EyUp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2016
Yorkshireman living in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Majestic 180
Exp
At the back of my lounge I have a drawer unit which looks to be screwed down on either side. However when lifting the cushions I see a webbing strap attached to the bed section and a locking buckle attached to the drawers with the webbing going through it.

Whats this for ? It doesn't seem to do owt !

I half thought id like to have the option to be able to remove these drawers and have some cushions made up to give us a bit more lounging about area in the classic U shape :)

C

PB060054.jpg
PB060056.jpg

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Is it a restraint to stop the drawers smacking you in the back of the head if you hit something HARD.

Martin

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Is there something similar at the other end of the bench?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Really ? Id have to be going some for the draw to fly 7mtrs :ROFLMAO:

Hmm!

If you suddenly stop then anything that is unrestrained will continue moving at the speed you were previously travelling at and it will rapidly overtake the front windscreen! The only thing that will slow them down before they too impact something solid is the air resistance (drag) within the van (I.e. Next to nothing).

Ian

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just wondering if they were being used as 'hinges' to allow the seat squab to be swung up ?
The only time I have ever seen such things were in caravans.. the bottom draw and cabinet below were not as appeared and were in fact a clever disguise for the pull out slats that converted the two side benches to one big double bed

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Have you took the drawers out to see what the webbing is attached to ?

OP
OP
EyUp

EyUp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2016
Funster No
MH
Majestic 180
Exp
Hmm!
The only thing that will slow them down before they too impact something solid is the air resistance (drag) within the van (I.e. Next to nothing).

Gravity would have it bouncing off the floor in no time.

I doubt very much that it would reach the front of the van without hitting the floor first with a head on stop. But yes, I appreciate that I wouldn't want it rolling around as I cartwheeled down the M1 at 80mph so a tie down makes sense.

OP
OP
EyUp

EyUp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2016
Funster No
MH
Majestic 180
Exp
Just wondering if they were being used as 'hinges' to allow the seat squab to be swung up ?
The only time I have ever seen such things were in caravans.. the bottom draw and cabinet below were not as appeared and were in fact a clever disguise for the pull out slats that converted the two side benches to one big double bed

Dont think so. The slats for the bed slide neatly under the drawers. I

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

I doubt very much that it would reach the front of the van without hitting the floor first with a head on stop. But yes, I appreciate that I wouldn't want it rolling around as I cartwheeled down the M1 at 80mph so a tie down makes sense.
It may hit the floor but the floor aint going to stop it....the dash would, the screen probably wouldnt.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Is it a Swift? Ours has the same. The slats under the side seats slide back to enable access to under the seats.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It IS a restraint/tie down.
Undo both straps and lift out the whole drawer unit.
My old kontiki had the same thing AND a cushion and backrest to replace it with.
The quadrant bead around the bottom is only secured to the base, not the drawer unit....or was it the other way round ?

OP
OP
EyUp

EyUp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2016
Funster No
MH
Majestic 180
Exp
Is it a Swift? Ours has the same. The slats under the side seats slide back to enable access to under the seats.

No Eldiss. My seat slats hing up. The webbing is attached to the wood the slats sit on.

I think the idea of the webbing to stop the unit ripping off and flying forward is sound but it just doesnt seem substantial enough in my eyes.
I would have thought it would have been more heafty than a plastic buckle !!

I suppose the thing to do is contact the dealer !

OP
OP
EyUp

EyUp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2016
Funster No
MH
Majestic 180
Exp
It IS a restraint/tie down.
Undo both straps and lift out the whole drawer unit.
My old kontiki had the same thing AND a cushion and backrest to replace it with.
The quadrant bead around the bottom is only secured to the base, not the drawer unit....or was it the other way round ?

Ill give it a go..... BRB

OP
OP
EyUp

EyUp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2016
Funster No
MH
Majestic 180
Exp
Well blow my socks off. It only lifts right off ! I had presumed that the whole unit was screwed securely down and the strap were somert else !

So I suppose the next question is.. would I go to my dealer for some foam and some same covering ? This is great, hopefully be able to try both systems and see what works best for us.

PB060058.JPG

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Mine had a couple of small offset pin brass door bolts rather than straps...much neater and a positive hold.
It also allows a 7ft x 6ft bed when you have the cushions.

OP
OP
EyUp

EyUp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2016
Funster No
MH
Majestic 180
Exp
Mine had a couple of small offset pin brass door bolts rather than straps...much neater and a positive hold.
It also allows a 7ft x 6ft bed when you have the cushions.

I must admit, it doesnt seem that secure ! I suppose they do some crash testing on these things though and deemed fit for purpose.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Must look at ours to see if the cupboard comes off. On top of ours, we have a tabletop that slides forwards then folds out to a large table

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I must admit, it doesnt seem that secure ! I suppose they do some crash testing on these things though and deemed fit for purpose.
I'm not sure that they do, I think Hymer might and possibly Bailey as I remember a video of some pretty catastrophic results in their first attempt.

Martin

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006

I doubt very much that it would reach the front of the van without hitting the floor first with a head on stop.

You didn't do physics at school then?

Rest assured the kinetic energy associated with your 20Kg (ish) travelling through your motorhome at 50mph(ish) is going to take some stopping!

Ian

OP
OP
EyUp

EyUp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2016
Funster No
MH
Majestic 180
Exp
Dont patronise me.

I didnt say it wouldn't take some stopping, what I said was 'I doubt very much that it would reach the front of the van without hitting the floor first with a head on stop'

I would bet a months wages that if my van stopped suddenly at 50mph there is no way that unit would not hit the floor before it reached me.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Dont patronise me.

I didnt say it wouldn't take some stopping, what I said was 'I doubt very much that it would reach the front of the van without hitting the floor first with a head on stop'

I would bet a months wages that if my van stopped suddenly at 50mph there is no way that unit would not hit the floor before it reached me.

It would seem that we have different views on the likely trajectory of the unit but I'd be surprised if the drag was such that the gravitational pull would result in it hitting the floor before it'd travelled 5m(ish).

If you're going to replace it with a cushioned insert it's academic

Ian

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I love reading of idealised physics. So at 50mph, the van comes to a dead stop. At this point the driver should be concerned about a cupboard some 20' away ignoring the pull of gravity? I think not! The driver would be more concerned with the mirror passing through his face.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
:D:D:D
I love reading of idealised physics. So at 50mph, the van comes to a dead stop. At this point the driver should be concerned about a cupboard some 20' away ignoring the pull of gravity? I think not! The driver would be more concerned with the mirror passing through his face.

Belt up!

Edit: why can't I get the smileys to show in my posted response - argh!

OP
OP
EyUp

EyUp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2016
Funster No
MH
Majestic 180
Exp
It just so happens my next door neighbour is a physics teacher at a private school. Ill get here round with here tape measure and some scales :cry:

Anyhow, thanks for the replies folks. Another 'mystery' solved. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back