Whats the etiquette on sites

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Lindylooj, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Lindylooj

Lindylooj Read Only Funster

Hi everyone.
    Have just enjoyed your 2 weeks touring Wales despite the rain, thank goodness for National Properties on those days. My question is, is there an etiquette as to which piece of grass is for your usage. Our van has the lounge door on the driver side so we tended to plonk our chairs on the grass bit to the left of the van, however someone then came next to us with a panel conversion van and it was on the hot day and we spent all our time having no choice but to watch them eating, whatever. They obviously didnt go much on that either as they had moved to another pitch early next morning. So really should we drive into the pitch so our door is on the right hand side or is it first come first served. Your views please. :Smile:

• Like Like x 2
  2. acting_strange

acting_strange

We were on a lovely site at Norfolk where those behind us just used to walk through and under our awning.....grrrrrr

3. Philb

Philb Read Only Funster

we have a european door sited on the right too. Tend to position so that the door opens away from other vans doors unless the view is too good to miss then we please ourselves, however we enjoy our privacy just like everyone else so its best to conform i think.. no great hardship

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

:Eeek:

Did you say anything?

Bloody cheek:shout:

• Like Like x 1
  5. JJ

JJ Funster

Another thread promoting the benefits of off-site parking...

No numbered pitches... move where you want and when you want...

...helps keep you away from thoughtless people... :Wink:

JJ :Cool:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
    • Like Like x 4
  6. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I never walk on others pitches, that people give no thought to others and walk across other pitches is strange. While i would not stand for someone walking under my awning I do find those that moan about people walking over a corner of their pitch the strangest of all:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 4
  7. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

I always use the nearside (passenger) side as "our" bit of grass.
    The habitation door is on that side on our Elddis.
    As most caravans are reversed onto a pitch, and most seem to have the door on the nearside, plus awning etc, I usually reverse onto a pitch to follow suite. This seems to work most of the time.
    If it means you have to drive or reverse onto a pitch to keep the staus quo, then that is what I would do.
    Everyone gets a bit of "privacy" area.

If someone was walking through our pitch and in our "privacy" area I would have a polite word. If this did not work then a stronger word. If this did not work it may be worth having a word with the site owner/warden/manager that this person was spoiling your enjoyment on their site, and you would have to consider not staying there again.
    I don't know what the rules are on a CC or C&CC site about that kind of thing, but I am sure a dim view would be taken of it.

8. Lindylooj

Plain bad manners in our book, no respect. Would annoy me too.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

If forced to use a site we always park with the hab door facing the same way as everyone else but if all else fails you could always do as this chap has done and fit a portcullis to all windows and park were you like :Rofl1:

Attached Files:

• 013.jpg
      013.jpg
      File size:
      97 KB
      Views:
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Lindylooj

I agree but there were only two places on this side of the road and we were there first so really I think maybe they should have placed their van so their door was on the other side but takes all sorts and it was only for one evening. :Smile:

11. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

I get a bit miffed when, parked on a grass pitch, a huge caravan towed by a monster truck parks next to me.

They then erect a huge awning which means that they then have to park their vehicle right outside my awning door.

Grrr....I take up a lot less space that they do but pay the same amount.

• Like Like x 4
  12. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

what annoyed me a little bit on one site recently was the motorhome that parked next to us, and promptly placing his satellite tripod on the grass to the right of his van and table and chairs to the left. Basically he wanted both strips of grass. not a problem in the end as it amused the missus to accidentaly bump his sat dish when going past with her scooter, knocking it out of allignment. Strangely he seemed to have the same problem a couple of times:Rofl1:

as to ettiquette, it is commonly accepted that in this country, the grass to the left/passenger side of pitch when reversed on is part of your pitch, and the opposite when on the continent. It is never appropriate to walk through another pitch without asking first. Much the same as walking across gardens of houses....just bad manners and lack of respect

• Like Like x 2
  13. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

Yes, that exactly reflects our thinking - we also have a European-sided hab door.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

Happy days !!

I met that guy on an aire near the Dune de Pilate !! :Cool: Very nice chap, we got absolutely trashed with him, Kay was alive then and it is one of my endearing memories of our time together !!
    Incidentally, it was on this aire that I took the picture of the goose ! Nuff sed !!:Cool:

• Like Like x 3
  15. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

The Scouts and Guides are trained to respect a lot of things especially other peoples tent sites and not to use them as short cuts.
    Hoever the clubs' policy of reversing onto a pitch whatever you have does not help the people with Continental or American vans. This is why we prefer CL/CSs no jobsworth warden,no unruly kids AND parents,and no marked regimented pitches. And best of all no showers and toilets closed at 11a.m. for cleaning.

16. Diabalo

Diabalo Funster

Ask them politely not to do it on the first time, if that doesn't work the next time they do it give em a clump

Simples

• Like Like x 4
  17. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

We met him in Zagora on a site. He arrived with his mate in this.

Attached Files:

• 014.jpg
      014.jpg
      File size:
      97.7 KB
      Views:
  18. mandymops

mandymops Read Only Funster

Crikey

I had no idea it was all so complicated. My doors at the back and My van's only 12'long. We put a little fishing brolly with 3 peg down sides and a couple of chairs by the side of the door. Should it be at the side? Have I been causing deep offence?:Eeek:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. 1_man_and_his_dob(lo)

1_man_and_his_dob(lo) Funster

Only to people who need to get a life.

I've been shown to a pitch at sites and the warden has witnessed me drive front on, reverse on, even park at 90°. Tent on the back. Tent on the side. No one has asked me to move.

So long as you're not so close to another pitch that you're staring into their awning I can't see it being a problem. It's probably more of an issue with big vehicles and their awnings because if 2 point at each other things could get cramped and intrusive. Egos could get bruised :RollEyes:

Whereas with the size of your 'van, just park in the middle of your pitch and the people next door will hardly see you :Wink:

I tend to point my 'van in a direction based on:
    1) Slope
    2) View
    3) Privacy
    4) Pointing the sun canopy towards the east, so I can dry my towel in the morning :Blush:
    etc.

• Like Like x 3
  20. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

door to door parking doesnt bother me so much...i dont care if the watch me drink eat etc.

what annoys me is, being the only unit on a CL/CS and some numpty arrives and parks right next to me....they have the whole bleedin' site to pitch on...why the need to be so close to others ? :Angry:

• Like Like x 4