When and why to use Steadies

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by nannyjan, May 14, 2010.

1. nannyjan

nannyjan Read Only Funster

Can anyone tell me how important it is to use steadies. If only parking up for one night and parked on quite level ground is it necessary to use steadies then.

Is it bad for the suspension if they are not used?

Looking forward to seeing all booked into Newbury. Perhaps someone could show me how best to use steadies if I need to use them there. Thanks

:Smile:
    Keep smiling regards Nannyjan

2. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

I can only tell youthat in 6 years of MHing I have never used them, in fact I could not use them if I wanted to as there are non fitted.

Doug...

3. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Steadies are not always necessary it depends on the motorhome and of course what you are doing in it!. "If this van is rockin, don't come a knockin" was a popular motorhome sticker for a while:BigGrin: If you have a Luton with kids in it, you will need the steadies down, any movement up in the luton really shakes the whole van.

Otherwise, I wouldn't bother:Smile:

4. dazzer

dazzer Read Only Funster

Steadies are good for taking the bounce out of the suspension or propping up a low corner but thats about all. They are not really strong enough to be used for levelling unlike the RV systems which are capable of actually lifting the vehicle off the ground

5. Dodgey

Dodgey Funster

As a rule MHs don't need steadies, they are just there for those that want a stable parked experience.

Our RV has full leveling jacks, sometimes we do sometimes we don't, obviously with our system it can level the van as long as we're not wildly of, but then I tend to 'shuffle' about on a pitch, field whatever and try and start reasonably level in the first place.

If you're far of level, level with ramps under the relevant wheel/s and then drop steadies, though you may find (van dependant) you need a block under to get the reach.

6. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

as with Doug, I have never ever used them. My current MH has them fitted.

I think Jim's probably right, fitted to stop the van rocking :Wink:

7. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

8. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

We have steadys at the rear only, never use them.:thumb:

9. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

would you mind if your house rocked as you walked from room to room ?

of course you would !

then why allow your motorhome to rock and sway ?
    after all, this is your home from home.

if you have them, then use them....it only takes a few minutes to lower them and even i can wait a minute or two before the first beers opened. :RollEyes::Laughing:

the only time i'd say dont is if you're wild camping and may need to move sharpish.

same thing applies to levelling......if your house was on a lean you'de do something about it.

10. TonyIsh UK

TonyIsh UK Read Only Funster

Only time I have used them was on soggy ground, to stop the rear wheels "puddling" their way into the ground. Seemed to work as we had a h*ll of job releasing them as the m/home had sunk a bit.

Rgds

11. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

I have four fitted to my motorhome, two at the rear and two side facing just behind the rear axle and I deploy them anytime we intend to stay for more than eight hours. My house doesn't wobble when I move around in it and I don't see why it should be acceptable for my MH to either. I have "Atwood" style jacks which can lift up to 500KGs each so in theory I could lift the entire rear end of my motorhome off the ground with all four.

D.

12. atakd

atakd Read Only Funster

My avatar shows the only place we ever used them in Bourg d'Oissan in the Alps when I thought a katabatic wind was going to blow the van over in the middle of the night. Moving wasn't an option as we were in 4 ft of snow at the time.

13. Wintonian

Wintonian Read Only Funster

We have a pair of very heavy duty rear steadies for our old Hymer. They fit into two special sockets attached to the chassis and are ratcheted down to take the weight of the vehicle. Without a doubt it improves the liveability in the vehicle, stopping all sideways movement.

Using them can have no deleterious effect on your suspension.

14. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Just to clear up any confusion, on a standard coachbuilt/camper etc motorhome (ie not American RVs) these are just STEADIES they are NOT meant to support the weight of the motorhome/camper, they are just there to do what they are called and STEADY it and stop if moving from side to side etc so should only be put up sufficiently to do this and not to actually take the weight.

Bear in mind that they are not always attached to points underneath which are load bearing and therefore if you do use them to actually take the weight of your motorhome you can do some damage to the structure/floor etc. Dave's van conversion, being a home build, is very much the exception - if you tried to lift the motorhome on standard steadies you could be in for a lot of grief and serious wallet trouble!:Eeek:

Steadies - we had them on our Rapido 709F (why I really don't know as it had such a pert little bottom it never needed them! :RollEyes: ), our Rimor Sailer on the other hand had a very large bottom and although we could have used them to steady it, as we'd had air-ride suspension assistance put on the rear, we never bothered and didnt' have a problem. But, if you have a saggy bottom :Eek!: or swing :Wink: then there's no harm in using them so long as you do it sensibly.:thumb:

15. 656

656 Read Only Funster

Airide is the answer, stability on the road and when parked :Laughing::Eeek::Laughing:

16. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

No steadies fitted to our Autoquest 100 but because of the short rear overhang we've never had a problem with the van rocking.

Graham

17. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

Wow !!!!

Jack 'em right down and watch the sparks fly as you hurtle down the road !!!
    Better than fireworks.....Thunderbird 69..Eat your heart out !!:Rofl1: :Rofl1:

18. williat1

williat1 Read Only Funster

using steadies

Hi,

I have a rear wheel drive Ford based motorhome and I use the steadies when on soft slippery wet ground. I use a foot square 1" thick plywood board under the steadies to prevent them sinking into the ground.

I've found that in these adverse conditions if I'm sited for about a week without steadies then it's possible for the rear wheels to be sunk in a depression which might reduce traction when driving out. Evenings I often have six adults in my motorhome which is a bit of extra weight which can cause some movement when moving about.

I've never been stuck yet and it's quite possible that I may not have been stuck without the use of steadies, but If the're fitted why not use them, that's what they are for.

If you're never going to use them you might as well remove them to reduce weight!

Regards

Williat1

19. derekfaeberwick

derekfaeberwick Read Only Funster

Just park on a board or two then, Simples.

Steadies, you cannot be serious. Watch the damage when you pull away in the morning. ( What the ^eck was that ^ecking noise dahling?)

( That was the ^ecking arse ripping out of the ^ecking unwobbly housevan dahling:Doh:)

20. williat1

williat1 Read Only Funster

steadies

HI

Parking on a board or two won't improve stability with a few people moving about in a motorhome!

regards

Williat1