Wheel Alignment Check

Discussion in 'Fiat' started by Arzedby, May 1, 2016.

1. Arzedby

Arzedby Funster

Picked up new Ducato based Pilote MH, a couple of weeks ago and have been going through the manuals and paperwork. Have just noticed, in the warranty information, that "It is essential that the wheel alignment is checked after 900 Miles (1500 km)", otherwise the warranty would be invalidated. Now, aside from the fact that no one at the Dealers saw fit to mention this so that I have had to find out myself, I was wondering if this was the norm? I can't find a mention of it in the Fiat servicing book or manual.

2. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

I've never heard of that

3. Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo Funster Life Member

Like Andy I have never heard of that ,but then again I tend not too read the small print:rolleyes: but if that is what it says then I would do it and make sure it is documented.
    Brian & Jo

4. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Surely, if that's specified for that mileage, then it will be part of your first 'free' service/safety check?? o_O

• Like Like x 1
  5. dbnosey

dbnosey Funster

Hi Arzedby
    Having also got a 12 month old Pilote "A" class and never seeing such information. What model is yours, and were in the paperwork did you find this. I am most interested in this due to having new VB comfort front coil springs fitted next week.
    Colin

6. Techno

To be honest I did not believe that the wheel alignment is adjustable
    I thought that all the suspension parts dictated the correct castor camber etc
    There is no reason why toe in out would vary from initial manufacture unless a collision had occurred

7. Arzedby

Arzedby Funster

Hi Colin.
    It is a P650C. I bought through Davan nr Weston Super Mare. It is one of the Warranty Conditions stated on the Pilote Manufacturers Warranty Certificate.

"Warning! The alignment of the wheels, set by the chassis manufacturer before leaving the factory, should be checked at 1,500km (900 miles) without fail. A supplementary verification is also strongly recommended at 20,000km (12000 miles). The cost for such check-ups shall be borne by the user."

The first Fiat Service is not required until 2 years or 48000km (30000 miles). I don't believe there is a "First free service/safety check" as such. I will be getting it done of course, but it not something I have come across before. But then I have never owned a brand new Motorhome before either.
    ::bigsmile:

8. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Nothing about it on the info for our new Hymer A class based on the Ducato.

Too late now, since we have put 4000 miles on it since buying it in November!

9. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

Is is it in the Pilote manual or the Fiat one?
    Might be specific to the Fiat Van rather than the Motorhone which may have a different chassis - I'd suggest asking the dealer if you're unsure.

10. Arzedby

Arzedby Funster

I have also now found the same warning in the Pilote User Manual provided with the MH. It is in the " Discover your motorhome" section at the front of the Base - Chassis subsection witha big Red Triangle and exclamation mark to make sure it is not missed. According to the symbol code in the manual, this is a warning of risk or injury. "if you ignore this remark, you may place other people in danger."

11. Techno

Sounds like one of those Fiat ploys to throw crumbs to main dealers
    So they are saying just in case we didn't assemble it right at the factory you must have it checked at YOUR expense
    UNBELIEVABLE

12. Arzedby

Arzedby Funster

I haven't found any reference to it in the Fiat servicing information. I will book it into my Fiat service center and ask them if they think it is necessary.

I guess Pilote could be saying that excessive vibrations caused by incorrect wheel alignment could cause damage to the MH coachbuilt and appliances.

Ray

13. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

Funny coincidence
    On our new Carthago the ride wasn't as good as I expected.

A visit to a commercial tyre depot discovered incorrect wheel alignment and incorrect wheel balancing
    The tyre pressures recommended by Carthago and the pressures used by the dealer (which were different) were also incorrect, according to the tyre manufacturers

With these three issuea corrected, the ride is amazingly good

14. dbnosey

dbnosey Funster

So if all the above is correct. Why do most "A" class coach built manufacturers use the standard front suspension which bottoms out or runs on the bump stops. Therefore restricting the suspension travel which cause vibration and a rougher ride. I think Hymer now fit updated coil springs on new models to overcome this.
    Again I have found that most MH converters recommend a much higher tyre pressure than the tyre manufacturer recommends resulting in a much harsher ride.
    With regard to the measurement of the tracking, caster and camber this can alter with a vehicle being lightly loaded are heavily loaded.
    Colin

15. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Not sure I can agree with that, from my limited experience. The highest pressures were recommended by Fiat, rather than the converter, with both of my motorhomes. My new A class Hymer had uprated springs at the front as part of a package specced by the dealer - but AFAIK that was so it could run at 4.5t. Certainly not running on bump stops and with us fully loaded and fuelled it has over 400kg to spare on the maximum axle load at the front, but only 90kg to spare on the back axle. That is why the tyre pressure on the front are about 20psi less than that on the back.

In my experience with a long rear overhang and a big tempting garage it is always much easier to overload the rear axle than the front. Short of strapping our scooter to the front bumper I can't see anyway I can get anywhere near the front axle's maximum load.

The only time we have had vibrations, or a rougher/harsher ride was when we were driving on Italy's (and some of the UK's!) potholed and broken roads.