M/H V5 says it is a Peugeot ( which is the base vehicle ), and our old Hobby had Fiat on the V5

:Eeek: trailer tents....not seen any of them on their product list before

but this lot are the motorhomes they do....

chausson
challenger
CI
elnagh
mclouis
euramobile
autostar
Benimar
Roller Team
Mobilevetta
Notin
autotrail (suspect this is the trailer tent bit:roflmto:)
and a few others....

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
:Eeek: trailer tents....not seen any of them on their product list before

but this lot are the motorhomes they do....

chausson
challenger
CI
elnagh
mclouis
euramobile
autostar
Benimar
Roller Team
Mobilevetta
Notin
autotrail (suspect this is the trailer tent bit:roflmto:)
and a few others....

Our folding camper was a trigano lovely bit of kit, this doesn't help the op and I have no idea how to help :ROFLMAO:

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
We had a similar problem with our Dethleffs
Wrong number axles
Wrong weight
Wrong tax class
Wrong number seats
Quite a lot of other info missing
In the V5 it is Fiat Ducato base vehicle which is right
We sent a letter and the V5 back to them with lots of photos of vehicle including vin plate and weight plate,took 5 weeks for them to sort but ok now

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
It is the supplying dealer that registers a brand new vehicle with DVLA, no one else so apart from finger trouble at Swansea you know who to blame in most cases

Peter

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi Again,

So that means I must join those whispering ranks whose experience at Brownfoools:winky: has caused them angst.

In this case it wasn't their After Sales Service that was dire.

It was their "Before they get their Hands on it" Service that caused the problems.:Doh:

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi Again,

Got a reply from DVLA,
This is wot(sic) they wrote;
Dear Mr Derek ??????? (They're my Question marks, They didn't put my surname),

"Thank you for your email received on 19/2/14. Your email reference number is *****

If you wish to know specific details regarding your vehicle, I suggest you contact the manufacturer direct. Who will be able to confirm make and model of vehicle in question. We would suggest on receipt of letter from manufacturer to send a copy with V5C registration certificate to the following address:"

It does make me wonder if they read the stuff you send them.
I told them it was a Hobby,
I gave them the Model No.
The VIN No. and the Chassis No. So what the first two sentences are about is anyone's guess.

The upshot is that an EMail has been sent to Hobby and a request is in for them to confirm that the details on their system refer to one of theirs.

The MOT is quite simple. I have to wait until DVLA issue me with a new V5C and then send that to my Local VOSA Enforcement Office. If they accept that Brownfools have faux pas'ed
then they will issue me with a corrected MOT.

Please Note. the Mass Telephone No. for VOSA is 0300 123 9000. You will be speaking to VOSA in Wales.(prob connected at the hip to DVLA) By the admission of the staff in the local office they are, shall we say, awkward in their ability to assist (or can be) The local offices on the other hand have been nothing but helpful.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi,

Talk about efficient.

Hobby sent me, at almost by return of electricity used in the Email, a copy of the Certificate of Conformity relating to our 'van. Talk about quick:thumb:

The V5C plus evidence by the bushel is en route to Swansea. I hope they don't want sworn affidavits from the 'very nice lady' in Deutschland.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Greetings, With an update,

I have just got off the 'phone to DVLA.
I actually got through, after a wait of a couple of minutes to a real person except that she spoke in a staccato, clipped, Welsh accent with the addition of an Aussie upward inflection at the end of every comment. It was, at the same time, very difficult to comprehend and damned annoying.

The upshot was that they will be contacting me within 5-7 working days (for that I read, haven't done anything yet.) with the added twist that she said that they were having difficulty getting the right information from the Manufacturers. I did ask which manufacturer they had tried to contact because, from reading previous threads, I knew it wasn't beyond the bounds of possibility that they had been contacting Trigano. However, I was assured by Kylies sis. that they were having trouble contacting Hobby.
I pointed out to her that the efficient German Co. had provided me with a C of C within minutes of an electronic request and further pointed out that DVLA had that document in their possession.
She couldn't comment on that and told me that I would either receive a new V5C or more sinisterly, a request for further information. This was from the Case Worker with whom I couldn't have a conversation.

