Whats your favourite cheese? (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
In a French market find the person selling their home produced goats cheese. Never buy the stuff in a supermarket reputed to be goats cheese!

I agree on the market side , but indeed, I can't be fooled on goat cheese. If I buy a goat cheese, I'd know straight away if it wasn't the case. I love goat cheese.... Such a different taste!

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I agree on the market side , but indeed, I can't be fooled on goat cheese. If I buy a goat cheese, I'd know straight away if it wasn't the case. I love goat cheese.... Such a different taste!
Er, I know what you said to me in your last post love, and I am truly chastened.......In fact, I cant apologise enough........:(:(:(:(

However, I have a picture here to make amends. (y) It's a highly educated French goat I know who only eats goats cheese. OK, I know, call it cannibalism, but hey, who are we to judge?? :)

goat.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
@Tootles - you really should try Epoisses; it is close as you can get to good old fashioned English Cheddar. Have a look for it next time in France - don't be fooled by the box it comes in. Truly mild and delicious

I'm sure that @yodeli will agree with me.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
@Tootles - you really should try Epoisses; it is close as you can get to good old fashioned English Cheddar. Have a look for it next time in France - don't be fooled by the box it comes in. Truly mild and delicious

Are you sure??o_O

About Epoisses cheese
A French cow's milk cheese washed with Marc de Bourgogne, which imparts a robust fruity flavor, and a salty rich pinch to your tongue. The cheese is sometimes runny and needs to be served with a spoon.
Substitute for Epoisses cheese
Iguana Pee.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Let me consider that for a bit.....o_O

Yes. (y)
No, honestly.....you will love it's mild creamy flavour. As for eating wit' spoon - you should be a natural at it, being from oop norf......

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
As for eating wit' spoon - you should be a natural at it, being from oop norf......
You can complement me as much as you like, but sorry, I wont fall into the trap of eating that foreign muck, as we also say 'oop norf'.

OP
OP
Jo662
May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010

Noted and one to look for!Thank you.(y)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
You can complement me as much as you like, but sorry, I wont fall into the trap of eating that foreign muck, as we also say 'oop norf'.
Ok, fair comment.......

For a good old fashioned English cheese you really should try "Stinking Bishop" - mild, subtle and delicate like your good self, sir (y)

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Roquefort the best cheese in the world, nothing like it with a lump of french bread a few grapes and a glass of Red or Rose.:rolleyes:
The factory is worth a visit as is the guided tour, they actually make 3 varieties but only export the one in the green wrapper the black is my favourite :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
"Donnez-moi votre argent maintenant , ou je vais violer vos magasins chat" You will get instant and courteous attention. (y)
I think, but couldn't be certain, but using my rusty French I think you're saying something like:

"Give me your attention now our I will have your shops cat!" ... what it means in reality is, thankfully, only in your mind! :X3:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
As a kid used to eat lots of Red Leicester but nowadays its too much like rubber so I tend to go for a mature Cheddar and take loads with me on holiday. I do like a soft cheese, Brie or even the stuff in a tub, with a nice bit of crusty bread, or a baguette (not the ones like a toilet roll inner stuffed with a dried sea sponge though!). Can't stand blue/smelly cheese of any sort though ... yuk!

Hubby once got a bit carried away eating some Camembert and suffered the consequences big-time!!!! :D Served the greedy s*d right! :LOL:

One tip, if you have some soft cheese, such as Brie etc have some cranberry sauce/jelly with it - it's absolutely gorgeous! (y)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I think, but couldn't be certain, but using my rusty French I think you're saying something like:

"Give me your attention now our I will have your shops cat!" ... what it means in reality is, thankfully, only in your mind! :X3:
That sounds about right, though I think you may have been a little diplomatic on the fate of the cat.....

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
That sounds about right, though I think you may have been a little diplomatic on the fate of the cat.....
... I didn't really want to 'think' about what Tootles REALLY meant ... don't want nightmares! :eek:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We came across a cheese festival in Banon in Provence on our last trip. An amazing experience. They had LOTS of cheese on offer.

OI000052.jpg

The local goats cheese was the best we came across. Wrapped in Chestnut leaves.

P5220159.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I can't stand rubber cheese, and especially the plastic stuff they sell in massive quantities abroad ... it's like eating softened credit cards!!!! As for the sausages ... more plastic stuff ... we can never understand why people love it.

Last edited:

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We like a nice cheddar with a bit of oomph or if in France we go for Comte.

Paul

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
No cheese is better than any other, sometimes more suitable for a particular purpose but usually you just prefer it. My own choices would be

Hard cheese - Salers or Cantal Vieux
Soft cheese - Carre d'Aurillac
Goat - any AOC Rocamadour cabecou

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
I used to enjoy a piece of Danish Blue until my daughter-in-law took me to task saying she was surprised at me, as I am always banging on about buying British.

Well I agreed to try to find a British equivalent but couldn't find one.

A few years ago we were out on our narrowboat and in a shop up north somewhere - can't remember just where as we went to many many places up north - I found some Blacksticks Blue. Delicious! trouble is it is not always available in our local shops so I tried some Shropshire Blue - which is actually yellow! Shropshire Blue is second favourite to Blacksticks when I want a blue cheese, but for everyday cheese I like a west country Cheddar.

Dave

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Roquefort the best cheese in the world, nothing like it with a lump of french bread a few grapes and a glass of Red or Rose.:rolleyes:
The factory is worth a visit as is the guided tour, they actually make 3 varieties but only export the one in the green wrapper the black is my favourite :)
I've only recently "discovered" Roquefort, in the sense of how good it is. I must have had it in the past but now we get some regularly, plenty of taste but not too strong. :)

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
I can't stand rubber cheese, and especially the plastic stuff they sell in massive quantities abroad ... it's like eating softened credit cards!!!! As for the sausages ... more plastic stuff ... we can never understand why people love it.

Wow! Something we have in common. Whoop, whoop!

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
I can't stand rubber cheese, and especially the plastic stuff they sell in massive quantities abroad ... it's like eating softened credit cards!!!!

I could not agree more - your supermarkets are full of it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back