Wheel size

Discussion in 'Bikes and eBikes' started by stevec, Mar 30, 2015.

1. stevec

stevec Funster

We're looking to get some ebikes this year and I've just been looking at the myriad of bikes available. I quite like the 20" wheel versions due to smaller folded size (may be looking at a fixed bed van as next model so would store under) and also lighter weight (probably have to put on the rear bike rack on current van). What are peoples experience of differences in riding experience between 20" and 26" wheels? We don't expect to be doing any cross country riding!

2. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

The biggest thing the wheels affect on the road is the gearing. If you are going to hammer it the bigger the wheels the faster you will be able to go. Not sure how this applies to ebikes as I've never ridden one but that's the theory on normal bikes.

If you're a more leisurely type of rider don't worry about it and get whichever ones you want.

3. sabden

sabden Read Only Funster

Hi iam a newbe to the forum but I do know a bit about ebikes
    go for the bigger wheel its a much comfortable ride also have gears
    we gone from small no gear to a 20inch wheel with gears soooooooo much easier to ride and still light and folds although we have them on the back of the van easy to put on or take off and always give them a good charge before you leave home and don't fotget the helmet also it can get quite cold so wrap up try to stay on the flat but when not then use the gears also if you do keep them set up always give them a good wipe down
    1 more thing don't go in water that will be above the batterys bottom a friend did this last weekend with a new bike and killed it

4. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

Bigger wheels will always mean more stability, and more comfort and confidence, we have tried both, but prefer the larger wheeled ones, but other may prefer smaller wheels, try before you buy is the answer.
    Also, go for a bike with a 36volt battery of at least 10 amps for better range.

5. Baggers53

Baggers53 Funster

We have AS Coventry electric bikes. My wife has a 22" bike, which is much lighter and nearly as fast as my 26" bike. If I was going to choose again I would opt for 22" bikes for both of us. Hope this helps. Mike