When in Europe Pay in € not £ (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Increasingly in the Eurozone we are given the opportunity to pay in £. This article in today's Daily Fail sets out the dangers of doing so.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...great-holiday-spending-racket-add-5-bill.html

Moneysupermarket.co.uk says this

Card users beware: dynamic currency conversion

Merchants and retailers overseas might offer you something called 'dynamic currency conversion'. This means they charge you in Sterling (or for overseas readers, whatever your currency may be) rather than the currency of the country you're travelling in. This can be convenient and gives you a familiar perspective of the price you're paying - but you will normally be hit with a higher exchange rate for this service so never use it and always CHECK before signing anything or entering your PIN - they might not always ask! So if you see a conversion, make sure you ask to be billed in the local currency.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Its a scam isn't it?

We have just got one of those charge cards that you prepay in Euros so I hope that overcomes the problem.

Thanks for posting that.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Yep, do the exchange over here before you go and pay in the local currency, that way you only get shafted once. :cry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BobT

Free Member
Jun 15, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
European payments

All of our tour leaders are issued with a credit card and a cash card. They always pay bills in euros, even with the credit card. The cash card is pre-loaded with the relevant amount of Euros and this way they have 2 payment options and we have only one exchange to make. I would recommend the Caxton Euro card - we use them and find them very efficient.

Jul 14, 2011
Charente Maritime
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 18
Exp
I'm a newbie, 15 years touring.
We have a Nationwide credit card that we use for ALL our purchases over €10. I then pay it off monthly on their website, from my Nationwide flex a/c.
I used to use my Nationwide debit card to withdraw euro's at ATMs (but since they introduced a transaction charge I stopped using it). I now use our Credit Agricole card to withdraw euro's.
Thankfully I've not bought in sterling, no store, restaurant etc has even tried asking.
We moved here last november, before that we spent about 3 months a year here for 12 years.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi Jim
We went to Switzerland last September, At the border we purchased the vinyet the girl said 40 euros NO we gave her 40 Swiss Francs which was a lot cheaper in the exchange rate, how many fall for that one. :Angry: :Angry: Pete

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back