LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We would rather run with the trucks than keep overtaking them (or they keep overtaking us) 50mph is too slow for auto-box to "lock" but if we get a clear road our "best" speed is 55-60, the truck camper (demountable) is affected more by the wind than the 5th wheel, as we found out on the run to Malvern. We have not used either enough to be able to give an accurate MPG figure for either but, at the moment we would say that there is not much between them,15 with 5er and 17 with TC and 20 without either. The only time I switch o/drive off is when the box can't decide for itself!!!!!
We really enjoyed the show and stopped of at Sacrewell Farm for a couple of nights on the way home, it's a bit dear but is very nice, a lot of space and loads for the younger kids.
Nigel & Pamala

muz

Free Member
Nov 15, 2007
eastwood notts
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
10 years
hi all,i run at 55 to60 and the chevy 8.1 is at 2000rpm and 2100rpm the rv returns 9mpg on average but that is towing a merc vaneo with my electric wheelchair in it.i always run on lpg if i go any slower the gearbox keeps changing into a lower gear so its really happy at these speeds.muz

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Hi

Now that explains the eyes on your avatar

black and blue from all the bumps - no I think its a great portrait John, where did you go to have it taken lol

stew

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Hi

Now that explains the eyes on your avatar

black and blue from all the bumps - no I think its a great portrait John, where did you go to have it taken lol

stew

In a Tesco booth:winky:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I brim the tank (fill) set my trip mileometer to 0 then when i next fill up see how many litres i have used and divide it it by 4.54 to give me gallons.

Then i divide the mileage by the gallons I have used.

Thats what was missing, well done John

Jim :Smile:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Anywhere between 50-70 depending on road conditions and traffic.

Im a firm believer in getting from a-b asap so we can crack open a nice chilled bottle of vino!!! :thumb:

We get about 15ish mpg from the Concord without the toad, towing the Jeep we get about 12ish but travel at a slower speed.:Sad:

I did get the old girl up to 90mph when I picked it up from the docks and it was fully unloaded with a 1/2 tank of fuel, but you could actually see the fuel guage moving :Eeek: which was a little un-nerving!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I have to say i find it a bit ironic that so many people with Euro vans moan about the lack of power and top speed when us lot with RVs with more power than you can shake a stick at deliberatley slow down to save fuel :Doh:

As far as the o/d is concerned ive never turned it off yet and just leave the engine/transmission to do its thing. I do turn off the cruise though when on hilly roads as the constant gear changes and engine reving its nuts off does my head in!!:Angry:

I like to save money on fuel costs as much as the next man but if you have to worry about the costs of fuel in an RV you cant afford to own 1!!:cry:

Phil

Free Member
Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
Hi Tony, why do you say Coachmen isn't an RV? Or am I missing something? :Eeek:

Phil

Phil

Free Member
Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
Hi Tony, are you sure it's me that's not reading it correctly?? I was only trying to be helpful.

Phil.

P

paulmj

Deleted User
I generally cruise at around 57 ish. Wouldn't dare work out the mpg though! :ROFLMAO:

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Not had ours long but seemed to be getting mid 20s with careful driving. We only have a Merc 410d Hymer but I did cruise at over 70mph (on the sat nav) comfortably on the motorway. Only trouble is this brought the mpg down to 18. Think I'll try and keep it below 60 in the future. :Blush:

D

davemittan

Deleted User
I have tried 50, 55, 60 and 65 but still get the same MPG

Also where do you use your overdrive? I have been leaving mine on always but most of my journeys are getting in and out of Wales (OK i know all the jokes:roflmto:) with up and downs all the way and wonder if I left it off would it be better using some more revs and the engine not labouring so much?

I usually have our Cruise Control set at 58 mph (on Interstate highways) - that seems to be the optimum speed for mileage with our Sprinter 3500 chassis. (Merc 3 liter V-6). That usually gets us between 15½ and 16 mpg.

Overdrive is on all the time, unless CC wants to downshift for a grade.

Dave Mittan
Arkansas

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back