Wheel size: 16 or 17", pros & cons? (1 Viewer)

Dafydd

Free Member
Oct 12, 2011
St Davids, West Wales
Funster No
MH
Frankia on order
Exp
Hi all
I'm looking at the options for a new campervan (on a Sprinter, single (ie not twin) rwd).
I can choose the standard 16 inch wheels or optional 17 inch wheels. Purely for reasons of vanity or aesthetics I'm drawn towards paying the extra for larger wheels. Besides the initial extra cost, are there any pros or cons to the two different wheel sizes? Does the wheel size make any difference?

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
makes a difference to final drive ratio affecting torque and fuel consumption but don't ask me which way.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
what is the height of the respective tyre walls?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
possibly need a speedo recalibration as well ???? .just a thought
ta andy

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
16" are most common..
So to my way of thinking if you have a problem and need a tyre then you will find a 16" easier..

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I would think the 17" option have a lower aspect ratio to give a similar overall diameter. I would avoid what will most certainly be a harder ride.

OP
OP
Dafydd

Dafydd

Free Member
Oct 12, 2011
St Davids, West Wales
Funster No
MH
Frankia on order
Exp
makes a difference to final drive ratio affecting torque and fuel consumption but don't ask me which way.
Haha! Great answer! You might consider standing for election with that kind of question answering skill ;)
So fuel consumption and torque may be affected..... in some way..... Well, you've given me something to google at least!

OP
OP
Dafydd

Dafydd

Free Member
Oct 12, 2011
St Davids, West Wales
Funster No
MH
Frankia on order
Exp
I would think the 17" option have a lower aspect ratio to give a similar overall diameter. I would avoid what will most certainly be a harder ride.
I think you may be right. As far as I can tell the tyres for the standard 16" inch wheels are 235 65 and for the 17 inch are 235 60.
So the bigger wheels would result in a harder ride (less comfy, more rattling/banging from contents of kitchen)?

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
If you are choosing from new, the wheel tyre combination will have the same rolling circumference so there is no change to the calibration of the speedo, mileometer. In the same way as a car to do this then the larger wheel will have a smaller sidewall and maybe a harder ride depending on pressures. There will be no chage to performance and little change to mpg

It's a UK thing to go for larger wheels and rubber band tyre, cars supplied in Europe generally go for smaller wheels, bigger sidewalls and an softer ride.

You really need to test drive the van to see which ride suits, but having an ECO car with 16" wheels and balloon tyres, I'm at that age where I have appreciated the softer ride and the increased rubber that has protected the alloys from scuffs and kerbing

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
If its a new van it wont make any difference other than looks and possibly a slightly firmer ride in the case of the 17 inch wheels.
The 17 inch tyres might have less availability come replacement time.

OP
OP
Dafydd

Dafydd

Free Member
Oct 12, 2011
St Davids, West Wales
Funster No
MH
Frankia on order
Exp
16" are most common..
So to my way of thinking if you have a problem and need a tyre then you will find a 16" easier..
That's worth thinking about, as well as the harder ride from bigger wheels that you mentioned.

OP
OP
Dafydd

Dafydd

Free Member
Oct 12, 2011
St Davids, West Wales
Funster No
MH
Frankia on order
Exp
If you are choosing from new, the wheel tyre combination will have the same rolling circumference so there is no change to the calibration of the speedo, mileometer. In the same way as a car to do this then the larger wheel will have a smaller sidewall and maybe a harder ride depending on pressures. There will be no chage to performance and little change to mpg

It's a UK thing to go for larger wheels and rubber band tyre, cars supplied in Europe generally go for smaller wheels, bigger sidewalls and an softer ride.

You really need to test drive the van to see which ride suits, but having an ECO car with 16" wheels and balloon tyres, I'm at that age where I have appreciated the softer ride and the increased rubber that has protected the alloys from scuffs and kerbing
Thanks for that extra technical info, bigger wheels = smaller side wall.
Between yourself and Techno100 I think I'm being persuaded to forget the urge for the bigger wheels (wherever it comes from, childhood memories of Tonka toys perhaps!) for the practical considerations.
Exactly the input I was looking for, thanks.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back