Watch this space.

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
It makes you wonder how many V5Cs have got incorrect details on them.
I was in the process of buying a motorhome when i noticed that the vin number was incorrect on the V5C, just one letter. The two previous owners hadn't noticed.:Doh:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
A motorhome is always listed on the V5 under the CHASSIS CAB OR CHASSIS COWL manufacturer!
Ie. Fiat, Ford, Peugeot, Citroen, Renault, Iveco, etc!

The dealer is a numpty!:Angry:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Greetings,

At the risk of shooting myself in the foot, I am going to give an update on this ongoing saga.

Today I received a letter from DVLA. Part of the letter reads;

"I should advise you that the vehicle may be called a Hobby in Germany but is called Trigano in Britain:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek: The manufacturer has not provided the facility to register this vehicle as Hobby. To do this I would have to use a "DUMMY CODE" which is not recognised on our systems and you therefore would not receive a reminder to Tax, this would stop you from licensing on line and you would also get trouble testing his (sic) vehicle each year."

When SWMBO scraped me off the ceiling, I read the rest. Part of the last paragraph read,; "You can contact me on the above Telephone number direct if you have any further queries regarding this matter and I will be happy to help"

I thought, nothing ventured, nothing gained and I rang the No. provided.

Blow me down but the author of the letter actually answered the phone and a very pleasant conversation ensued.

I pointed out to her that the comment that my Hobby was in fact a Trigano in disguise was so erroneous. I further pointed out that Trigano were a French Motorhome manufacturer and Hobby were German and that they were totally different Companies... The young lady at the other end, (for that was she) admitted that she knew little of our lifestyle and openly stated, "It's bureaucracy gone mad here", There's honesty for you.:RollEyes:

I stated that I was apprehensive about taking the 'van abroad and having to argue with a French Policeman about the finer points of French motorhome manufacturers. I offered an alternative. I suggested that I have the 'van reregistered as a Fiat. Surprising this was accepted and she promised to ring me back later in the day after she had consulted with her Supervisors.

Blow me down at 5.40pm tonight, she rang back. She said my suggestion had been met with approval and she was actively looking for a code pertaining to my 57 Registered pre. x250 Fiat (think it's a X244).

Increasing my bravado, I innocently asked:RollEyes:what I should do about the Tax Disc that is still on the 'van. I proffered the thought that I should wait until the 'New V5C arrived and then send in the Trigano Tax Disc and await a Fiat one. "No need", said she, "I'll put a new one in the post along with the Log Book and you can send the old one in":thumb:

Talk about Gobsmacked, I haven't been that pleasurably shocked since ....... well since a long time ago.

So there you have it. If Blodwyn (made up name) is as good as her word, I should have a new, correct V5C and Tax Disc by this time next........ (Fill in the Date):ROFLMAO:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
OK, now you are the proud owner of a Fiat and not a Trigano, have you, or previous owners, been notified of any recalls?!:Eeek:

Just a thought, your van might have fallen off the radar with its incorrect registration details!

I know there is a website somewhere you can check.:thumb:

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Greetings All,

Here is my last message on this thread. As good as her word, Blodwyn, (alias), Case worker extraordinaire at DVLA sent me a 'New' VEL with the magic word FIAT on it. along with a SAE to return the old one to her.

Today in the post I received a 'NEW' V5C for the van, again with those words FIAT for make of vehicle. I feel fairly happy now in taking said 'van to France and Spain without the worry of having to attempt to explain the Hobby's parentage.

If my case is anything to go by might I offer this suggestion. If you have to ring Swansea, try to get past the telephone answerer and speak to the case worker involved with your particular query. In my case the receptionist was about as much good as a fish on a bicycle but the case worker did the business.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back