Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
I recently purchased a new tv for the MH, but it is 240v only - no problem as we are almost always on EHU. I'd like to feel though that we are truly independent if needs be, and have noticed that the tv at home in the kitchen (which we've had for a few years) is, in fact a 12v tv - it has a 240/12 v transformer to plug into the mains and the input on the back of the tv is labelled "12v dc"

Is there any reason I can't swap the tv's and use the one from the kitchen on the MH 12v supply?

I believe that with laptops, for example, it's important to use the correct mains transformer - is this just because they are not necessarily 12v? Or is there some other arcane electrical reason which means what I'm proposing could damage the tv?

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
No reason but the 12v supply is coming from the transformer on 240v EHU/Mains.

You will need a lead correctly wired to get 12v from your leisure battery, I am sure PappaJohn can explain it more than me.

Peter

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
As motorhome batteries can range from 11 volts to over 14 volts I always use a Maplin variable voltage supply lead set at 12 volts for the TV. Using one of these there should be no problem with your kitchen TV.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I will second Snowbirds comment. I see up to 14.5V on my battery terminals. I use a 12v regulator for any sensitive electronics.

OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
As motorhome batteries can range from 11 volts to over 14 volts I always use a Maplin variable voltage supply lead set at 12 volts for the TV. Using one of these there should be no problem with your kitchen TV.

Many thanks - I've looked on the Maplins online stroe site and can only find this:

Link Removed

Is this what I need? Or is it something else?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Or you can make up a lead and wire it directly to your battery or 12v plug/ariel :winky:
terry

Attachments

• SIMPLE GUIDE TO 12 VOLT LCD TV FOR MOTORHOMES.doc
    2.9 KB · Views: 47

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Many thanks - I've looked on the Maplins online stroe site and can only find this:

Link Removed

Is this what I need? Or is it something else?

It has multi voltages and different tips to suit whatever you want to run from it. Sorry I dont have a link but they were on offer a few weeks ago. If you have a store close bye then they should have them on the shelf. I think its called a stabilised voltage supply. They are not expensive, but could save you a lot of expense and I have used mine a lot so can recommend.

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Or you can make up a lead and wire it directly to your battery or 12v plug/ariel :winky:
terry

Yes. I've done this without any issues but I've never had an expensive "motorhome" TV. Apparently some manufacturers make noise that you must use a regulated supply or the warranty is invalid - but this is often quoted by those selling regulated supplies. :RollEyes:

Many plug-top and in-line DC supplies vary wildly from the stated voltage with some giving 17 volts - that's a 40% variation with no apparent impact.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
The battery itself works as quite a good stabiliser :thumb:Never had a problem over the last 12 yrs or so -always been wired direct to battery/ariel plug
terry

OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
It has multi voltages and different tips to suit whatever you want to run from it. Sorry I dont have a link but they were on offer a few weeks ago. If you have a store close bye then they should have them on the shelf. I think its called a stabilised voltage supply. They are not expensive, but could save you a lot of expense and I have used mine a lot so can recommend.

That's the job. Two ordered. Many thanks to all.:Smile:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I have an Avtex in the van but also fitted a cheap flat screen TV/DVD (ÂŁ99) in front of the travel seats for the boys to watch whilst travelling.

I just made up a simple 12v lead consisting of a cigarette plug at one end and the right plug for the Tv at the other in lieu of the 240v transformer.

12v system ranges from about 12.1 to 14.1 V on the NASA BM-1

Tv has been working perfectly for 3 years.....

Still as good as new. No need for additional fancy regulated stabilised things etc.......:thumb:i

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
You will need a voltage stabiliser to iron out any 'spikes' in the supply or else you will damage the TV. You won't have any issues though once you have this - they work perfectly well.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
The voltage stabiliser's job is nothing to do with "spikes" it is simply there to give a regulated 12 volt output. Some domestic TVs (not all but some) have the voltage regulation built into the 230v/12v power brick, the TV itself in this case often has no voltage regulation and can be sensitive to voltages in excess of 12volt DC. I have personally seen plenty of domestic TVs of this nature with blown backlights because they were run from a motorhome's battery without voltage regulation.

The multi voltage regulator from Maplin needs to be used with caution as it is only the lower voltages that are regulated, the 12v setting is in fact a direct pass through with no regulation whatsoever.

D.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The battery itself works as quite a good stabiliser :thumb:
terry

10V -> 15V that's stretching the word "stabilise" a bit.

I'm one of the direct connect people, but I have a good chance of fixing it if it blows up, which the Kogan has not in 2 years now.

Well I did blow it up, by reversing the polarity when I repositioned the TV recently, luckily it just popped a soldered in fuse. Damned Germans - they got me - brown wire = 0V. I knew this, but brain fade kicked in.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Motorhome Voltage Stabilisers,

Motorhome TV's

Motorhome Leisure Batteries,

Motorhome Food Grade Fresh Water Hoses,

Motor Home Cassette Toilet Chemicals,

Motorhome GPS......

Just some of the many ways to try and get Motorhomers to uneccesarily part with even more of their hard earned cash...

:Doh:

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years

Motorhome TV's

Motorhome GPS......

Just some of the many ways to try and get Motorhomers to uneccesarily part with even more of their hard earned cash...

It could be worse. You could have a boat :Eeek:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I've used a 12v TV (cheap from Comet) for 12 years without a stabiliser, in 4 different vans. It has an external digital TV box as it wasn't invented when I bought the TV but is still going strong.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Motorhome TV's

Motorhome GPS......

aint that the truth :Sad:

stick the word 'motorhome' in front of a pisspot and the price doubles. :Angry:

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Technika

have had this cheapTV from Tesco for 4 yrs now.
I plug it into the two pronged 12v socket and its always worked for me

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back