whats your "back up meal" ? (2 Viewers)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Much as the very thought of a Big Mac makes me cringe, in France, McD do offer very good coffee and they have a separate area where you order coffee and cakes. When travelling down to our village by car it's the first choice for coffee and a widdle.;) No idea if they are as good in other countries.
McD in France.:)

When travelling on a hot day we tend to call in for a McFlurry ice cream. Delicious sitting outside on a hot day. Fortunately our Sat nag came preloaded with McD locations.(y)

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
No tins. As someone else said we don't eat tinned at home. (might try the cassoulet though) If we're desperate and short of time or its really late we have fresh tortellini in the freezer and add a sauce. Tortellini cooks in about 5 mins from frozen.

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
just been shopping with her who must be obeyed and I said we need to get some basics for the van plus our go to meal when we run out - which isn't very often but it is always nice to have something in.

which got me thinking "what does everybody else do ?"

anyway our backup is real simple but enjoyable probably because of that....

corned beef, beans and tinned potatoes - a la cornedbeef hash.

obviously it takes time to select a good wine to go with it and I have been known to spend more than £2.50 on a full bottle - occasionally!(Yorkshire born and bred)

so what's yours ??

Mine would be the bottle of wine!:wine:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Thank you will give em a try cos we loves Canard!

I'm in hiding (see the avatar)

Much as the very thought of a Big Mac makes me cringe, in France, McD do offer very good coffee and they have a separate area where you order coffee and cakes. When travelling down to our village by car it's the first choice for coffee and a widdle.;) No idea if they are as good in other countries.

McD in the USA are better than in the UK (or the ones we tried were) and did gluten free burgers in gluten free buns, result.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
Like the breakfasts, egg muffin and hash browns :)
And the cinnamon buns in America :)

OP
OP
MannClan

MannClan

Free Member
Dec 5, 2015
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
coachbuild
Exp
approx 2003
wow - I seem to have opened a can of (put your own filling in here).
cannot believe how many times "cassoulet" has been mentioned. think I am definitely on the side of the beers and wine brigade - but don't tell her indoors !!

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Always have biscuits and cheese, tinned sardines and tuna, pasta and stuff to make sauce with. Also carry a couple of tins of curry, not for me, would rather have a bowl of cereal or an omelette. Am on 2nd tin of corned beef first one chucked out as well past its sell by date.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
"obviously it takes time to select a good wine to go with it and I have been known to spend more than £2.50 on a full bottle - occasionally!(Yorkshire born and bred)"

HOW MUCH!

Had to be said. Fellow proud Tyke
Our best buy has to be a Cabinet Sauvignon from Auchan @ €6.99 for 5 litres. Really nice but unfortunately now all gone, LOL!

Joe

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
A tinnie, either food or liquid.
Prefer solid tinnies spicy, curry, chilli etc.
If not available liquids coooooooool.
Hunger soon wears off
:sleep:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
An alternative to bacon if you are desparate is tinned bacon grill ... we always have some as a back-up in case we scoff all the proper bacon early in the holiday!

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I always carry at least 4 SuperNoodles curry flavour and 2 packets of Savoury Golden Rice.
Mixed with whatever tins I have in the cupboard can cover me for 2-4 days.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Truffles and left over venison with a nice Rioja, always a good reserve meal. It's a toss up between that and scrambled eggs.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
we have carried emergency rations of packet savoury rice or pasta and tinned curry/chilli. also carry tins of soup and long life take n bake rolls. have also resorted to using them on many occasions

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Bromyard, Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
Surstromming!!!!!!! Actually, Sundowners had this stashed for emergencies, and/or inflicting on funsters. I am sure it was very nutritious, but as I savoured my first mouthful, I noticed that every other funster downwind staggered 10 feet back.

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
As soon as I saw the title I knew what to say and good old fashioned corned beef hash is ours too. I keep ready diced onion in a bag in the freezer and add to tin of corned beef, tin of new potatoes, tin of carrots. Pickled red cabbage, slice of bread and butter and bottle of wine. Sorted!

OP
OP
MannClan

MannClan

Free Member
Dec 5, 2015
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
coachbuild
Exp
approx 2003
Truffles and left over venison with a nice Rioja, always a good reserve meal. It's a toss up between that and scrambled eggs.
boy are you posh or what !!! surely should have been spinach?
although I am prepared to drink your rioja

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
As soon as I saw the title I knew what to say and good old fashioned corned beef hash is ours too. I keep ready diced onion in a bag in the freezer and add to tin of corned beef, tin of new potatoes, tin of carrots. Pickled red cabbage, slice of bread and butter and bottle of wine. Sorted!
Where's the baked beans? Can't have a hash without them! Certainly never had red cabbage with it.

Joe

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
Always remember when Del boy was trying to think of the French name for duck....... Rodney said " its canard Del, canard". .... "I know it is Rodney, I been trying to remember it all day" :whistle: :LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back